Mount Cook Restaurants

• al2401's Profile Photo

Old Mountaineers Cafe, Restaurant and Bar: Great Organic food

by al2401 Written Jul 18, 2012

The Old Mountaineers Cafe

A great atmosphere with lots of natural timer and climbing artefacts. Open fires add to the snug feeling.

Much of he food offered is organic or naturally processed.

The view of Mt Cook from the huge picture window is spectacular.

Favorite Dish: I had a Mountaineer Burger which was your basic hamburger with the lot but the bacon was naturally cured without nitrites. It was wonderful bacon - tastly and definitely NOT out of a vacuum sealed packet. It was a large meal but delicious.

Mum had the Soup of the Day which was Carrot and Chili, and found it equally delicious.

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Chamois Bar: Best meal for the money in Mount Cook

by DSwede Written Jan 16, 2012
    Green Lipped Mussels

Unless you are packing your own food, there are only three dining options in Mount Cook. The two restaurants in the Hermitage Hotel are fine dining, but also take a hit on the wallet. The cafeteria or the "Sir Edmund Hillary Cafe" has adequate food, but again it is also very over priced for what you get.

If you go down the hill slightly from the Hermitage to the Mt Cook Backpacker Lodge, here you'll find the Chamois Bar and Restaurant. Its atmosphere is a lot more casual and its prices should not induce a heart attack.

Favorite Dish: The menu is written on the wall, so just walk up and order. The regular bar food like burgers and fish and chips are good, but if you like seafood, try the fish or better yet, the green lipped mussels.

• Beer Tasting

• I-Believe-I-Can-Fly's Profile Photo

The Hermitage Coffee Shop: Food with million dollar view

by I-Believe-I-Can-Fly Updated May 24, 2006

The View From The Restaurant

Since there is no much option for eating, we had our lunch in the Hermitage coffee shop. It serves a kind of fast food. Nothing special with the food, just like what we had in other coffee shops. But what I keep in mind is the view from the restaurant. We sat outside on its terrace, eating while admiring the view. Whatever we ate taste wonderful!

• National/State Park
    • Adventure Travel

• 2Cities1Love's Profile Photo

The Alpine Restaurant: Dinner with A View

by 2Cities1Love Written Nov 15, 2007

View From Our Table

We had a buffet dinner that included seafood, roast, vegies and more. The best part was the view. We were lucky enough to get a window table looking out to Mt Cook.

Instant Answers: Mount Cook

Comments

Mount Cook Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Mount Cook restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mount Cook sightseeing.