Madang Shopping

Most Recent Shopping in Madang

• jorgejuansanchez's Profile Photo

Hauskaving: The wooden masks of Madang

by jorgejuansanchez Updated Feb 2, 2015

I very rarely buy souvenirs during my journeys. I do not travel with much money and in my small bag I do not have room for souvenirs, only for my clothes, cleaning supplies, my sleeping bag plus some notebooks to write my travel impressions. I do want to increase the 3 kilos of weight of my bag, including my things, by buying souvenirs, and at the most I have sometimes bought books or maps of rare places (the Kingdom of Mustang, or the Seven Sisters of India, for instance, that I still keep at home). I know friends whose houses look like museums, with all the walls full of masks hanging, bought in Africa, Asia, or Oceania. Unfortunately I have none at home.
    In Madang I regretted that I could not, because of my budget and small bag, acquire some wonderful and very original masks that were sold at a very affordable price in the handicrafts market (Hauskaving), near the port, like the ones that I show in these pictures.

What to buy: Masks!

What to pay: You always can bargain

• Adventure Travel

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Local Craft Market: Bilbil Pottery

by Bwana_Brown Updated Sep 7, 2005

There are lots of opportunities to purchase local artifacts while in Madang. In fact, the Madang Resort Hotel has a great craft store located on the premises.

Also, at various places around town, local markets have excellent displays of good for sale at quite reasonable prices. Bilbil is a small coastal village just a few miles south of Madang that is famous for its very delicately made pottery. This small market in Madang had quite a good selection of these items up for grabs.

Bilbil pottery display at a Local Market

Instant Answers: Madang

Comments

Madang Shopping

Reviews and photos of Madang shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Madang sightseeing.