What to pack for Antigua and Barbuda

Most Viewed What to Pack in Antigua and Barbuda

Resort Dress Codes

by cjg1 Written Nov 1, 2013

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Depending on what resort you are staying; check ahead for dress codes posted on their websites. At our particular resort it is required for men to wear collared shirts, long pants and closed shoes in certain restaurants. we saw many a guest get turned away from dinner due to improper attire.

I always make sure to have long pants usually two pairs of linen ones. Short sleeved colared shirts and two pairs of closed toe shoes. Yes, it can be unbareably hot but I actually enjoy dressing for dinner.

Underwater Camera

by cjg1 Updated Oct 28, 2013

Photo Equipment: An underwater camera is a must for all of our travels but definitely for a beach getaway. Having an underwater camera allows a no worry vacaction if you get it wet by the pool or beach. It also is great for in pool pics and when snorkeling.

Swim Shirts

by cjg1 Updated Oct 25, 2013

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: I am very light skinned and just five minutes in the sun can turn me Lobster red. During our last trip to Hawaii my wife found me some nice UV swim shirts(both long and short sleeved) to cover up from the sun. These were a perfect way for me to enjoy the water without fear of a sunburn.

The snorkel boat at our resort wouldn't let you snorkel unless you had a shirt to wear in the water; needless to say many people were buying swim shirts from the resort shop due to this.

Packing for An Island Getaway

by cjg1 Updated Oct 25, 2013

Luggage and bags: A large suitcase and a garment bag sufficed for us.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Pack light clothing for the tropical heat, flip flops, sandals, shorts, water shoes and swimwear.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, toothbrush & paste, body wash, sunscreen, bug repellent, first aid kit and medications.

Photo Equipment: Digital Camera and my underwater camera to capture some fun in the water.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Beach bag, water shoes, umbrella(it does rain in the Caribbean). A hat is always a must to protect from the strong sun. UV Swim Shirts are also very helpful especially if you burn easily.

Insect Repellant

by cjg1 Updated Oct 25, 2013

Miscellaneous: Insect Repellant is a must here. The resorts usually fog for bus but that doesn't stop the mosquitoes and sand fleas from biting. We always bring OFF and spray it liberally during the day and night. Even with our repellant my wife had some serious mosquito bites on her feet and legs that became a deep purple in color.

Sun Block

by cjg1 Updated Oct 25, 2013

Miscellaneous: Sun Block is an absolute must. We carry tons of it when tarvelleing in a high SPF that is waterproof for both face and body. Make sure to constantly re-apply; the sun is very strong. It is always better to carry more than you need than not have enough and have to pay exorbitant prices at the resort or in town. We became friendly with a nice honeymoon couple who didn't bring enough sunblock and were floored by the resort prices. We wound up sharing our sunblock and bug guard with them for the remainder of their stay.

Medical Essentials

by cjg1 Written Oct 25, 2013

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: I always joke that my wife carries around a pharmacy in her bag but it is usually a godsend. There is always a trip that requires a bandaid, some cortisone cream or an antibiotic ointment for a cut or scrape. It is good to come prepared for whatever first aid need that might arrise or if you have somach upset or a developing cold.

Our last visit I was stung by a bee the very first night which required my wife to extract the stinger from my arm. She fortunately was prepared with cortisone cream and a bandaid for my wound which after a night was feeling significantly better. Our second night at the resort my wife took a bad fall and injured both of her knees. She had the needed anticeptic and bandaids to bandage up her bloody, bruised knees. Fortunately after that we didn't have any other medical issues.

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

Packing for a Island Vacation

by LadyRVG Updated Sep 17, 2013

Luggage and bags: Depending on the length of stay. We spent a week at an all inclusive resort so we had a large suitcase and a rollaboard.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: We dressed for the weather with light, cool clothing for the heat and humidity. As for night attire we brought "resort" evening wear which included linene pants for hubby with proper shoes; not flip flops.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Packing for a 1 day stop

by Dabs Written Feb 20, 2011

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Aqua shoes were nice to have on the kayak trip as we needed them to get to the snorkeling spot

Swim wear for the beach, a hat with a string that ties under your chin to protect you from the sun and that will stay on during the motor boat ride and a towel for when you get into the taxi to keep the seat dry

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Sunscreen is essential for me in Caribbean ports

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: If you are planning on snorkeling from the beach, bring your own mask and fin unless you don't mind using a rental

Miscellaneous: We brought a bottle of water but didn't really need it as our hosts provided beverages and a snack. But if you are heading to the beach, you might want to bring some water and a snack in case you head to a beach without a snack bar. They ask you not to bring fruits or meats off the ship since you are going onto an island, so I usually grab some muffins or cookies just in case

• MoNewcamp's Profile Photo

Calling all animal lovers

by MoNewcamp Written May 26, 2008

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Shoes, if you plan on going to the rain-forest for the Canopy Tour you'll need closed toed shoes

Jolly Beach Resort Ristorante Bocciolo Men MUST have dress shoes and the frown on some womens open-toed sandals

Photo Equipment: water proof camera (even a disposable one would of been handy to have while out and about)

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Jolly Beach Resort supplied beach towels for a deposit at the front desk, you can trade your towel in for a fresh during your stay. Now that the airlines are strict on size, weight and number of bags this is a great amenity.

Miscellaneous: If you have a huge heart, love animals and have some extra room to bring presents for the shelter; PAWWS
    The shelter is based in Parham
    a few ideas of items needed below or contact the shelter: email: paaws@apuainet.ag
    website: http://www.antiguanice.com/clubs/paaws/index.html

They always need treats, Collars (small to medium sizes) and leashes are always useful
    short chains (about 12") with clips on the end- used to securing the bottom of the gates to the pens
    Hard rubber toys that are puppy proof and some of those rope toys
    Large steel water bowls
    packets of Endolav Heart Worm tablets
    or any items that you may think of that will help them look after the dogs and make them happy.

• Beaches

• LisaMJ's Profile Photo

Antigua/Galley Bay

by LisaMJ Written Oct 1, 2004

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Swimwear must be covered for breakfast and lunch. At dinner, no swimwear, and collared short/polo shirts for men, long trousers, for ladies, generally smart casual, no Bermuda type shorts.

I must say that my wardrobe was smart casual, but there were a couple of occasions at dinner when I wished I had maybe brought some more dressy shoes with me (as opposed to flats).

Other than that, light clothing, linens etc because it's hot! On days when we had the odd rainshower, it still wasn't cold.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Most things available in Antigua, and a surprsingly small but well stocked shop at Galley Bay.

As usual though, it's usually cheaper to bring from home.

• All you need

by sundreamer171 Written Jun 3, 2004

Luggage and bags: Hand luggage big enough to contain a change of clothes for arrival, especially if coming from a cold chilly winter country- the heat will get you and standing around at immigration is no fun in jeans.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Rain is brief and warm, no rain gear required!
    Some restraunts may request no-sandals at dinner, check this out so you don't get refused!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Things have to be imported to the island, so are more expensive. Bring your own sunscreen, insect repellent medicins etc. Of course these are available if you run out, but don't plan to buy there! When they run out you can just fill up the extra suitcase room with souvenirs and rum!

Photo Equipment: A must have for beautiful sunsets.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Typical beach wear!

Miscellaneous: Food- as it is imported, can be expensive, easily packable things such as tea bags would be a good idea, especially if arriving late to an empty self catered house.

• bellagio's Profile Photo

Packing List

by bellagio Updated Feb 28, 2003

Luggage and bags: If you are flying from the UK on a Charter flight, do not exceed the baggage allowance and make sure your hand luggage does not exceed the stipulated weight and dimensions. UK Charter operators all now seem to weigh your hand luggage to check if it is OK. You should have no problems if you are flying Scheduled.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Casual wear, but suggest you wear long trousers (pants) for dinner. Most men did during my stay.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Didn't notice any mosquitos, but to be on the safe side pack some repellent. Sun tan and after sun essential.

Photo Equipment: I ordered a US plug for my Fuji digital camera, as it will not charge on 110 volts with a travel adaptor. The US plug works fine here, as in Mexico and the US, a very good investment.

Miscellaneous: They have a dual electric system in Antigua. Both 230 and 110 volts. The Americans are OK because any appliance they bring will fit into the 110 socket. However for us Brits (on 240 volts) the 230 volt socket is too small and only takes a small round pin plug, so our 15 amp plugs are useless. You will have to use a Travel Plug using the american pins. This hotel does have 230 volt adaptors, available from reception, though I didn't try them.

• 2byrd's Profile Photo

Under Water Camera!

by 2byrd Written Dec 28, 2002

Luggage and bags: Anytime you find you are running out of room, try using a good quality plastic bag, fill it with your things, then use a vaccum and suck all of the air out you will be amazed at all you can carry like this.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Bring extra plastic bags for stuff!

Photo Equipment: Under Water Camera

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: From now on I'm going to always pack some of my own fishing gear.

Miscellaneous: I like to think of things to give to the people. Maybe it's old clothes or other items.

• doreenellen's Profile Photo

Packing List

by doreenellen Written Aug 25, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: swimming gear, light clothing, sandles for day.

Shirts needed for restaurant meals out for the men
    Anything goes really for ladies.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: No problem with getting anything you need there
    Take insect repellant though, may be cheaper.

Photo Equipment: Take lots of film for your camera or camcorder
    you will need it.

1 Hotel
Barbuda Hotels
1 Hotel

Instant Answers: Antigua and Barbuda

Comments

Antigua and Barbuda What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Antigua and Barbuda what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Antigua and Barbuda sightseeing.
Map of Antigua and Barbuda