Getting Around Saipan

Most Viewed Transportation in Saipan

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Taxi rates are high

by DSwede Updated Feb 18, 2011

Taxis are available in the town and airport. However the rates are extremely high. For example, rates from the airport to any hotel will average $20.

It is best that you contact your hotel in advance and arrange for a pick-up. Most hotels will offer one-way transport to the airport for $5~$10, saving you 50%.

The towns are also relatively small. If you are not renting a car, it is best to be familiar with the layout of the town so that you may walk yourself since taxis will charge too much.

There are a few unmarked illegal taxis that will charge lower prices (~$3) between locations, but typically only locals have their phone numbers to arrange pick-ups.

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Getting to Saipan, Tinian and Rota

by DSwede Updated Dec 29, 2010

Not sure where you are originating from, Saipan can be reached by air via:
    Asiana Air - from Busan and Seoul
    United Express (was Continental Connection) - from Guam
    Delta Air - from Nagoya and Narita
    Freedom Air - from Guam (http://www.freedomairguam.com/)
    other airlines offer seasonal flights like China Southern and Shanghai Air.

If you wish to visit Rota, you can take either Freedom Air or United Express.
    If you wish to visit Tinian, you may fly on Freedom Air or there is a twice-daily ferry.

• Eurasian68's Profile Photo

Rent a Jeep!

by Eurasian68 Written Jan 5, 2006

Just rent a jeep at any local car rental to explore this island. The rates are fair. We hitched-hiked a local jeep passing by and asked the friendly driver to take us to the next car rental.

By the way, there is only one traffic light on the whole island. You don't see many cars, no worries about traffic jam or where to park your car! What a relaxing why to travel!

Even the procedure of the car rental services are fully umcomplicated, its like borrowing a car from your neighbours... *hehe*

• Beaches

• thelittlevoice's Profile Photo

Fly

by thelittlevoice Written Sep 15, 2005

This trip has been such a mess for me. First of all let's go with the schedule

Daily CO9311 GUAM SAIPAN 0730 0820
    Daily CO9597 GUAM SAIPAN 0750 0920
    Daily CO9600 GUAM SAIPAN 1030 1120
    Daily CO9604 GUAM SAIPAN 1545 1710

These are the flights on Continental Micronesia. I was in Guam for a few days before heading to Saipan. I took the first flight of the day but the plane didn't leave til about 10am. The flight was OK despite the bad weather. I only spent a day there in Saipan which was quite enough because I was not into beaches or water sports. I was supposed to leave in the evening to Hong Kong. Continental flies twice a week.

Mon, Fri CO 909 SAIPAN HONGKONG 1750 2040

We waited til about midnight but the plane never took off. They had us stay at Hyatt for the night. I tried to call my folks to let them know that I wouldn't be going home that night but the phone didn't work til about 3am. Then I got an early call at about 4.30am that they would put us on Northwest flight which leaves at 9am ish. They took us to the airport around 6.30am. Since I also missed my Hong Kong - Bangkok, they put me on Saipan - Nagoya - Tokyo - Hong Kong - Bangkok. I came to a point where I could be careless, I could continue flying all day, just got me to Bangkok! But once I got to Tokyo, I talked to a really cool staff and he put me on a direct flight Tokyo - Bangkok so I didn't have to go through Hong Kong. So I got exactly 24 hours later than I should.

I paid about $500 in total for flights on Continental(Hong Kong - Guam, Guam - Saipan, Saipan - Hong Kong) and 2 nights accommodation.

• SuperJerry's Profile Photo

Free Shuttle Bus

by SuperJerry Written Aug 5, 2004

The great thing about the island is that there's free bus service to select locations. They run quite frequently during the day and provide access to pretty much any place. Look for free map and schedule in most hotel lobbies and touristy looking places.

Saipan Hotels

Top Saipan Hotels

Garapan Hotels
22 Hotels

Instant Answers: Saipan

Comments

Saipan Transportation

Reviews and photos of Saipan transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Saipan sightseeing.
Map of Saipan