Mount Cook Range Travel Guide

by dragontml
    by dragontml

Mount Cook Range Things to Do

• Mount Cook Park

We also stop at the Park Visitors Centre for a short walk in the park.Mount Cook National Park encompasses 22 mountains over the height of 3000 metres, including New Zealand's highest mountain - Mt Cook, which is 3755 metres high.

• Mountains 6

We fly back towards Glentanner Park and over Tasman River. Unfortunately, this wonderful flight is coming to an end - but what memories and photographs. I am really glad we did this flight!

• Mountains 5

We really couldn't have wished for better weather for this flight, the sun is shining and there is a lovely blue sky. I am sure the flight wouldn't be quite so spectacular in grey dull weather. Talk about lucky!

• Mountains 4

We hit a couple of air pockets which make the plane drop rapidly - leaving your stomach up above in your throat. Nothing can detract from the fantastic scenery below though.

• Mountains 3

I am so captivated, I don't know which side to look, to take photos or to just awe! I am terrified of missing something by looking through the wrong window at the srong time!

• Mountains 2

Talk about spectacular. I am quite overwhelmed. This flight is - in my opinion - even better than the flight we took over Mount Everest and the Himalayas some years ago.

• Mountains 1

We fly right in amongst the mountains, it feels like we are so near that we can just reach out and touch them. I am amazed at just how low he can / is allowed to fly.

• Godley River

Godley River feeds Lake Tekapo with glacier water as it snakes its way along the bottom of the valley, making a beautiful pattern on the landscape.

• Lake Tekapo

We take off from the little airstrip near the lake and initially the flight goes over the beautiful turquoise waters of the lake. From up here you really can appreciate the clear bright colours of the lake and its little islands.

• Flightseeing

From the small airstrip near Tekapo we board a 16 seater plane, where everybody has a window seat. We sit in single seats, seven on each side plus two in the front (including the pilot).

• About the trip

We were on an organised coach tour of New Zealand, and the coach driver arranged for those of us who wanted to take this flight to board in Tekapo and he drove the rest of the passengers down to Glentanner Park to pick us up.

• The Route

Our flight took us from Tekapo, right over the mountains - Franz Josef Glacier, Fox Glacier, Mt Cook and Tasman Glcier down to Glentanner Park. We basically didn't follow the blue or the red line on the map, as we chartered the whole plane, we could choose our own route.

Mount Cook Range Transportation

• dragontml's Profile Photo

by dragontml Written Nov 17, 2003

There is a schedule - certain days in the week, the bus will go up to Mount Cook and the other days, it's takes you to the next town where you can catch your connecting Magic Bus to ChCh
    The guide, Alan, a cheerful kiwi guy was an excellent guide !

Mount Cook Range Tourist Traps

• grets's Profile Photo

by grets Written Sep 16, 2004

As is the norm in most of these places, we are issued with a certificate to confirm we have flown over the Mt Cook range.

Touristy, but I still accept it and even put it in my album. Who really needs a certificate when you have the memories and photos?

• National/State Park

Mount Cook Range Off The Beaten Path

• dragontml's Profile Photo

by dragontml Written Nov 17, 2003

really, if you visit the mount cook range, you must want to explore this area. expect lots of walking to be done. really worth the trip. i did not explore the whole area but i think i did enough.

• Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Mount Cook Range

Comments

Explore Deeper into Mount Cook Range
mount cook