Franz Josef Glacier Restaurants

by RinaNeo

Most Recent Restaurants in Franz Josef Glacier

• Priya Indian Restaurant in Franz Josef: Service zero

by karamsingh Written Dec 31, 2011

Could not try the food. Waited 15 minutes approached a staff member but was completely ignored. Approached second staff member same thing, walked out feeling disgusted as the restaurant wasn't even busy. Compared to Little India at Nelson was completely the opposite, excellent food and service, highly recommended.

Favorite Dish: Couldn't try any dishes

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Full of Beans Cafe: Decent Cafe with varied menu

by DSwede Updated Sep 22, 2010
    Full of Beans Cafe

There are not a lot of restaurants in Franz Josef. Some new ones open every year and some don't last long enough to establish themselves.

I know that Full of Beans has been around a while because my friends had been there a few years before. That being said, it is a no-frills cafe but decent enough to satisfy us.

There are cold dishes available in the display, such as desserts and some cold sandwiches. However the chalk board menu shows the day's hot menu.

Favorite Dish: The sandwiches were decent and I particularly liked the fish burger. The food is served to the table relatively quick, but you should order and pay at the counter.

• JohanIsWeg's Profile Photo

Alice May: Rustic charm

by JohanIsWeg Updated Aug 15, 2009

Stepping into the warm amber embrace of Alice May soon soothes the cold from aching muscles and shivering bones.

Serving up hearty local country fare, we tucked into the venison stew, slowly cooked in Monteiths black beer and served with mash potato and crisp pastry, which was probably the second best meal we had in NZ.

The menu takes advantage of seasonal produce but pork ribs with a barbecue sauce is another perennial favourite.

The wine and beer list is brimful with NZ entries.

• Singles
    • Seniors

• abi_maha's Profile Photo

Priya Restaurant: Delicious Indian Food

by abi_maha Written Feb 4, 2009

Tasty north indian food and good white wine to toast, we were having Indian food after 10 days, so we were thrilled with this restaurant. Cannot ask for more!

Favorite Dish: Veg Biriyani was as tasty as the one in Paradise in Hyderabad!

• HarShe's Profile Photo

The Landing: Most popular bar

by HarShe Updated Feb 27, 2006

Good atmosphere with lots of interesting people. Nice indoor & outdoor area.

Favorite Dish: Good selection of wines but was not impressed by the cocktails ('Bloody Mary' was more like a plain tomato juice). Garlic bread loaf was so big - was a meal in itself!

• I-Believe-I-Can-Fly's Profile Photo

BATSON'S TAVERN: HEARTHY DINER

by I-Believe-I-Can-Fly Written Sep 10, 2004

Eating options in town are slim. After we got back from our trip to the glacier, we pampered ourself by soaking our tired body into the hot spa in our hostel's garden, followed by a hearthy meal in Batson's Tavern at the far end of Cron Street.

While I was enjoying the meal, a guy came across to my table just to asked what the name of dishes I ordered since he would like to make the same order. I was not sure whether the dishes looked that tasty or the way I ate them was too enthusiast. But honestly, they were really tasty! Hmmm... yummy...

Favorite Dish: Chicken wings with terriyaki sauce, served with potatoes skin.

• National/State Park

• I-Believe-I-Can-Fly's Profile Photo

"GLACIER CAFE": LUNCH ON "GLACIER CAFE"

by I-Believe-I-Can-Fly Updated Aug 9, 2004

I called it

It is advisable to pack light lunch and plenty of water.

The only time it actually got cold was when we stopped for lunch. We sat down on the glacier, unpacked our lunch and enjoyed it! The sandwich tasted even better on the glacier!

Favorite Dish: Chocolate bar
    Sandwich
    A bottle of water

• National/State Park

• HarShe's Profile Photo

Beeches: Nice relaxed atmosphere

by HarShe Updated Feb 27, 2006

Good selection of NZ wines. Could be cold outside on a cold morning or late evening, but very pleasant in the afternoon or early evening.

• RinaNeo's Profile Photo

Finding food in Franz josef

by RinaNeo Written Mar 2, 2005

Restaurant at Franz Josef

There are only a few restaurants in the main road of Franz Josef....the town is so small that a walk from one end to another end of the main road takes less than 10 mins.

Favorite Dish: Steak.....

• Mountain Climbing
    • Hiking and Walking

• kenmerk's Profile Photo

Franz Josef Cafeteria

by kenmerk Updated May 26, 2003

Lunch Room, Ice Station Zebra...

About half way up the hill, it's time to try to find a dry rocky outcrop to sit and have lunch... Facilities are somewhat spartan (BYO food, water, napkins...) but the view is quite nice...

Instant Answers: Franz Josef Glacier

Comments

Franz Josef Glacier Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Franz Josef Glacier restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Franz Josef Glacier sightseeing.

View all Franz Josef Glacier hotels