Safety Tips in Antigua and Barbuda

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Antigua and Barbuda

Taxi Drivers

by cjg1 Written Oct 29, 2013

If you are in town or by the cruise pier there are tons of Taxi guys wanting to take you on a tour or to the beach. There are literally groups of twenty of so miling around each corner; all of them asking the same question despite you saying no to the five previous. It's very exhausting but they have to make a living.

Jelly Fish

by cjg1 Written Oct 24, 2013

Our last visit to Antigua in 2013 was the first time we encountered any jelly fish. There were large swarms of them in the water which made it a necessity to avoid the beach on some days. We encountered many guest at the resort who had been stung by the jellyfish or met someone who had. We'd rather be cautious and stay out of the water to avoid a painful sting.

Hurricane Season

by cjg1 Updated Oct 22, 2013

Hurricane Season is something to consider when booking a trip to the Caribbean. Hurricane Season begins in June and lasts until the end of November. If you plan on travelling during Hurricane Season you might want to consider travel insurance or experiencing some wet weather.

During our October 2012 trip to Antigua we landed right into Tropical Storm Raphael. The storm created two days of extreme weather; rain, floooding, thunder and lightning. Afterwards the storm moved on to Bermuda as a hurricane. We were fortunate during our 2013 visit to have no tropical storms just some seasonal rain showers.

Aggressive Vendors

by cjg1 Updated Nov 6, 2012

I have to say that in St. John the vendors are the most aggressive I have encountered in the Caribbean. They swarm around you hawking their wares and a good majority of them do not take a "No Thank You" as an answer. My wife just ignores them and walks through......

On the beach they hover over your chair....looking to sell you a necklace, a hat, a tee shirt and even some drugs. My wife just pretends she doesn't speak english and they go away.

Strong Sun

by cjg1 Updated Oct 29, 2012

As always, protect your skin and wear sunblock. We always wear sunblock and hats to avoid getting burned. Bring sunblock with you and make sure to re-apply.

We always weart hats to protect our head, face, ears and neck from the sun.

Mosquitos and Other Biting Insects

by cjg1 Written Oct 22, 2012

Mosquitos, sand fleas and other biting insects can be a problem here. we saw many a person with horrible welt like bites on their bodies. My wife came prepared with some bug spray she bought from Avon which worked like a charm. We were bug bite free the entire trip.

• henrymyles's Profile Photo

St John's - Parking hell

by henrymyles Written Jan 9, 2011

The capital of Antigua, St John's is awful for parking - the centre is actually great to visit but I advise either taking the bus (not sure what number) or getting a taxi (its worth it - be advised though - don't go on the days when the cruise ships are in). If you do go into town in a car the people are so friendly and will always give you directions.

• Crime and Corruption

by Goin4broke Updated Nov 25, 2010

Well I live on Antigua and can confirm the level of violence and corruption has escalated beyond belief in the last 2 years.
    Most forums remove any negative comment regarding the island, one site in particular that ensure no negative comment is tolerated is the "antiguaforums.

There is a blog that collates news paper reports and other facts regarding the island that will probably give you a better perspective of what Antigua is really like.

• Luxury Travel
    • Cruise
    • Spa and Resort

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

Camouflage pattern clothes

by Airpunk Written Jul 31, 2008

While in many european countries, camouflage pattern has become something usual to be seen on normal people, it is not so in some countries of the East Caribbean. Some nations even don't permit such clothes to be worn by any civilian, including children. While Antigua is not among them, you may be regarded as something unusual by wearing something with military pattern. The best is just to put on something else, especially if you plan a daytrip to another Caribbean nation (for example Barbados), where it is strictly prohibited.

This guy would attract problems in other countries

• MoNewcamp's Profile Photo

Grand Princess Casino

by MoNewcamp Written Apr 26, 2008

DO NOT....DO NOT I can't stress enough
    DO NOT play the Rainbow Game!!!!! Unless you want to loose a lot of money!

Besides NOT Playing the Rainbow game, this is the strangest Casino I've even been in...Its pretty much empty and a lot of the slot machines do not work in one way or another and the staff really didn't care.

The bar wasn't bad- Good band the one night and we got to watch the Pens Sweep the first round for the Stanley Cup!

• Casino and Gambling
    • Beaches

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

Drugs and other annoyances

by Airpunk Updated Apr 3, 2008

Long-haired males are not only likely to get special treatment at the shoe-control lane in Stansted, but are also seen as potential costumers to buy drugs. That's probably the reason, why I was asked so many times, if I want to buy some Ganja or whatever you may call it. I don't know about the legal status of cannabis products in Antigua, but I am surely not interested in them. Fortunately, a friendly "no, thanks" works quite well.

In addition to that, avoid to be close to a cruise ship when its passengers are disembarking. Locals will aproach you trying to get you into a taxi for a day tour. Some others are trying to give you a special offer on braiding your hair (Back home, I wouldn't have the slightes idea how to explain that to my boss...). And of course, also the drug dealers are looking for potential costumers. So, if you do not want to feel like a wounded gazelle in the Serengeti, look for your taxi or go shopping at any other time.

Evil cruise ship !

• cymbaline77's Profile Photo

This Hurts Like Hell!

by cymbaline77 Written Jul 13, 2007

And is ridiculously expensive in my opinion ($2/braid...look at them, they're tiny -- I thought they would be long braids). I told her I didn't want more than 20, and she proceeded to do 33 without telling me until they were done. Also, she seemed to get increasingly frustrated as she braided my hair, growling about how thick my hair was (though I'd warned her) and talking in broken English to her friend, right in front of me, about me, as if I couldn't understand!

All I can say is -- and I am no wimp by any means -- I had to take these things out after 3 days due to constant headaches, inability to sleep, nausea, and just general pain. I'd gotten my entire head braided a few years ago in Jamaica (for $25 U.S.) and it didn't feel like this. This is disgusting, but almost two weeks later I have scabs on my head!

So it may have looked kind of cool, but not worth the money or listening to the complaining angry beach lady, and especially not worth the pain!

Ouch!
    • Beaches

• aussiecouple's Profile Photo

Take care when photographing

by aussiecouple Written Jun 25, 2007

I was filming a delightfully mis-spelt sign at a petrol station while my husband was filling the car. A group of youths approached from the road and demanded money for photographing them - which I most certainly was not. Seemingly under the influence of substances they were very threatening and we had to pay and leave in a hurry. The only downside of otherwise friendly and hospitable people.

• flip-flop-traveller's Profile Photo

Attention with Rental Cars

by flip-flop-traveller Written Jan 2, 2005

When taking a rental car check the tires and look if there are any tools in the car. Our car had a flat tire after crossing the second bumper and there was no tool in the car which could enable us the help ourselves.
    Also the complete absence of traffic signs on the whole island makes it difficult to find your way.

• 2byrd's Profile Photo

Beware of the Antiguan Vendors.....

by 2byrd Written Dec 28, 2002

My daughter and I decided to spend the day on the beach, so we found 2 chairs away from the crowds. We placed our towels and items on the chairs and went for a swim. While swimming I thought I heard someone talking and ask my daughter if "He" was talking to us. We didn't think so. We continued to swim. Finally he became so loud it was apparent he was definitly talking to us. I ask him what was his problem. He just kept on ranting and raving in anger. Everyone was wondering what the problem was. I explained I thought this was a public beach and that the chairs were for anyone staying at the Hotel to use. I moved our chairs and stuff. He continued to be loud and rambling. This was his spot he declared. My daughter then approached and ask what was his problem. She wasn't about to back down from his rudness. Security came and they couldn't get him to calm down either. Finally another vendor used his cell phone and called the Police. They came and the guy was still ranting and raving. Another older Antiguan woman had told me he was trouble for everybody. He had recently hit a man over the head for sitting under a tree. The man had to go to the hospital. She said no one ever does anything about him. It was then I decided we would do whatever we could to get this madman some help. We had to go to the police station to file a report. The wildman was arrested for the night. We then had to attend court the next day. When it was all over we were told they would have to have another court date Jan. 23 for more wittnesses to appear. He was released and back out on the beach the same afternoon.

Gary's Farm Police Station

Antigua and Barbuda Hotels

• Rex Halycon Cove

We hav stopped at the Rex Halcyon Cove for the our last 2 trips to Antigua. On our first trip the...

• Galley Bay Hotel

Barbuda Hotels
1 Hotel

Instant Answers: Antigua and Barbuda

Antigua and Barbuda Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Antigua and Barbuda warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Antigua and Barbuda sightseeing.
Map of Antigua and Barbuda