What to pack for Aruba

by svillegirl
    by mocca

Most Viewed What to Pack in Aruba

by droid_travel14 Written Mar 24, 2014

Luggage and bags: I would bring a small inexpensive bag that you can leave on the beach with your sunscreen / sandals in it.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Sandals, comfortable and lightweight, ones that can get wet.
    Snorkel gear if you don't want to rent some on the island

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: I would bring Ibuprofen, pepto-bismol

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: I would bring chair clips, it is breezy in aruba most of the time and chair clamps / clips will help keep your towel from blowing off the chairs, it's pretty annoying.

Miscellaneous: Wife and I took our own alcohol to aruba. We mixed our own drinks in our suite and then drank them on the beach. It's a lot cheaper than buying them at the bar.

• flynboxes's Profile Photo

Sun screen and water

by flynboxes Written Aug 29, 2010

Luggage and bags: It is warm here..pack as light as possible. Kim and I took backpacks that fit in the overhead bins so we did not have to spend time in the airport waiting for bags

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Light colored clothes that reflect the sunlight which is bright here, good pair of slaps as the sand pavement can get hot during the afternoon. If you come during rainy season bring a cheap/light poncho..does not rain for long here as Aruba is very arid.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Sunscreen is cheaper at home than it is here so bring at least a spf 30 with Helioplex or mexoryl. I also brought a UV protectant rash guard (shirt you can wear in the water) that you can buy at dive/surf shops for 20-30 USD rather than spend time coating my back with the stuff.

Photo Equipment: Bring your own..I use a Nikon Coolpix with a 5x zoom which worked. If plan to diver bring a camera or you will pay to rent one..I took a Kodak disposable but did not use it till I got to Bonaire

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Small torch since there are no street lights on the back roads.

• TROPICALVICKY's Profile Photo

Neat little gadget --toweltrap

by TROPICALVICKY Written Apr 22, 2009

Luggage and bags: always pack an extra small duffle bag in your suit case for sure!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: casual unless you want a formal dinner

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: sun screen sun screen sun screen!!

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: The best thing I found last year was at the Tam and called a towel trap. It is the best thing I ever found for the windy warm Aruba beaches! It's a strap with a pillow that holds your towel to your lounge chair and there is a compartment on the back to slide your room key in! It was great and I didn't have to chase my towels down the beach! My packaging says you can order them online too because I guess they run out of them really quick at the Tam. Their website is www.toweltrap.com --- In fact since my sister-in-law and brother are coming with us this year to Aruba I just ordered a few more, just in case we can't get any at the Tam.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Packing for sunny weather

by Dabs Updated Dec 13, 2007

Luggage and bags: Something to bring wet clothes home in, I used plastic bags from the grocery store

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Aruba is casual but if you plan on going to the nicer restaurants or casinos you'll want to pack at least one casual dress/skirt for women, one pair of long pants and a collared shirt for men

Aqua shoes came in handy when we went to the natural pool

Shorts, bathing suit, sandals, hat preferably with something under the chin as the wind is strong

Although it's not supposed to rain, I did use an umbrella

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Sunscreen!

Toiletries will depend on the hotel, our high end hotel had everything but bath gel

Photo Equipment: Underwater camera

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: snorkel gear if you plan on snorkeling from shore

tennis shoes or hiking boots if you plan on going to Arikok National Park

Miscellaneous: Lots of $1 bills and change if you plan on taking the bus, USD is accepted virtually everywhere

ATM card, credit cards, passport (US travelers)

Lots of stuff to read

• jlynyc's Profile Photo

Bring lots of sunscreen

by jlynyc Written Sep 4, 2007

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Casual resort wear is fine for the day, dress nicely for restaurants or casinos at night. Bring plenty of sunscreen -- the higher the SPF, the better. The sun in Aruba gets very hot but due to the trade winds you will not feel yourself burning until it is too late! The first time I traveled there I went to the beach at 4p thinking I would not get enough sun to matter. 20 minutes later I was burned to the point where I could not go out in the sun for 2 days (I generally do not burn and have a darker, olive complexion). Be careful!

• xristinaki's Profile Photo

lots of hair accessories...sunscreen..

by xristinaki Updated Mar 31, 2007

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: bring some aftersun stuff...but you can always find them in drugstores...you can buy an excellent after sun 'aruba aloe' from stores everywhere.

and obviously bring lots of sunscreen....don't bother bringing the spray ones becayse the wind will blow it to other directions...we wasted a lot of sunscreen this way.

Miscellaneous: for the ladies..don't bother fixing your hair....it will be blown all over the place...so bring some elastic band and put your hair in a ponytail etc

• Be sure to pack...........

by mi-rider Written Feb 25, 2003

Luggage and bags: Take an extra duffle bag or something to put all of the things you bought in there seperate from the things you brought. This will speed up customs if they decide to check you out.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Take a hat!!! I didn't & I bought one (I don't normally wear them). Water shoes are a must. The coral that washes in (sometimes) can be painfull to walk on to get to the sand beyond.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Needless to say, sunscreen!! We also took a bottle of Aloe Vera gel to put on the sunburn. We used almost the whole bottle between two of us in a week. Aloe Vera is very expensive in Aruba.

Photo Equipment: Take a backup camera (if you have one) and all the film you think you may use. Film is very expensive. Our camera broke the 2nd day in Aruba and we ended up buying disposable cameras (around $24 U.S. a pop for 27 pics).

• dennings72002's Profile Photo

Packing tips

by dennings72002 Written Feb 25, 2003

Luggage and bags: Pack bags light enough to carry a full bag of souvenirs to come back with you. That's one thing we didn't think about.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: -Bring only two pairs of sandals. I brought six and only used two! Bring one dress and one casual/ beachwear.
    -Men might be required to have backs to their shoes in some restaurants.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: -Bring bandaids for possible blisters.
    -Bring lots of 30 SPF sun tan lotion, the sun is HOT, HOT, HOT!

Photo Equipment: -For a week stay, bring at least 4 rolls of film if you're picture people, 2 rolls if you're not. Remember, they don't go bad and if you buy it there, you'll end up spending a lot more.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Make sure you have a few beach towels if you don't care to use the resorts.

• Spa and Resort

• LysDor's Profile Photo

by LysDor Updated Aug 30, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: With Aruba's tropical climate, you will be comfortable in casual summerwear plus some light evening wear for restaurants, nightclubs and casinos (men might need a light jacket).
    Bathing suits are not permitted in shopping and business areas.

More pictures and comments in my travelogue

by idrincon Written Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: The usual stuff but take a bag you can carry on local excursions.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: This is the Caribbean !!!! Bring your best tropical attires ! However nights tend to be fresh... a jacket will not harm you...

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Tons and Tons of solar blocker... you can get sun burn waiting for a bus ! And it's very expensive here

Photo Equipment: If you can bring something water-proof, that will be the best bet. However a nice family camera will do it.

• mocca's Profile Photo

by mocca Updated Aug 26, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Take some light cloting for during the day and evenings, and if you really go dancing, to some clubs wear something formal.
    And in the rainy season, make sure you got a raincoat or something.

Photo Equipment: standart to medium-tele lenses are the best here, you can get anything on film owith them And if you have an underwatercamera, don't forget to bring it along.

by Peeokie Written Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: Beware...since September 11th, the airport authority of Aruba will not allow anyone leaving the island to carry any type of electrical item on the airplanes. This includes anything with a battery, camera, walkman, cd player, LAPTOP COMPUTER. You will have to check all of it. My suggestion is the leave the any item you are not willing to check, ie. the laptop.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Bring typical summer and beach gear. But also bring a light jacket. The breezes can make it a little chilly in the evening.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Bring plenty of sunblock.

by BusTraveler Written Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: As is the case with any travel, it helps to put some identifying ribbons, tags, etc on your bags to make identification easier. Many people accidentaly pick up the wrong bags...you would be surprised. Also, due to the hightened security when leaving Aruba you are no longer allowed to take any electronic devices or batteries on the plane.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Although the temperature stays around 80 degrees year round (due to the wind) it can get pretty hot when you go to town. I have seen many people in jeans that didn't look very happy at all. So keep that in mind when you head into town. Pack light clothes for the day and lots of sunscreen. Leave your worries at home.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: If you have any prescriptions, for your safety, carry a copy of the prescription with you just in case any questions arise.

Photo Equipment: You'll have many photo opportunities in Aruba so pack a lot of film and be prepared. If you are an advanced photographer, make sure to bring your uv filter and 100 speed film to capture all the beauty. To catch the island wind surfers bring your 800 or 1600 speed film.

by sherryejones Written Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: We took as few suitcases and duffle bag type luggage as possible. We had locks on everything we took because of them going through customs.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: A must is bathing suits and shorts. If you are spending time outdoors during the day you wear as little as possible because of the temperature. Most people wear their suits under their shorts all the time. In the evenings you will need light weight pants and a light weight jacket or sweater. The breezes really cool off the evenings and when you go into resturants or casinos, the air conditioning really feels cool!!!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Sunscreen is a must!!!!! No matter who you are, you will burn if you aren't protected, especially between 11:00am and 2:00pm. They recommend not to be out in the sun at those times but we are and have sunscreen on. The grocery stores have really improved and you can buy almost anything that you may have forgotten to pack. Their medicines are sold at different stores and not in their grocery stores. But you can get what you might need there. I have never had to use the hospital but I have heard they are wonderful.

Photo Equipment: I took my digital camera this past January and I had no problem with re-charging it or using it there.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: If you go to the right beaches, you won't need beach shoes. The sand is so fine and soft. It may get a little hot but you just step in the ocean and cool off.

• Jefvdw's Profile Photo

by Jefvdw Written Aug 25, 2002

Luggage and bags: There is only a minimum of clothes required for Aruba.
    Still close at the latin continent we expect you wear som decent clothes in the evening or when you go shopping.
    There are no nude beaches on Aruba. (Exept you now some private or secret spots...) For topless sunbathing: go to Manchebo Beach, but however you 'work' on your tan, always dress yourself with a good tan lotion. The sun is a lot much UV-richer than your own place !!!
    Specially when your active in the sun, wear something ! You shouldn't be the first one in the local hospital whith sunBURN !!!
    Pictured again is me and my Ferrarri Convertible in the local -ahum- landscape. The mad disease who let me put my Belgium flag on top of my 2 cilinder sportscar calls:
    'soccer world games' and infect the island every 4 years. 64 different nationalities live in Aruba and all live toghetter with practicly no frictions. Soccer, Baseball, Carnaval...all those themes gives us a nice oportunity to show our own specific roots.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: We repeat loud and clear: SUN TAN LOTION !!!

Photo Equipment: You can develop pictures in 24 hours all over the island. Most big hotels have a business center so you can mail your digital pictures at home. Or you use the internet cafe in the Royal Plaza Mall/o'stad.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: If you have it: Take your own snorkling or diving equipment and $ave som buck$.

Aruba Hotels

1 Review - 6 Photos
Noord Hotels
28 Reviews - 99 Photos

Instant Answers: Aruba

Comments

Aruba What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Aruba what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Aruba sightseeing.
Map of Aruba