Mount Yasur, Tanna

Tanna Island, Vanuatu

Philippe,my driver and guide to Yasur.
  • Mount Yasur
  • Mount Yasur

Yasur entry pass.

by rosequartzlover1 Written Mar 26, 2015

Tanna , Yasur volcano entry pass was 3,350 vt./person and if go again for the second time it’s half price ,the third time another half and 4th time on…it’s for free .I went there 2 times ,first time in the evening and second time early in the morning .I’d love to see it again and again .The second time I’d like to try early morning to see how different.It’s has to be lucky about the weather if there are too much clouds ..like in my case in that morning ,I didn’t see it better than the evening time.
    I had appointment with my guide ,Philippe as early as 3 am.He’s funny.. came without shirt cuz couldn’t find where it was.. while during the night there’s no light and he threw it away because of warm temperature.The temperature in November ..beginning of summer is quite warm and humid so at night if no wind it can be inconvenience for sleeping but in my tree house there's some breeze get through the window.
    We went with the Australian couple that came with us the same plane and same truck.They’d like to see it for the second time too.That morning.. there were only 4 of us.It's quite chilly in the morning up there ,better prepare some jacket.The staff at the ticket booth always be there ,just wake them up. .But I think it’s quite expensive for the ticket and actually in such a price they should allow us to go again at least 2 times…

Philippe,my driver and guide to Yasur.

Yasur surrounding

by rosequartzlover1 Written Jan 6, 2015

The journey to Yasur volcano isn’t only exciting , but the surrounding view is also breathtaking,…moonscapes made of ash, rivers cutting their way through the soft limestone or even softer volcanic ash, altering the landscape in front of your eyes.River, cascades, local villages, lush forests and the road of a thousand pot holes.The surroundings of Yasur in the north west which is downwind side are unvegetated ash plain whilst the other flanks are quite vegetated with dense forest.
    1.Some parts of the river are dry.
    2. It looks like hard brick but when I crushed it ,it’s very soft and it’s shattered into powder.
    3 -4 River valley eroded the ash plain.
    5. A very deep pot hole.

The crater.

by rosequartzlover1 Written Dec 27, 2014

Yasur normally is in level 1 or 2 which is safe enough to reach crater rim but on your own risk.In June 2010, activity was at level 3 and involved several vents in both the north and south craters. These adjacent craters are seperated by a small ridge and together have a maximum diammeter of about 400 meters. The southern crater is the main focus of tourist interest and a main viewing area exists about 150 meters from the inner rim of the crater. During June, 2010, activity was of fluctuating intensity ranging from minor strombolian eruptions to powerful eruptions , accompanied by visible shock-waves.When I was there I can see shock-waves many time as well, it’s amazing.
    When the smoke diminished we can see the 2 craters.I took them from different angle.

Lava rock.

by rosequartzlover1 Written Dec 27, 2014

The rock in this picture, I saw it around the crater rim ,it should be “Volcanic bombs” which are blobs of lava that have been ejected from a volcano during eruption. Any chunk of rock spewed out of a volcano that’s larger than 65 mm in diameter (2.5 inches) is considered to be a volcanic bomb, or lava bomb. Some bombs cool and harden before hitting the ground.I think this one is kind of lava bomb called “Scoria”. Scoria forms when magma containing abundant dissolved gas flows from a volcano or is blown out during an eruption. As the molten rock emerges from the Earth the pressure upon it is reduced and the dissolved gas starts to escape in the form of bubbles. If the molten rock solidifies before the gas has escaped the bubbles become small rounded or elongated cavities in the rock. This dark-colored igneous rock with the trapped bubbles is known as scoria.If we look closely you can often see tiny mineral crystals in scoria,that’s why it’s looked a bit glassy.

Volcano observatory.

by rosequartzlover1 Written Dec 25, 2014

On the crater rim ,there’s a machine like this ,using solar power.I think it should be some kind of seismic monitoring that can detect and record the vibration ,earthquake,seismic and dynamic activities.This helps to forcast when the volcano could erupt.At least 3 signs that should happen before big eruption could happen,1.Seismicity or earthquake 2. Deformation of the crater floor and the lava dome.3. The amount of gas emissions.
    Another equipment attached to the same pole must be a GPS receivers that mostly set up over several volcano benchmarks so that they can collect data from the satellites.I saw a TV program once showing the Vanuatu volcano and seismic monitoring room that checking and collecting these data .I think that is “ Vanuatu Meteorology and Geohazards Department” which is owned by government.
    (The following articles is from Geohazards website..)
    There are 6 volcanoes in Vanuatu that they monitor the current alert level . There is 2 differents types of volcano group, the frequently active volcanoes (Yasur, Lopevi, Ambrym) and the 'dormant' volcanoes (Ambae, Gaua, Vanua Lava).The current volcanic activity alert level for Yasur,Ambrym,Ambae and Gaua and Lopevi is now level 1 while Vanua Lava still maimtain level 0 that means “normal and quiet” .Level 1 means “Increased activity, danger near crater only. Signs of awakening”.The island of Lopevi is also now “no go zone” until further notice.
    In july 2012,..These analyses of the volcanic activity of Yasur, according to the Vanuatu Volcanoes Alert Level ,place the Alert Level of Yasur Volcano at Level 3. This means that the explosive activity of Yasur is continuing with moderately increasing activity and the danger remains near the volcano crater, the summit area and the parking area within the Red Zone of the hazard map. Thus approaching the volcano’s summit and crater rims could be dangerous. It would be safer to view the volcano away from the crater rim and the parking area to avoid any projectile, ash or gas impact.

The ash plain.

by rosequartzlover1 Updated Dec 20, 2014

I didn't go to visit any local village in Tanna because I plan to do it in another island ,so In Tanna I specified only Yasur volcano and around. I walked to the ash plain to see Yasur from it's foot ,even couldn't see the lava but the volcano allure me so much .We brought some snack and drink cuz planed to be there the whole afternoon ,just to be there and watched and hear the sound of rumbling.There's no tree that can give you the shade so be prepare for that, but for me that day it was cloudy and rained a bit so I got some experience of acid rain cuz we sat right under the fume. direction.
    It's only 2 and half km. from my hostel to the ash plain ,bring some torch if you want to go back late .We both had torch but it seemed not enough light and the around sound of million insects was so loud ..almost being deaf because of that : ) It made the atmosphere was quite eerie .
    pic. 4,5 A group of tourists came by and having fun driving up-down the ash dune ,they can do well...must be fun...but hurry up guys ..the best thing waiting up there on the crater rim ...wish you good luck cuz today is cloudy .

Yasur firework

by rosequartzlover1 Written Dec 15, 2014

Yasur is most well known ,most visited volcanoes in Vanuatu and is one of the world's most active volcanoes.The continuous eruption has been over 200 possibly 800years, emitted persistent strong explosions that could be heard and felt by nearby residents. It lies at the boundary of the Indo-Australia and Pacific tectonic plates.It is mostly unvegetated with 361 m. high pyroclastic cone with a nearly circular, 400-m-wide summit crater. Yasur is largely contained within the small Yenkahe caldera and is the youngest of a group of Holocene volcanic. There ‘s increased activity in October 2013, the large amount of ash emissions caused the damage to vegetation on Tanna Island. Ashfall was reported as far as Erromango Island 150 km north of Yasur . In November 2013 ,there’s a large strombolian eruptions ,( Strombolian eruptions are relatively low-level volcanic eruptions, named after the Italian volcano Stromboli, where such eruptions consist of ejection of lava bombs to altitudes of 10 to 100 meters. They are small to medium in volume),the explosions that time sent molten lava up to 4 m. diameter 250 m. from the vent. Bombs were expelled onto the outside flanks of the cone. This eruptions were some of the largest at the volcano during the past 20 years.

I like the shade of color..so beautiful. Umm.... Very impressive... Another BOOM..!! And another...

Up to the crater rim.

by rosequartzlover1 Written Dec 14, 2014

I arrived my hostel around 3pm. ,and went to vocano at 4 pm.I planned to walk to volcano cuz it’s only 45 minutes walk but that day I had fever so I agree with my driver to go by his truck cuz the Australian couple will go by truck anyway so I just join them, but ..not free.. We have to pay to “Pilippe” our driver that will be our guide too. He charged 1,500 vt. each for guide fee and petrol.It sounds expensive but it’s just like that.The road up to volcano is rough and not easy to drive up there.One time our truck almost gave up and slip down.
    The parking area is at the south east side of volcano.Then walked up to the crater rim .The last part is quite steep but easy to climb.The wind usually blow the toxic gas to the west side but some time the wind change direction ,so just be careful .1\
    1.The volcano post box up there ,I didn’t prepare any post card ,so I didn’t send any.
    2.The path up to crater rim.You can see parking area.
    3.Vow…!! Finally…!!!!... I sat quite close to the rim.
    4.While I was busy preparing my camera for some kind of selfie ,the volcano burst out ..so loud noise ..I was lucky to get this shot.
    5.Another BOOM !! You have to be there ,picture couldn’t show the real atmosphere.It’s impressive..
    The next tip I’ll show the pic when it’s dark….

To Yasur.

by rosequartzlover1 Written Dec 12, 2014

When approaching the volcano ,we took a break again around the ash plain to see Yasur from there.It's beautiful. After that we had to ford the river ,I think the name is "Siwi " river.The water level wasn't deep ,can ford easily by 4x4.

Ash plain. Fording the river. Siwi river.

Going to Yasur volcano.

by rosequartzlover1 Written Dec 12, 2014

These pictures are the view along the way from airport to Yasur volcano which is located at the southe east tip of Tanna Island and is about 2 km. from the coast "sulpur bay" It's about 30 km. from airport along the rough road and need 4 wheel drive only,because of the road condition that's why it takes about 2-3 hours to reach the volcano area.I asked my driver to stop for a while to take the first glimpse of Yasur from far. ..Can't wait to see it closer soon.

• CandS's Profile Photo

Mt Yasur Volcano

by CandS Updated Jan 24, 2006

You really must visit Mt Yasur Volcano if you get the chance...it is amazing!! We arrived just on sunset to find the hot lava being spewed in the air. We could also hear the huge 'booms' from a long way away...very scary when you get up close but fantastic all the same!!!

Mt Yasur is on the opposite side of the island to the airport so you can choose to stay nearby or at one of the resorts near the airport. Either way you will have to do the long trip across the island...

Hot Lava
    • Safari
    • Hiking and Walking

• minstrel74's Profile Photo

Going to the top of Yasur Volcano

by minstrel74 Updated Oct 9, 2004

Visiting Yasur is probably for most people the highlight of their trip to Tanna. It certainly was for me. There are not many places where you can peer over the edge of an active volcano rim as it spews out lava. There are no doubt many operators on the island who can take you here, and they seem to do so primarily in the late afternoon and into the evening when you can see what's shooting out of the crater, which probably makes the visit more interesting and maybe even safer.

Note that all visitors to the volcano will need to pay the 2000 VT entrance fee before making the trip up. For me, this fee was collected the day before as I was being driven to Port Resolution from Lenakel. It may seem a bit pricey, but trust me, it's worth it. That is, unless you regularly stand at the edge of a firey cauldron of explosive molten rock.

For a personal account of my visit to Yasur, see my travelogue entitled "An Evening at the Volcano."

peering into Yasur Volcano
    • Hiking and Walking

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo

Take a Hike? Take a Beer !!

by Geisha_Girl Updated Sep 14, 2004

The hike up to view the crater of the volcano is about a 15 min. walk up the black ash. When the wind kicks in, it could make visibility a bit tricky.........add in some drizzle of rain and voila! That makes for one thirsty hiker!

Note: Bring Beer !! ;-)

Beer goes well with spewing molten lava!

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo

Don't mess with Mother Nature!

by Geisha_Girl Written Sep 14, 2004

Tanna's Mt. Yasur is just 360 meters above sea level.....but what it lacks in height, it certainly makes up in activity.

Bits and pieces of molten rock and ash spew out on a regular basis.

It was a very impressive show for us at dusk.......hiking up the side on a windy day and being entertained by the volcano with its awe-inspiring fireworks display of red hot lava rock against the blackened sky.

Mother Nature's Fireworks Display!

The Tempermental One - Mt. Yasur

by Geisha_Girl Updated Sep 12, 2004

One of the biggest draws to Tanna Island, is one of the world's most accessible active volcanoes, Mt. Yasur.

Just 360 meters above sea level, reports show that Mt. Yasur averages about 500 explosions per day, which is typical of the volcano's normal activity.

Arriving into this part of the island was like stepping onto an entirely different planet!

Land of smoke and fire