Papi's Diner, Ambergris Cay

3.5 out of 5 stars 2 Reviews

• Papi's & the Street at upper end of San Pedro
    Papi's & the Street at upper end of San...
    by Bwana_Brown
    Fun Place
    by MrRandMcnally
  • Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Papi's Diner: A Noted Local Breakfast Spot

by Bwana_Brown Updated Apr 4, 2006

Ruth, our hotel host, had given us a lot of advice the previous afternoon on good restaurants, including Papi's Diner as a good bet for breakfast. Maybe she was just supporting the local businesses, but my 'Moon Handbook' on Belize agreed: "Papi's Diner offers cheap breakfasts and lunches, and is popular with locals. This is one of the better locally owned Caribbean joints in San Pedro, and the hike up to the north end of town is worth it..." We had not gone wrong with the Caramba the evening before, so we thought we may as well give it a try.

It was a bit after 8 AM when we arrived, and there was only one other young couple in attendance. However, the good word must have got out because it was not long before a group of older Americans arrived, and they seem to have been 'regulars', judging from their interactions with Papi.

Favorite Dish: Stephen 'Papi' Manuel is a gentleman who takes his good old time taking orders and eventually retrieving the food from the kitchen but, after all, this is the island life in Belize! We were not into eating anything major, so I ordered the 'Belizian Breakfast' of scrambled eggs & veggies, bacon, whole wheat toast and black coffee while Sue decided to have French toast and a Pineapple juice. I used the standard table bottle of Marie Sharp's Habanero Hot Sauce to liven things up a bit, and the meal was quite good and a lot cheaper than the Herbal Tribe on Caye Caulker!

Papi's & the Street at upper end of San Pedro

• MrRandMcnally's Profile Photo

Papi's Diner: A little place with good food

by MrRandMcnally Written Feb 21, 2004

A real local resturant. Towards the north end of town behind the seven seas resort P api's has great inexpensive food. The floor is sandy, the punta and regge are playing and the food has a reall local flavor.

Favorite Dish: I had the tropical chicken for $12 BZ, $6 US. It was good but left me still hungry. I would recomend the seafood kabobs, I stole some of my sisters and it was amazing.

Fun Place

Instant Answers: Ambergris Cay

Comments

View all Ambergris Cay hotels