Safety Tips in Aruba

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Aruba

• RoyJava's Profile Photo

Mosquitos? No Way! Euhhh... YES!

by RoyJava Updated Jun 27, 2005

It is said you are not bothered by bugs or mosquitos. It seems November is a not-bothered month, and slightly bothered in August. The constant breeze (Tradewinds) help to keep them down, as does the climate. However, I think this has to be one of individual bodily dependence. That is there are tiny flying bugs, big flying bugs and black flies. Those tiny little ones come out of the grass with sunset. That is the hit-attack to some of us, included me and one of the models. The Aruban ones made me sensitive from that time. Any bite gives me illness and huge stone-hard bumps. So I got very carefull with the flying creatures ...

Minimise exposure to mosquitos between dusk and dawn: cover arms, legs and feet with clothing, use a DEET containing mosquito repellent on bare skin (these usually give 3 - 4 hours of protection), avoid wearing perfumes, and wear light coloured clothing, as dark clothing attracts mosquitos. Unless in air-conditioned rooms, spray rooms with an insecticide, light a mosquito coil before retiring.

• Adventure Travel
    • Camping

• RoyJava's Profile Photo

Sun Radiation At Aruba

by RoyJava Updated Jul 18, 2005

It is the UV (Ultraviolet) radiation that is dangerous to human beings. Our eyes responds to light with wavelengths, so we are able to see colours from red to violet. Beyond the UV we cannot see. We have to take care of the short wavelength of UV radiation (UVA). However, the other UV radiation UVB and UVC are the ones that are even more dangerous to living organisms ...

We experimented with the sun-screen-products of Clinique. The Wear Super City Block SPF 25 and Sun-care UV-response face creme 30 turned out the best, and you get beautifully sun-tanned. My brother, born at Papua New Guinea and oft times staying in the tropics, got sun burnt and the spots around his nose and forehead didn't fade away for a long time ... so be prepared !!!

Clinique

Sun - effect

• Water Sports
    • Adventure Travel

• MattNYC's Profile Photo

Hope you like Lizards

by MattNYC Updated May 28, 2004

Iguanas are plentiful here. They are all over the place. They dont bother you and are quite timid. Just beware so that you know to expect them. I was warned but did not expect it when I came across a 3 foot long lizard as I strolled down the sidewalk. It's a bit startling.

• flynboxes's Profile Photo

Crossing the road

by flynboxes Written Aug 29, 2010

Watch the traffic on the roads here especially after you have had a few Brights or Pink Iguanas at the local bar. This is probably your only worry on the island. I have also seen worse drivers in other places.

• flynboxes's Profile Photo

Deep fried Oreos.....

by flynboxes Updated Apr 4, 2011

God...I hate these things...they make my mouth water and my gut bust..why do things that taste soo good end up being so bad for you?????? Had these at Smokey Joes which is part of the Iguana Joes chain on the island

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Beach chairs

by Dabs Updated Feb 7, 2010

We decided to head to the beach for the day off the cruise ship and chose the closest beach to Oranjestad which is Druif Beach. When we arrived we asked a security guard if there was a problem sitting on the beach and she said not to worry, she was patroling and that we could sit on the beach next to the resort which was used by hotel guests. We didn't see any open chairs so we sat on the beach under a palapa, when a chair became free, I went to spread my Princess cruise towel on the chair and a man who had a stand on the beach renting chairs came running over and said we had to rent from him and to get off the chairs even though they didn't belong to him. Something about how he had the exclusive right to non hotel guest chairs and no explanation about the hotel guard seemed to suffice. Of course, our blue and white striped towels gave us away, the hotel guests had green towels.

Not wanting a fuss, we spread out back on the sand as we didn't really need the lounge chairs. I wouldn't have taken a chair if there were hotel guests looking to use them and I was fully willing to rent a chair from the hotel who provide the chairs and palapas but the man renting chairs really annoyed me. I know he's trying to make a living but it's a public beach and the chairs nor the palapas belonged to him, he just had a stand on the beach.

The man disappeared shortly after we got there and never came back, I'm guessing that he does most of his business in the morning when the ships arrive and then goes home.

• ykx86's Profile Photo

Windy island

by ykx86 Written Apr 30, 2003

Aruba is very very windy, just take a look at their signature divi divi tree. Girls always remember to bring something to tie your hair up with, it is annoying to let it all down and flying all over the place while eating dinner.

• diver-x's Profile Photo

Jellyfish

by diver-x Written Aug 6, 2008

This may not be a problem for everyone, but my husband seems to be particularly sensitive to jellyfish parts that are floating in the water, just about anywhere in the Caribbean where boats frequent. Here is what we've figured out: Boats pass through areas where jellyfish congregate and the propeller rips them up into tiny pieces. Apparently even the jellyfish parts can sting sensitive people and the parts float everywhere! I don't usually get a bad reaction from jellyfish. But then I always wear a full wetsuit that covers my arms and legs while I'm diving and snorkeling. Sometimes I feel a barely noticeable stinging on my face but it never leaves a mark on me. My husband wears a shortie. Just look at his arms by the end of our vacation in Aruba! He says he rarely feels any stinging while he's in the water but it itches a lot afterward. This happens every time we go to the Caribbean. Every day he gets more and more marks! If you are sensitive to jellyfish stings then wear a wetsuit in the water! And bring the Benedryl!

• Diving and Snorkeling

• xristinaki's Profile Photo

live firing

by xristinaki Written Mar 3, 2007

If you decide to go offroading around 'tunnel of love'...be careful...we were going to pass the tunnel of love until we heard a loud shot..followed by some more...then i saw a small sign warning that it is a live firing range for the army and enter at your own risk...we quickly turned back!

• Pigsty333's Profile Photo

Treat tourists as Criminals

by Pigsty333 Written Aug 17, 2007

We traveled here for a nice, relaxing vacation only to have someone break into our hotel room and steal most of our belongings. The hotel staff was not receptive and accused of us lying. They notified the Police, who took it upon themselves to harass us for our entire stay and accusing us of lying. They would show up at the room at all hours, come in and check the drawers and safe to make sure we had not stashed the items and jewelry reported stolen in them. Needless to say, it was not a pleasant experience and I will never, ever go back. I don't even take a cruise that makes a stop there and if I ever decide to do a cruise with an Aruba stop, I will make sure I am booked for a massage or some sort of activity onboard and not disembark and set foot on this island.

HATE It!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Singles
    • Women's Travel

• Danger to life and limb

by gmcg Updated Feb 1, 2008

Do not leave a bar with the Kalpoe bros. or Joren Van Der Sloot. Especially if it is Carlos and Charlie's. It may be the last time you are ever seen.

In addition, do not count on the Aruban police to help you if you have trouble. They are more concerned with protecting the reputation of the the island as a tourist destination, and often like to sweep crimes under the rug.

• Study Abroad

• Take water shoes!

by mi-rider Written Nov 1, 2002

We found water shoes to be a very nessasary part of enjoying the beaches at the Tamarijin (low rise) resort. There is abundant coral that washes up, if the waves are right, and it is very uncomfortable to walk on barefoot. Also there was other hazards in the water at the south end of the beach (LARGE pipes, a few bricks, and even a couple of old rusted out 55 Gal drums in the water). In general, the beaches were very nice once you got past these obstacles.

• clbobman's Profile Photo

Danger to your mental health

by clbobman Updated Oct 22, 2004

Too many tourists, a good example of what being featured in a beach boys song will do for a place. Seriously I had to endure this dump for six months once a week, and it was supposed to be a highlight. It's a windy little hole actually and the best thing about it is that some of the people speak Spanish there. n fact the most fun I had there was mistakingly blundering into a predominantly Colombian whore-house. At least the people were alive in there and they were dancing to Bachata and Merengue

The rest of the people just want to sell diamonds and emeralds and make as much money as possible. The usual tourist island crap.

Dont get me wrong though 99.999% of people love this place

• Stealing

by Dalila_Arends Written Feb 14, 2004

Aruba is a very safe island but still it's wise to lock your cars and to not leave valuable belongings on the beach. Aruban people are friendly but that's not a reason to assume that some of them won't steal something when they think you aren't looking.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Spa and Resort

• annk's Profile Photo

No danger here but a warning...

by annk Written Aug 24, 2002

No danger here but a warning that you will probably be approached to attend a timeshare presentation. Timeshares are BIG! business in Aruba, and many from the northeast U.S. have purchased units.

Pictured is the beautiful Costa Linda Beach Resort(next to Bucuti BR).

Aruba Hotels

1 Review - 6 Photos
Noord Hotels
28 Reviews - 99 Photos

Instant Answers: Aruba

Comments

Aruba Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Aruba warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Aruba sightseeing.
Map of Aruba