Bridgetown Warnings and Dangers

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Bridgetown

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Watch your step!

by garridogal Updated Dec 7, 2011

These gutters obviously speak to the amount of rain that the Caribbean gets. One can only imagine that they're of torrential proportions.

But MAAAN.... I'd sure hate to fall into one of them! Perhaps it's a good thing that klutz's like me don't live there!

WOAH!!!

• Hewer's Profile Photo

Green Leaf and Bush Tea

by Hewer Written Jun 4, 2005

As you enter the city past Constitution River from the bus terminus, there are several stalls and shacks set up selling drinks, souvenirs, tattoos and a variety of other things. I was asked if I wanted to buy a special smoke here a couple of times. There is no pressure or anything and they only seemed to ask a few people (maybe I was just lucky?). It never happened anywhere else. Keep it in mind anyway.

Constitution River, Bridgetown

• briantravelman's Profile Photo

The Crazy Man At Burger King

by briantravelman Updated Mar 18, 2015

As I promised, here's my story about the crazy guy at Burger King.
    I'm writing this story for the Burger King next to the Fairchild Bus Terminal, as there is another one further in town.
    Their security guard needs to be fired, IMMEDIATELY! But this only leads to the question as to why this Burger King has a security guard in the first place.

Although there were a few places in the city, where I felt unsafe, I was certain the one place I could feel secure was Burger King. Apparently not. Here is what happened.

We were in there enjoying our fries and burgers, when this mentally ill local man, came in and tried to order a drink with no money. The cashiers of course refused him, so he started asking customers for money. Instead of kicking him out, the security guard started having a conversation with him. I could over hear him talking about me, "Boy with camera." At one point, he was standing right next to me, and I thought he was gonna start bugging us, but thankfully, he went over to this group of about 4 or 5 locals right accross from us, and asked them for money. Next thing I know, they're all shouting and it looks like a fight is about to break out. We didn't stick around to see if one actually did. Still chewing on a bite of my burger, we quickly grabbed our stuff, got the hell out of there.
    Worst part is, the security guard didn't even do anything. He was just standing there, and watching. First time in my life, I had to flee a restaurant, because a fight was about to break out. I'm really glad he approached them instead of us. I can't imagine what would've happened if he approached us, which I know he would've.
    It was pretty obvious to us, that this guy was mentally ill. I read about mentally ill locals living in the former Fairchild market, but didn't think we'd actually encounter any. Unfortunately, we did.
    We never saw anyone come out of the restaurant, but I was afraid he would emerge at any minute, and come after us. As scared as we were, we stuck around the area for a while, trying to find a bus to get us the hell out of there. But after failing to find one, we quickly made our way to beach, where we knew we would be safe. We eventually caught a van bus on the side of the road, continued straight to St. Lawrence Gap, and never returned to Bridgetown again.

I have to tell you, I've been stuck on cliffs and rocks while climbing, been stuck in caves, been lost in the woods, and almost robbed, and at no point in my life have I been as scared, as I was at this moment. Although I love the occasional crazy adventure, this was a bit too crazy for me.
    I know a lot of people will probably disagree with me on this, but I found Bridgetown in general not to be a very safe city. Seriously. I've been to bad neighborhoods in Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Houston, Vancouver, and San Juan. I've traveled through an infamous crime area in Puerto Rico, and visited a Mexican border town, and I have to tell you, that this is the least safest place I've ever been.
    You can disagree with me if you want, but the truth is the truth. First time in my life, I've had to flee a restaurant, because I felt my safety threatened. This is NOT a safe city.

This is not a side of Barbados I wanted to experience, but I am actually glad I did, so people will know what the place is really like. This is not the paradise everyone thinks it is.

• briantravelman's Profile Photo

Carlisle Bay Beach Bars

by briantravelman Written Mar 16, 2015

If you expect to be treated nicely by restaurant staff, avoid some of the beach bars at Carlisle. We were completely treated like trash.

Here's what happened. It was hot outside, and we had been walking for quite a while, so we popped into this beachside restaurant called "Lobster Alive". We ordered two beers, and sat down at a table to drink them. Next thing we know, the lady who took our order comes out, and tells us the tables are only for customers who are eating food here. She told us, if we are not eating food here, we cannot sit here, and must drink our beers somewhere else. She told us, "I'm not trying to be rude, the manager just told me to tell you guys." I understand that she's simply taking orders, but it WAS rude. In the U.S., if you go to a restaurant and spend money, even if you are just having a drink, you can sit at a table and drink it for as long as you want and no one will kick you out. Not here. Okay, I would understand if the restaurant was full, or someone had a reservation, but that wasn't the case. We were forced to drink our beers on the beach, under the hot sun, standing up. And we weren't the only ones. We saw two other tourists order beer, and they were also forced to drink it on the beach. If she told us right away, we cannot drink them at the table, we would've told her to cancel our order, and left.
    If that wasn't funny enough, I threw my beer bottle into this garbage can like a normal person, and this worker from the restaurant, took it out, and kicked it over to a bottle pile against the wall, like some kind of idiot. I don't understand why there is garbage can there, if they don't want beer bottles in there. And if they don't, they should put a sign, that says what to do with it.

But this wasn't as bad as the beach bar I stopped at on the way back. I will just say, that they should consider themselves very lucky, that I do not have the name of that bar, or the exact location.
    Again, we had been walking in the intense heat for hours, and were down to the last few drops of water. I saw this beach bar, and went over there to buy a soda. It "looked" like the girl at the bar was busy with other customers, so I waited...and waited...and waited. After standing there for 5 minutes, and being completely ignored by the waitress, who clearly saw me, I walked away. I get the whole "Island Time" concept, but she didn't even say "hi", or acknowledge me. First time in my life, I was completely ignored by restaurant staff. That's just disrespectful.

We were completely treated like trash in both restaurants. They have A LOT to learn about customer service.

Just my luck, that the only two places I stopped at had terrible customer service. I'd really hate to have the bad customer service of two beach bars, ruin business for other bars and restaurants on the beach, who might actually know how to treat their customers. But you don't have to take this crap. If you walk into a restaurant or bar here and are treated like trash, let them know, you will not do business there if they treat their customers like this. Walk away, and find a place that actually knows how to treat its customers.
    I wish I could recommend some other places on the beach, who actually know how to treat their customers.

Sadly, these people were no acceptation, as we found the majority of the islanders to be extremely rude. And we're not the only ones.

Carlisle Beach

Instant Answers: Bridgetown

Comments

Bridgetown Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Bridgetown warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bridgetown sightseeing.