Smokey Mermaid, Belize City

3 out of 5 stars 3 Stars - 5 Reviews

13 Cork Street (inside the Great House Hotel) 011-501-223-3400

• our skewers and shpimp and that Brazilian dish
    our skewers and shpimp and that...
    by loring_a
  • starship's Profile Photo

The Smokey Mermaid: Classy International Cuisine

by starship Updated Sep 12, 2013

Photo from restaurant website

If you like classy places, stop by The Smokey Mermaid situated in the inner courtyard of the Great House Hotel in the Fort George area. A wonderful Caribbean ambiance is in the air at this restaurant with tropical fruit trees and plants adding to the lush setting. Eat inside or out, and try some the international cuisine which favors both Central American and Caribbean food. This is also a wonderful place for a cool drink on a hot day.

Favorite Dish: Try some freshly grilled seafood or something featuring the local, tropical fruit.

• Archeology
    • Beaches
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Smokey Mermaid: Dine Under the Banyan Tree

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Feb 2, 2008

Karen at the Smokey Mermaid

A little after noon in Belize City we found ourselves near the Great House Hotel which is home of the Smokey Mermaid Restaurant. We thought it looked like a good choice for lunch, and we were not disappointed. The dining area is an open courtyard shaded by a large banyan tree and other tropical plantings. We enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere as well as the food.

Favorite Dish: Karen had a grilled chicken salad and I ordered the nachos. My nachos, piled high with hamburger and cheese, were somewhat greasier than I would have liked but still good.

• Smokey Mermaid: They serve Lobster all year round!!!

by loring_a Written Oct 24, 2007

our skewers and shpimp and that Brazilian dish

On the ground floor of the Great House Inn, a gallery of shops leads to the Smokey Mermaid Restaurant which had a wonderful outdoor garden setting, it really did feel like an oasis in the middle of Belize City, our server even offered us the air conditioned Coral Cove, but we love the outdoors so dined in the courtyard under the stars and trees The large dining courtyard has a fountain, shaded by breadfruit and sapodilla trees and big, turquoise umbrellas, it was such an experience!
    We have been coming to Belize for the past three years for our family vacation, our children also love the restaurant because of another pond area with turtles and fish (it keeps them occupied while we dined on lobster and a bottle of vino) This year we came in the off lobster season and I have been dreaming about their Lobster Thermador since our last visit…. To my delight they were serving lobster (because apparently they had a license to sell during the off season) how fabulous that as for us. So I had my lobster and Bob had teh tiki skewers. The food was so good the next day we went back for more seafood tiki skewers, the coconut shrimp and tried the delicious "Brazilian Special". mmm, the food has never let me down, nor has the ambiance or service. Smokey Mermaid, we will be back next year, cant wait…

Favorite Dish: All of the seafood dishes are to die for! The flavor, the taste, the size, my goodness, we couldn't be happier, everything about the Smokey Mermaid is just great.

• Business Travel

• Smokey Mermaid: Definitely not what it used to be!!

by rwhitt Written Sep 4, 2007

My family and I have been to this restaurant several times over the past ten years and its fallen to a point that after our last visit we will not be back. The prices have risen considerably and the quality of the food has dropped dramatically. Not a good combination. I'm not sure but it seems that the Smoky Mermaid may be one of the Cruise Ship stops for dinner in Belize City and maybe that keeps their business running. We had dinner there mid August of this year(2007) and we will not be back..Honestly this used to be one of our favorite restaurants in all of Belize...

• CLillard's Profile Photo

Smokey Mermaid: Nice patio with water fountain

by CLillard Updated Feb 11, 2003

Great House Hotel w/ Smokey Mermaid Restaurant

The atmosphere is really nice and peaceful. They are open for dinner until 10 pm.

Favorite Dish: The food is okay. I had fettucine alfredo with chicken. They serve it with bread and a salad.

Instant Answers: Belize City

Comments

Hotels Near Smokey Mermaid
3.5 out of 5 stars