Waimate Island Local Customs
St Augustine's Parish extends from the Hook River on the north of the Waitaki river on the south and from the seaboard to the hills. In 1903 the southern portion of the district, from the Waihao to the Waitaki, was created a new parish. Services are held at Hunter, Makikihi, Waihao Downs, Morven and Glenavy, as well as at the parish church at Waimate. The contract for the construction of St Augustine's church was signed in 1872 and the building was opened in May 1873 and enlarged in 1883, by the addition of a lantern-tower. A handsome lych gate has been recently added, and there are some very fine stained glass windows in the church. The land occupied by the church and parsonage was presented by the late Mr. Michael Studholme, of Waimate. There is room in the church for 200 worshipers. A convenient Sunday school building, close by, was erected in 1897. It has accommodation for 200 children and there are 130 names on the roll and eleven teachers. The parsonage stands in St Augustine Street, and was erected in 1874. It has a glebe of 5 acres of land.
Waimate has several churches built long ago
.St Patrick's Catholic Church at Waimate dates from 1877 and the convent at the back of the church was erected in 1890. The church is a wooden building with seating accommodation for 200 worshipers, and the convent is under the care of six Sisters of St Joseph, who conduct a school adjoining it. About 150 children attend this school and there is room for 200. Music is taught and a good elementary education is given, and those who desire it are prepared for higher examinations. The present presbytery, which was erected to replace the old building in 1894, is a handsome two-story brick and plaster building, and stands in front of the school, facing the main road. The church owns 23 acres of land, part of which is within the boundary of the borough
St Mary's church
One of the loveliest of South Canterbury's churches. St Mary's Esk Valley was designed by the Christchurch architect B.W. Mountfort and built of limestone from the Albury district. The church had its origins in tragedy. In 1878, Ellen, the young wife of Charles Meyer, owner of Blue Cliffs Station, died following an operation. After the death, Charles Meyer instructed his trustees to build the little stone church to fulfill his wife's wish and to her memory. The church was consecrated in May 1880 by Bishop Harper. The interior is rich with colour from windows dedicated to members of some of the early settler families in the district.Related to:
- Historical Travel
Waimate Island Off The Beaten Path
Go for a mountain bike ride
Stage One - Promotes the five trails in the Waihaorunga / Hakataramea area. This area to the west offers the experienced rider trails from 20kms to overnight adventures of 150kms. These trails reward the riders with spectacular views of the Southern Alps, Mt Cook to views of the Waitaki Valley and rural scenery looking south.
One trail which will no doubt become a favourite is the 'Pub to Pub' run consisting of 55kms taking you from Waihao Forks Hotel to Meyers Pass after a steady climb to the Meyers Pass summit it is mostly a downhill run emerging at the Hakataramea Hotel.Related to:
Waimate Island Sports & Outdoors
Sea fishing is fun. The nearest beach is a short drive away on the east coast, 7 kms from main highway 1 and 45 kms south of Timaru
Main fishing spots of the area are the Waitaki River and Mouth, Waihao River, Waihao Box, Hook Beach, Hydro dam lakes and the Hakataramea River (fly fishing only). Fish such as Kahawhai, flounder, yellow-eyed mullet and red cod can be caught. Whitebait and sea-run trout are caught in season, but the main attraction for anglers from all over the world is the magnificent Quinnant Salmon, during the spawning run from November until April each year.Related to:
- Family Travel
There a many interesting golf courses for you to play at. Equipment can also be hired should you need them.
Waimate Island Favorites
The Red-necked Wallaby
Favorite thing: The wallaby of the Hunters Hills is the red-necked, Bennett's or brush wallaby. It is the largest of five species introduced into Canterbury in about 1874, when Michael Studholme released two does and a buck near the Te Waimate homestead. Originally introduced mainly for its fur and for sport, the wallaby is now regarded as a pest. Although often viewed with affection because of its appealing appearance, the wallaby causes severe damage to vegetation, cropping the grass and leaving the forest floor bare. By 1960 the wallaby population was estimated to be 500,000 to 1,000,000 spread over 1,000,000 hectares.Related to:
- Adventure Travel