Unique Places in Vanuatu

Most Viewed Off The Beaten Path in Vanuatu

• K.Knight's Profile Photo

Mystery Island......Hire an outrigger.

by K.Knight Updated Apr 4, 2011

The local inhabitants of Anaton Island do their best to survive by offering the tourists, that are brought in bu cruise ship or light aircraft, a cheap activity. Here the outrigger canoe seems to be self service and business seems to be a little slow. Undaunted by the coral reefs and beautifully clear water.....I went snorkelling!!!

Outrigger Hire COST.........AUS$10.00 up front, unlimited use of the outrigger and AUS$5.00 refunded on return of the outrigger! I just don't know who you pay or where they expect that you will take the outrigger considering you are at least 600 km's from the nearest point of civilisation!

Outrigger canoe. Head office!
    • Eco-Tourism

• K.Knight's Profile Photo

Mystery Island......Hire a canoe.

by K.Knight Written Sep 28, 2005

just like the outriggers, canoe hire cost is AUS$10.00 up front, unlimited use of the canoe and AUS$5.00 refunded on return of the canoe! I just don't know where they expect that you will take the canoe to to keep it considering you are at least 600 km's from the nearest point of civilisation!

Something tells me that this guy has cornered the local market although business seems a little slow!

Canoe central.

Mystery Island......Snorkelling 2.

by K.Knight Written Sep 26, 2005

Please don't complicate the task of snorkelling....

If you are not an experienced swimmer, have never snorkelled in you life or you are scared of the water I would suggest a guided snorkelling adventure with some of the local villagers. COST AUS$10.00

If you are an experienced swimmer.....YOU ARE ON A SMALL ISLAND SURROUNDED BY WATER!!!!!

Bring you own snorkelling gear as you can not hire it on this mostly uninhabited island.

Snorkelling central!!

Visit Mystery Island.

by K.Knight Written Sep 26, 2005

Mystery island, an uninhabited sandy islet all surrounded by coral reefs, lies to the very south of the Vanuatuan island chain. Its real name is Inyeug Island. Inyeug Island was used by the Allied forces during WWII as a landing strip for small aircraft. To this day, this airstrip is used as the airfield for the rugged, mountainous Anaton Island located about 1.5 km's from Inyeug.

You can access the island from Port Vila via aircraft or by cruise ship.

Queen Elizabeth II came to Vanuatu in 1975 on the Royal Yacht Britanica and she and her party stopped off at Mystery Island for a picnic lunch.

South Pacific Paradise.

Mystery Island......Snorkelling.

by K.Knight Updated Sep 26, 2005

The snorkelling around the coral reefs of Mystery Island showcase some of the most beautiful fish in the South pacific. The waters are safely surrounded by coral reefs which protect the swimmer from the waters of the open ocean. I would recommend this activity for strong swimmers only and I would advise you to have someone watch you from the shore in case you get into difficulty...Remember, this is a remote are.

Mmmm...lunch.

• K.Knight's Profile Photo

Mystery Island......Spend time with the locals.

by K.Knight Written Sep 28, 2005

As mentioned above, the local inhabitants of Anaton Island venture onto Mystery Island when tourists pour in and they form an intricate part of your enjoyment experience. I guess the main reson that I travel is to broaden my horizons, meet other people from around the world and gain an insite into their culture and the fabric to their society. I feel that I can achieve this in the South Pacific by respecting these people and spending some time watching their performance or looking at their handicrafts etc.

Weathered. Experienced. The next generation.

• CandS's Profile Photo

Around the island tour

by CandS Written May 5, 2004

We did an around the island tour (of Efate - the main island) for 5000 vatu each (there were 4 of us). We hired a bus driver, Massing, to take us all the way around and it was more than worth it! :) Massing took us to some gorgeous beaches, we had an excellent lunch, learnt all about coconuts and more...

Eton Beach, Efate
    • Beaches
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• Peri25's Profile Photo

Duty free shopping around the backstreets of Vila

by Peri25 Written Nov 29, 2005

There's a lot of 'duty free' shops on the main strip of Vila, but the shops that are in the backstreets are cheaper and have more original items. It's worth looking around and spotting some bargains, I got some great t-shirts from a little shop around the backstreets where the bus dropped us off one afternoon.

• cosmopolit's Profile Photo

find it in the first place. It's in Melanesia!

by cosmopolit Written Feb 25, 2003

As it's off the beaten path I include a map from Vanuatu geophisical. the "Timeless Islands" comprises a group of approx. 80 islands, situated some 2,250 kilometres north-east of sydney, Australia, and 800 kilometres west of Fiji. The total land area is approximately 14,700 square kilometres and the territorial waters cover 450,000 square kilometres

archipelago in the sun

• trixee's Profile Photo

Round Island Tour with a Personal Guide

by trixee Updated Dec 8, 2007

Apparently, the local Port Vila buses will take you anywhere you want to go on Efate. We decided to take a gamble and test this theory out by trying to get one to take us on the ring road around the island.

The process is a bit hit-and-miss. First, you need to find an empty bus. Then, you need to try and flag it down most likely at a busy time of day. Then you need to ask the driver if he'll take you and then set a price.

The price we got was probably on the high side (10,000 VT) but given that it was peak hour and most buses seemed full, we couldn't be bothered looking elsewhere. We also got stuck with a driver who spoke mostly French, though his English was good enough to get by, so we settled in for the ride.

Before we got going proper, though, Albert (our driver) spent a few minutes driving around town trying to pick up a tour guide for us. He tried two random people before he found Willie, a bored highschool boy who had his first exam the following day. He brought along his study notes though, so we didn't feel too guilty! Unfortunately, Willie spoke mostly Bislama, but again his English was good enough to get by.

All in all it was a good trip. I enjoyed seeing the local vegetation outside of the city, and driving through the villages without having to stop unless we wanted to. Our guides bought fresh coconuts from a random person in one village, and we got to try fresh coconut. He took us to some places we didn't know about, and we skipped some places on our list when we were running late.

And we got to see how bad the road really was - doing this in a hire car would have been scary!

Local village girl The view from the bus A bull on side of the road The bus at Eton beach Local villagers on side of the road

• Skereton's Profile Photo

White Sand, Black Sand

by Skereton Written May 20, 2006

Not far from the city of Santo in Vanuatu is a beach called "White Sand Beach". If you are going to be in Vanuatu, you HAVE to go here. The sand looks like snow, and I've never seen clearer water! Just watch out for jellyfish. A friend of mine got stung, and she got the mumps! (I can't explain it either)

A boat ride (or small plane ride) from Santo is the island of Ambea. On Ambea is a beach called "Black Sand Beach". The sand really is totally black, and there are a lot of shells and sanddollars all about. A lot of locals gather here and play, and it's a really fun place to talk to them, and learn about them. Here, you will see them fishing in their canoes, which is a canoe, with a canoe-like peice of wood beside one another, attached in the middle. The children often make small toy versions of these, and give them to travellers as gifts. They also make lovely bamboo fans as well. Most people on Ambae speak French, and they all speak Pidgeon English.

Also, not far from Santo, is a huge freshwater pond, that's very very deep. The foilage around this pond is beyond description. There is a HUGE tree that climbs over the pond. My guess is it's at least 30 or 40 meters tall. HUGE! You can climb this tree and jump down into the pond. Most fun I've had in my life, and it's a perfect photo oprotunity!

Another point to mention, if you're traveling by truck in Ambea, you will often be swarmed by flocks of parots that follow the trucks on sunny days. Again, perfect photo oprotunity.

Unfortunately, during my visit, I didn't have my camera for the parots. I'm in the process of getting my photograhps of Vanuatu in digital form, so keep an eye on my page for those.

• Beaches
    • Sailing and Boating

• CandS's Profile Photo

Tanna Island

by CandS Written May 5, 2004

Tanna Island is definitely worth a visit! It may be fairly expensive (about A$230 per person) to fly there but it is worth the money!!! We visited an amazing live volcano, some great villages and so much more!!!

Mt Yasur Volcano
    • Safari

• slaybelle's Profile Photo

In Vanuatu, 100 different...

by slaybelle Written Sep 12, 2002

In Vanuatu, 100 different languages are spoken in a population of 150,000.And Magic is still highly practised even today.

• DONBURGESS's Profile Photo

Ok off the beaten path, what I...

by DONBURGESS Written Aug 26, 2002

Ok off the beaten path, what I would recomend is too hire a car and go explore the island at your own lesuire, there are place's around the Island that you must see and spend some time doing. There are a few accommodation places scattered around the island so its worth taking more then one day to do the trip.

• dreamworld's Profile Photo

Look at the Presidential...

by dreamworld Written Aug 25, 2002

Look at the Presidential Palace in Port-Vila
    I don't know if they changed it....but when I showed up in 1994 that was a 'half-destroyed' green and white building, quite ugly. It made me feel like if the site has been bombed during a war.

Vanuatu Hotels

10 Reviews - 12 Photos
Efate Hotels
19 Reviews - 19 Photos

Instant Answers: Vanuatu

Comments

Vanuatu Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Vanuatu off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Vanuatu sightseeing.
Map of Vanuatu