south island (physical feature ) Off The Beaten Path

Serpertine Track
    Serpertine Church
    Rainbow/Molesworth Stations boundary.
    by NZ_gurl

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in south island (physical feature )

Drive-through-caves

Drive-through-caves

These caves are drive-through caves that cost $10 per vechicle. You need a 4-wheel-drive vechicle otherwise you will not get out of it! There is two, one small one and one large one. The picture is of the large one. You could open your door and hit the door on the side of the cave. They are high so when we went through, the wifes sat on top of the vechicles waving at the snapping cameras behind them. =) I didnt though, I had to hold the laptop with the map. (We were the leaders but my mum did!) They were made when the miners were trying to find gold in them. When we got to the river on the other side we had a look and we could see little pecks of gold in the water. We even managed to get a few rocks with gold specks on them. (Much to the husbands undelight) =D The picture is just before the entry of the cave because the pictures at the other end of the cave are long and dont show up properly on VT. If you want to see a picture send me an email and I will send ya one back! =)

Stewart Town - Bannockburn

Stewart Town

Stewart town is a small town that was built in 1800. The fruit that grows on these trees were planted in 1804. I tried them and they were the yummiest, juicest, tasiest fruit I have ever tasted. And they are 99 years old! The picture is of a house that still stands today. It was the town that families used to live in for the miners that sluced in the area. You can still see the effects from the slucing today. There is a car park just off the road just outside of Bannockburn not far from Cromwell and then you take the walk that takes about 45 minutes to and hour depending on how fit you are. A great place to see and you must go!

Lake Tennyson.

Lake Tennyson.

This is a beautiful lake in the Molesworth station or just out of it. The day we went it was absolutely beautiful! The mountains drop straight down into a beautiful lake. This lake is apprently good for trout fishing but you can swim in it. But it is freezing, being a melted snow lake. One crazy guy that came with us did jump in! he ended up standing on a rock a bit of a way out because he got cold feet! A truly amazing lake - it is accessable by road but its a long gravel road with a few pot-holes in the road. Its a prettu rouch road and you could miss the turnoff for it and go up into 4-wheel-drive country and into Molesworth station. Ask at a DOC (Department of Conservation) office for directions. I took the picture too!! Like it?

Rainbow/Molesworth Station.

Rainbow/Molesworth Stations boundary.

The Rainbow/Molsworth stations are two stations in the South Island. I dont know much about Rainbow Station but that it borders the biggest station in NZ Molesworth station. They truly are fantastic stations with huge mountains that just go up and up and up! They are like sand due to the over population of Rabbits. There is a river that runs through both of these stations (At least I think they are the same river!) In the winter time you get snow on both stations but Molesworth gets the most snow. You can see mountain goat footprints in the snow and when we went up there (in winter) we saw a small group of moutain goats. They were really cute!! Also a huge big Bull called Bill! He was standing in the middle of the road chewing on grass and he would move - we had to end up going around him! =D

Serpertine Church.

Serpertine Church

This is the church I told you about in the 'Serpertine Track' piece. I just thought a photo of it may explain it a bit better than my words! The two people in the photo is my mother and me! Im in the Subaru jacket. =D You can just see that the church was just stuck in the middle of no-where. It was just a huge big plain with mountains the boundary with a tiny little church stuck in the middle!

Serpertine Track.

Serpertine Track

Serpertine track was the old track used for the miners in the 1800's. Its a very rough track even in the dry. Thank goodness it was dry when we went through, reports that when it was wet that people took over a day to get through it where as it only took us under a day. All in 4-wheel-drives. It is very barren and you can just see country side for miles, until the deep mountain ranges stoop up over the top. And theres also a church called the Serpertine Church which is still standing today which bulit in the 1800's. Miners and their families used to travel for a day just to get to the service. And one day the miners got bored so they carved the story into a piece of wood and thats how we know the story we know today. It is still on the wall in this small wooden church and in the same condition it was when the carved it. =)

Instant Answers: south island (physical feature )

Comments

south island (physical feature ) Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of south island (physical feature ) off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for south island (physical feature ) sightseeing.

View all south island (physical feature ) hotels