Madang Transportation

• Transportation
    by jorgejuansanchez
  • Transportation
    by jorgejuansanchez
    Elcom Landcruiser at Work!
    by Bwana_Brown

Most Recent Transportation in Madang

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

The Difficult Way!

by Bwana_Brown Updated Sep 7, 2005

The easiest and most common way to reach Madang is by aircraft, usually from Port Moresby after about a 1-hour flight over the intervening central mountain ranges of PNG. I travelled that way a few times but the trip I most enjoyed was when I drove overland to Madang by myself in an Elcom Landcruiser.

On that trip, I had to visit all substations in the central mountains to carry out tests at each one. I flew into Mt. Hagen from Port Moresby, where I picked up a Landcruiser for my journey. After performing tests at Mt. Hagen, Kundiawa and Goroka, I spent the night near Kainantu with Elcom friends who worked there. The next day I checked out the Kainantu sub before heading down off the mountains toward the eastern coastal plains. It was on these flatlands that I had to veer off the main sealed Highlands Highway (which went to Lae) and instead took the un-sealed road to Madang. Because this road ran parallel to the Ramu River, which flows out of the mountains and toward the north coast, the trip entailed several fords of smaller tributaries where there were no bridges. It was quite an adventure to be travelling along by myself in this remote part of PNG! The day after finishing work in Madang, I back-tracked on the same road and ended up in Lae for my final tests before flying out from there! A recent (2004) posting on the web by a tourist says "we take the Ramu Highway south out of Madang in a convoy of 15-seater minibuses in various states of disrepair. They are crammed with people, pigs, chickens with cargo on the roofs: bananas, buai (betel nut) and sweet potato. This road to Lae is the only 'interstate' in the country and, despite its extraordinary convolutions and steep pitch in parts, is mostly sealed and in good condition. Once over the tortuous Finisterre Range the road opens out into the vast Ramu Valley. Gone are the coast's omnipresent coconut plantations - this is cattle and sugar cane country".

This photo was taken near Kainantu on a back road that was not in as good a shape as the road to Madang!

Elcom Landcruiser at Work!
    • Business Travel

• jorgejuansanchez's Profile Photo

We found the way

by jorgejuansanchez Written Mar 22, 2015

I travelled from Madang to Bongu, but it was a tiny village hard to find. Finally we found it. It was on the right.

• Adventure Travel

• jorgejuansanchez's Profile Photo

Air Niugini

by jorgejuansanchez Written Feb 18, 2015

I reached Madang from Jayapura, overland, but most visitors fly there. So it is useful to know that you can find an Air Niugini office in downtown Madang and also at the airport.

• Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: Madang

Comments

Madang Transportation

Reviews and photos of Madang transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Madang sightseeing.