Safety Tips in Belize City

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Belize City

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

Pack your lunches when you go to Altun Ha

by joiwatani Written Sep 18, 2011

There are limited restaurants at the Mayan site so make sure to pack your own sandwiches and drinks. There are stores on site but the prices of the drinks are extremely expensive. You are not buying gold, you are just buying a drink!

Bring a backpack to keep your food especially if you have children with you. I was sharing my food with the rest of the tourists because they were hungry!

• Mugsy13's Profile Photo

Climbing the ruins can be dangerous

by Mugsy13 Written May 27, 2007

Visitors are allowed to climb the ruins at Altun Ha. The view from the top is amazing, but take care not to get too close to the edge. Also, be careful when ascending and descending the steps, as they are uneven and sometimes loose.

• 20011019's Profile Photo

Watch it!

by 20011019 Written May 24, 2007

We went for a walk at night, because we hadn't had dinner yet. But when we returned to the hostel; the owners where absolutely freaking out, they were all worried about us and had even contacted the police! It seems that wandering through the streets of Belize City isn't such a smart move! Sometimes people get killed by gangs or something I don't know, I didn't experience the danger, but I absolutely hated the city. It's ugly, dirty and extremely expensive (for no reason obviously)

• kschatterbox's Profile Photo

Flowers and Trees

by kschatterbox Updated Mar 20, 2007

Becareful of what you touch! One tree has very sharp thorns that can poke you and make you very sick! Oscar the tour guide did tell us that with this tree it was called give and take. It can make you very sick and can heal you. I just cant remember how to heal so just dont touch :)

• RAZOR-REN's Profile Photo

DRUG DEALERS

by RAZOR-REN Written Dec 18, 2006

YEP, JUST LIKE IN ANY CITY YOU'LL FIND THEM THERE.

WATCH OUT FOR PEOPLE WHO OFFER YOU DRUGS...I WAS EVEN OFFERED COCAINE BY SOME BLOKE WHO SAT NEXT TO ME WHILE I WAS WAITING FOR A BUS BACK TO GUATEMALA.

• HispanicYob's Profile Photo

Beyond the gates

by HispanicYob Written Sep 4, 2006

If you come on a cruise ship, it's about a 10 minute tender (boat) ride into Belize City. You'll know you're close when the water changes color to a murky brown. Once you arrive at the pier it's fairly safe. There's the usual touristy shops that cater to the gringos. However, one you're out of the arcade and approach the gates, careful! There's these guys there who hassle you into getting into their cars, which probably aren't licensed. Like me, I didn't stand my ground and I took one. I did get to see a lot of the town, which is kind of dirty. Be prepared if you go on a Sunday because a lot of the shops are closed. Watch yourself.

• Cruise
    • Study Abroad
    • Singles

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Unsafe Areas

by Bwana_Brown Updated Apr 21, 2006

Just the drive to our accommodations on a Sunday morning gave me the feeling that the neighbourhood had a few problems. However, it was late morning after we had settled in, so we decided to take a stroll toward the centre of Belize City, near the swing bridge, to see if we could spot a restaurant of some sort for lunch. As we headed north along Regent Street, we could see many derelect buildings, others outfitted with walls and massive steel doors and gates, and even Security guards here and there on a dead Sunday. There was absolutely no traffic or even other pedestrians as we strolled along in the now hot sunshine, past doorways smelling of urine and with crackheads still sleeping it off. Oh well, we thought, it will get better once we get to the swing bridge - and it did. Problem was, all the shops were shut-up on a Sunday and we were not having much luck. We continued onward from the bridge, dealing with the odd panhandler or two begging for money, as the sweat was now turning my T-shirt sodden. It was not long before the surroundings began to deteriorate again and we gradually became aware that we were the only tourists walking on the street as groups of locals just sat in their doorways staring at us. Beginning to get that uneasy feeling that I had walking around downtown Newark, New Jersey not long after the American race riots in the mid-1970s, we made a very slow turn and retraced our steps back to the swing bridge!! Not very often that I get that feeling in broad daylight!

Deciding to cut our losses, we grabbed a taxi by the water terminal and told the driver to take us to the Radisson Hotel, on the waterfront. We were going to get ourselves a restaurant one way or another, even if it was not what we had in mind when we started out! In the end, we never had any problems in Belize City and most people were very friendly. It just did not exude a good atmosphere - and I hate to think about what happens when darkness falls!

A not unusual sight on Regent Street

• Babzz's Profile Photo

Common sense

by Babzz Written Mar 9, 2006

Just use common sense like you would in any big city. Avoid isolated areas, try not to look too lost when getting off the bus, don't necessarily trust what people say. Don't walk with an attitude, and don't use bathrooms in shady restaurants! Personal experience...I blame my boyfriend for that one.

• Belize City is absolutely closed on Sundays!!!!

by Nsara Written Jan 23, 2006

Don't show up on a Sunday in Belize City and expect to do anything. The city is a ghost town on Sundays. Nothing, I mean nothing is open. All of the museums and most of the restaurants are shut down and you really can't do any shopping either. The only places that are open are the big touristy hotels around the Radisson in the Fort George neighborhood, and the Marine Terminal (to take boats to Caye Caulker and San Pedro). Otherwise its rather eery and creepy walking around, since only security guards guarding locked up shops and government buildings are present!!!

• PrincessK's Profile Photo

Belize.. bugs

by PrincessK Written Dec 12, 2004

Belize is swarming with bugs so bring bug spray w you and spray it all over yourself. When I went to Belize, it was part of my cruise so I went on a guided tour through the city to the ruins but I would not recommend seeing the city by yourself.

• Cruise

• The Ocean

by JDwernychuk Updated Apr 28, 2004

I thought they would have really nice beaches there but..
    I think they must dump all there sewage and garbage into the water their because, there was lots of green floating sluge in the little river that ran into the ocean.
    So once you see the water you don't even want to get near it.
    Even at out at the cays, a 45 min boat ride away the water seems like it's polluted.
    SO DON"T DRINK THE OCEAN WATER!

• Beaches

• A warning to all tall...

by daBertl Written Oct 4, 2002

A warning to all tall travelers: Rather stand in a bus than sit, you ain't gonna find any space for your legs.

Belize City Hotels

Latest: Apr 1, 2013
Seaside Guest House
Latest: May 6, 2014

Instant Answers: Belize City

Comments

Belize City Warnings and Dangers

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Belize City locals.
Map of Belize City