Jet Boating, Queenstown

• vincentf's Profile Photo

Kawarau Jet

by vincentf Written Aug 27, 2006
    Kawarau Jet

A must-do whenever you're in Queenstown. You sit in these speed boats and skim over shallow waters of Shotover River. These boats are originally made in New Zealand. Prices for the shortest ride is NZ$85 for adults and NZ$45 for children which includes free entry into Underwater World.

• bryINpoland's Profile Photo

Shotover Jet

by bryINpoland Updated Aug 18, 2006

Shotover Gorge

Ever since arriving in New Zealand (Adventure Capitol of the Wolrd) I have constantly heard about New Zealands invention of the jet boat. Before heading down to Queenstown we heard rumor that it was home to New Zealands best jet boat ride, Shotover Jet. We figured if we are going to see what all the rave is about, it might as well be on the best.

Prices are $99 pp. for a 25 minute ride. Kind of pricey in my opionon but you only live once right? Shotover jet is the only jet boat tour aloud to opperate in Shotover Gorge and has been doing so since 1970.

The red boats that thrust out over 800 litres of water through its internal propellar per second, can operate in only 6 inches of water and can literally turn on a dime, famous for their 360 degree turns. The experience drivers bring you inches from the gorge walls and had me thinking "i just paid $99 to die".

A great experience and recommeded to anyone wanting to try something different while in Queenstown.

The thrilling jetboat ride

see the sharp edges of Shotover Canyon

We went on a thrilling bumpy jet boat ride with lots of 360 deg turns and splashes and near death experience as we almost clash into the sharp edges of the canyon.

Words cant describe the adrenaline shot that was given to me. The $99 jetboat ride is defintely worth it! If you do it again for the next day, there is a 50% discount!

We were the last group on the jetboat ride for the day. The crew started to pack up and the jetty was suddenly empty as the crew drives the container where the lockers were into safekeeping.

We are now able to take some shots with our own cameras and we have to wait for our shuttle bus back to The Station Building.

Shotover Souvenir Shop

by imstress Written Mar 19, 2006

You may purchase the photos taken during the jetboat rides and a certificate at the souvenier shop. Each personalised souvenier pack cost NZ$40.

It is not compulsory for you to purchase them. But if need a picture and certificate to remind you of this thrilling experience you could still download the pictures.

You could also purchase other items like T-Shirts, caps and jacket. Prices for a cap starts from $25 and T-Shirts from $35 onwards.

Shotover Jet

by imstress Written Mar 19, 2006

We have a hard time deciding which Jet Boat company to go with. The cheaper one or the more experienced one?

After much delibration, we decide to go for Shotover Jet which is the only licensed company to do jetboating at the Shotover Canyon. We were proud of our decisions.

The departure for the Shotover Jet is at The Station Building. Assemble at The Station Building and a shuttle will drive you to Arthurs point where the Shotover Canyon is. It is just 15 mins away from town.

The jetboating cost $99 for an adult.

You may go to their website to download pictures of your jetboating experience.

Before Jet Boating

can u spot me?

Before the action begins we took a picture together. We were told to put all our belongings into the lockers provided and put on a black robe.

All of us came from different countries from the UK, USA, Australia, India, Germany and Singapore.
    we first took our couple shots or group before getting in line for our 2 jet boats.
    I took the first row and the corner seat. This is said to be the best & wet seat because you get the most thrill out of it.

As the engine starts, we were told to wave to the camera.
    We went for a minute ride and was back at the jetty for a 360 deg turn and our excitment were all captured on the camera again.

• aukahkay's Profile Photo

Adrenaline-pumping Shotover Jet

by aukahkay Written Feb 7, 2006
    I am raising my left hand!

The most adrenaline-pumping activity in the Queenstown area is a ride on the jetboat at Shotover Rapids. I did not have the guts to do bungee jumping so the next best thing to do was to shoot the rapids. Charging over the rapids at speeds of 70 km/h or more, the jetboat driver makes hair-raising swerves and sudden 180 degree turns just inches from the rocks. My legs were wobbly after I emerged from the 30-minute ride.

• Rafting

• SSerre's Profile Photo

Flying over the water

by SSerre Written May 9, 2005

The Shotover Jet boat ride was fantastic. It's a lot of fun skimming over the water and doing 360 turns right next to cliffs.

Don't bring your camera, your pictures will come out blurry and your camera will get wet.

You can buy a sovenior photo of your boat full of people in mid-360.

• Shotover Jet Boat

by hollyday Written May 14, 2004

Hubby and I did this tour on a recent visit to Queenstown and it was excellent.

The ride was about 30 minutes long and even though the river was running a bit high, the driver still managed to add lots of excitement and 360's ... yiihaa.

The best part was when he did a quick turn which came way too close to the sheer rock wall of the canyon but I'm sure it was perfectly measured.

Well worth doing ...especially for the first timer.

• littlebush's Profile Photo

Adrenalin capital of the world!

by littlebush Written Oct 30, 2003

Adrenalin stuff - jetboating(totally awesome), bungee jumping(from 3 different locations and heights), skydiving, skiing, white water rafting, plus much more that i cant think of at the moment! also , the town itself is nice to chill out and look around, the bars are always lively at night! arrowtown nearby is an old historic town from the gold rush, nearby theres also an old chinese settlement from the gold rush.
    wanaka nearby is worth a look, just an hour up the road, they do some adrenalin stuff , much cheaper than queenstown! puzzling world is a bit of fun here too with its maze!(yes, i did cheat to get my way out!)
    the luge .in queenstown is very tame but has spectacular views from the cable car of the mountians and lake.

• Mez77's Profile Photo

Jet Boating

by Mez77 Written Sep 17, 2003

Jet Boating on the Dart

There are many different types of Jet Boat tours. There are some nice sedate safaris along the Dart River and these can include a walk.

Then there are the heart stopping adrenaline trips. This is the one I went on. Not a great idea after I had just finshed a Parapente earlier in the day.

I swear the drivers of these boats are crazy and I saw my life flash before my eyes a couple of times. They get so close to cliffs and madly swing the boat around to you miss by mere inches. I'm not sure how many people are injured on these types of tours but it was great fun, even if my legs were a little shaky afterwards.

• worldkiwi's Profile Photo

Get out of town and see the scenery.

by worldkiwi Written May 7, 2003

Shotover River

Queenstown is surrounded by stunningly beautiful mountain landscapes. The town itself is beside Lake Wakatipu and to the south, march the Remarkables, a range of mountains that proceed in a line down the east side of the lake. I've seen fantastic photos, of the same view as mine above, taken in winter when the white peaks of the Remarkables contrast beautifully with the blues of sky and lake.
    Just a short drive away from Queenstown on the back road to Arrowtown, is Arthur's Point. The Shotover River runs through this gully and the famous Shotover Jet (a fast ride on a jet boat through the Shotover Gorge) operates from there. To the northwest is Glenorchy with its superb valleys and mountain views (see my Glenorchy page). Obviously in winter this place is a major drawcard for skiers, as there are three or four ski-fields in the vicinity of Queenstown. I can only imagine the views the skiers get from up on their mountains in winter!

• jckim's Profile Photo

Shotover Jet Ride

by jckim Written Nov 23, 2004

world of most exciting jet boat ride.
    Nothing you have experienced will have you prepared for the excitement of a Shotover Jet ride.

Instant Answers: Queenstown