Nightclubs and bars in Australia and Oceania

Hamilton Island coctails & sunset
    by aussirose

Most Viewed Nightlife in Australia and Oceania

• AusPinay's Profile Photo

Grand Ballroom Hilton Hotel, Sydney: BALL w/ Village People Music & Line Dancing?

by AusPinay Updated Apr 4, 2011

I attended the 110th Independence Day celebrations along with more than 450 Filipino Australians and mixed crowd of fellow Aussies amidst live music courtesy of a talented Filipino band.

Ball with lively Village People music and line dancing (to the tune of Achy Breaky Heart to beat)? At the Hilton's Grand Ballroom! Unbelievable but true, only PINOYS can lay claim to this!

Seriously, service was notably really five star in this Hilton venue! I was pleasantly surprised the waiters/waitresses were well trained and very polite not to mention on hand always to cater to our needs despite the big number of people there!

Food was not much to rave about- only the freshly baked bread rolls were worthy of my praise! The entree was just one kind, salmon which I am allergic to but as I told one of the waiters, I was offered some vegetarian concoction- I tasted eggplants, zucchini perhaps, plus other vegies mixed on what seemed like a pasty comfit surrounded by fresh salad leaves. It was edible but unappealling!

The affair was vigorously organised and promoted by the PCC-NSW Org.

There's always some fun and important happenings here at the Grand Ballroom!

The mains, a choice of chicken or pork chop were average for a hotel like the Hilton. The $110 we paid seemed to be not worth the food but it is a fundraising as well so I shall let that pass! Knowing my fellow "bargain hunting" Pinoys, they probably paid a pittance for the food anyway,LOL!

The celebrations saw a big number of government representatives of PM Kevin Rudd and Premier Morris Iemma, including of course the Philippine Ambassador and Consul General in Sydney of the Philippines. Local politicians were also there to share the momentous occasion with the expatriates from my beloved country of birth. The guest of honour was ex Phil. senator Ralph Recto, in lieu of his wife actress/politician Vilma Santos. Personally I didn't mind much as Ralph gave an intelligent speech which fouced on the night's theme - Education for the youth, which is something to close to my heart as a former teacher/science journalist.

Dress Code: It was a formal affair, with most people wearing the traditional barong tagalog for the men and some native Philippine long dresses with exquisitely hand embroidered panuelos (coverings for the women) worn by a few.

Many like me stuck to the classic black formal/cocktail dresses which were alright, we were not honoured guests after all, just mere "miron" (audience)! Of course you could not fault some for trying too hard and showed off all the heirlooms they have amassed all those years of slaving away day by day -jewelries-gold and silver, diamond, cubic zirconium and other coloured stones all mixed together like halo-halo (sweet iced desert Pinoy style)!

Well, they can always claim that's how ethnic jewelry is supposed to look like!

Moreover, I was appalled to see quite a few ladies in cowboy boots! They were probably dressed for the line dancing much later that night !

What's a Pinoy Ball without Achy Breaky Heart and YMCA enthusiastically danced too by Barong wearing Batanguenos and Ilocanos? It was a sight to behold, I got to my feet and shamelessly copied the very gay looking Pinoy who seemed to revel in his new found popularity ala John Travolta in Barong!

• aussirose's Profile Photo

Sunset on the Beach

by aussirose Updated Dec 12, 2009

Sunsets are also my passion.
    Put a lovely beach and awesome sunset together and its total magic!!!
    It was something I looked forward to when we moved over here to Perth from Sydney and it's even better than I ever imagined!!! I thank God for creating such gorgeous beauty :o)

• Beaches
    • Photography

• AusPinay's Profile Photo

THE BASEMENT KARAOKE BAR & Filipino Restaurant: Nice Local Food, Live Music & Karaoke

by AusPinay Written Jun 30, 2008

If you fancy both modern Australian and Filipino food, then this is the place for you complete with live music Friday and weekend nights.

The menu is varied - including the usual Aussie meals of fish and chips, pastas, etc. What makes the place popular is the wide array of classic Pinoy (Filipino ) dishes that are sought after- pancit (long life noodles) of various styles, egg/vermicelli, etc., the fave of everyone, crispy pata (beef hocks), appetisers for the popular drink for the men (beer) like crispy pork cracklings home made Pinoy style of course, spicy dishes and other meat,m fish and seafood dishes.

Try it, you won't be sorry. The only problem will be the long wait during peak hours on weekends, my sister knows for a fact as she worked here once last year but had to beg off due to her busy study load.

My sister and I tried the sweet dessert halo-halo one afternoon which was really yummy and authentic- the shaved ice was firmly packed and did not melt so quickly as compared to other restaurant's version of this ice concoction with preserved beans-mung beans, white beans, young coconuts, topped with ice cream and served with creamy milk (usually evaporated Pinoy milk). usually it has also pieces of creme caramel, ube ( sweet purple yam), even jackfruit. Their halo halo did not have as much fruits but was still refreshingly tasty.

We only hope this place will succeed as it has changed ownership quite a few times as we've noticed.

Friday is karaoke night, while Saturdays are usually for live bands and concerts from popular Filipino singers/groups both from the Philippines and budding local artists waiting to be discovered!

Come early as the place is jampacked especially on Saturday nights.

Dress Code: Casual is the preferred outfit but of course, thongs or dirty /ripped clothing would be unacceptable.

• Music

• Freebeacher's Profile Photo

Railway Bar: The Railway Bar in Byron Bay...

by Freebeacher Updated Jan 2, 2006

The Railway Bar in Byron Bay is a good time. Great Laksa and steaks, and usually live music. Backpacker casual. When a band's on all the backpackers from the various hostels in Byron Bay go-it's a great place to hook up. And then, in the middle of all the activity, a REAL train pulls in to the station with all the noise and horns, etc. I can't describe it justly, trust me. I think its that by the time it arrives everyone is so gassed they forgot it was a train station!

• sexybeachboy's Profile Photo

anay where but not king cross

by sexybeachboy Written Apr 19, 2003

I wish I had good experience thats what u get when you follow the friends with out taste I was hoping to go some where like night club but we end it up place called King Cross Dont go there if you like quality night life like me all you can see around is girls or pimps selling bodies which I found awful if you wana good night just foolow the young people usually couples they go to nice places or ask some of the young people where is the nice place to go they are friendly I am sure they will help you out with that matter

• Business Travel
    • Water Sports
    • Bungy Jumping

• Harold Park Hotel: Harold Park Hotel

by flowergrl Written Aug 24, 2002

It's a pub, but every night they have something different ... a live band, poetry, sometimes a night with an independent film maker ... check the 'metro' pages in the Friday Sydney Morning Herald.

Dress Code: Usally inner-city dress-down. I think shoes may be required (ie no thongs).

In CAIRNS, NORTHERN...

by Krystynn Written Aug 24, 2002

In CAIRNS, NORTHERN TERRITORY, AUSTRALIA.... where nightlife is almost non-existent (unless if you're talking about visiting the casino), we spent the bulk of our time at the Mondo Bar located at the lovely CAIRNS HILTON HOTEL.

Dress Code: Casual. Very casual. Good news for those who love to be casually-clad.

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

In MELBOURNE, VICTORIA, ...

by Krystynn Written Aug 24, 2002

In MELBOURNE, VICTORIA, AUSTRALIA.........
    Stroll down the streets of Melbourne at night. You'd be forgiven for thinking that it's Christmas time every day! Why? Because most of the buildings and landmarks in the city center areas are gaily lighted up with Christmas lightings (!!).

Photo Below: That's me standing just outside the famed FLINDERS STREET STATION.

A note of warning: DON'T walk around this area (the train station) alone. It's DANGEROUS. But if you hang around the Bourke Street/ Southgate/ Southbank/ Chapel Street/ Toorak areas... they're fine. Enjoy yourselves.

• My favourite night life spot,...

by justanotha1 Written Aug 24, 2002

My favourite night life spot, would have to be, St. Kilda road, Melbourne, in the city, coz I make heaps of money there.
    Well, it is very fun.

Dress Code: The dress code for St. Kilda road, is the bare minimum, and i mean, almost nothing, because heaps of girls turn up there, wearing literally nothing.

• ombre's Profile Photo

What can I say about the...

by ombre Written Aug 24, 2002

What can I say about the nightlife apart from it left me vision impaired and hung over .We mostly did the pub style thing some of which also have nightclubs as well.
    I found it to be fun and lay back and we all really had a great time at the Darwin pubs and the heat gives you a great excuse to drinks heaps ( large amounts).
    The locals for the most part were friendly enough.
    The vic was okay ,bands and night club which i cant remember much about so it must have been okay.
    this was one of my great Drinking holidays and though drinking is not always great at least it gave a few ugly girls so kind of a chance hehehee.

Dress Code: most okay places at night are still fairly lay back jeans and collar is excepted at most places though dress to empress if you wish you will still be okay

• Delany Hotel: Delany Hotel

by jess79au Updated Aug 26, 2002

In lively part of town, good locals and travellers watering hole! live bands and resteraunt

Dress Code: pub scene

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

In SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA..... It...

by Krystynn Written Aug 24, 2002

In SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA..... It must surely be the SYDNEY ENTERTAINMENT CENTER. Opened not too long ago... this place has EVERYTHING!

Australia and Oceania Hotels

1659 Reviews - 3738 Photos
Port-Vila Hotels
121 Reviews - 256 Photos

Instant Answers: Australia and Oceania

Comments

Australia and Oceania Nightlife

Reviews and photos of Australia and Oceania nightlife posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Australia and Oceania sightseeing.
Map of Australia and Oceania