Know about this? Rate It!
Port Chalmers is located on the north shore of Otago harbour and is the deep water port for Otago. A short, 15 minute drive from Dunedin, and we were here!
We found a nice lookout here, where my photo was taken from, it had great views of the port area, and of the beautiful Iona church.
Port Chalmer's is also famous because the last Antarctic expedition led by Captain R. F. Scott sailed from Port Chalmers on 28 November 1910. There is a memorial cairn, a tall column with a concrete anchor, with a plaque bearing the names of the five men who died. It also includes a paragraph from Scott's farewell message and a biblical passage asking, ‘What mean these stones?'.
The memorial lies off Purakanui road on a rocky outcrop above the port overlooking the wharf from which Scott left. Plenty of arts and crafts and a small museum.
To get here, follow route 88 from Dunedin
- Religious Travel
- Historical Travel
The port of Otago (population 3111) was historically the location of the Otago Block purchase and the landing of the Otago settlers, the shipping point for the first frozen meat exports to Britain in 1882 and a resting place for the Antarctic explorers Scott, Shackleton and Byrd. The Don Juan, a former Spanish slave trader, is visible at low tide in nearby Deborah Bay. There is a precinct of historic 19th century buildings, several interesting churches, and a memorial to Antarctic explorer Sir Robert Falcon Scott.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
Dunedin Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Richards Bay
- Tel Aviv District Hotels
- Braassemermeer Hotels
- Liqeni i Tiranes Hotels
- Panki Hotels
- Santa Barbara Off The Beaten Path
- Albuquerque Off The Beaten Path
- Kauai Off The Beaten Path
- Bikaner Off The Beaten Path
- Germany Off The Beaten Path
- Newport Off The Beaten Path
- Sedona Off The Beaten Path
- Tehachapi Off The Beaten Path
- Niagara Falls Off The Beaten Path
- Oahu Off The Beaten Path
- Strasbourg Off The Beaten Path