What to pack for Caye Caulker

Some items you shouldn't leave without!
    by Jefie
    jogger
    by Anita_Porec
  • Bob's hat for sun that I bought him for Costa Rica
    Bob's hat for sun that I bought him for...
    by grandmaR

Most Viewed What to Pack in Caye Caulker

• Anita_Porec's Profile Photo

On the island...

by Anita_Porec Written Mar 14, 2009

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: You don't have to pack your snorkel and flippers; you can rent them on the island

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Most of the stuff is available in the many Chinese stores.... but you may want to bring mosquito repellent and sunscreen

Photo Equipment: a must, of course! as well as an underwater camera for snorkel/dive trips

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: bring your own towels, guesthouses don't provide beach towels

Miscellaneous: The best thing we brought, traveling with an infant, was the baby jogger or jogging stroller!!

Oh, man....that was the best place in the world for it.

• Beaches
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• Jefie's Profile Photo

A Caye Caulker packing list

by Jefie Updated Mar 1, 2009

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Caye Caulker is a very, VERY casual spot - some t-shirts and shorts can go a very long way! Of course I'd recommend bringing at least two bathing suits (the idea is to wear one while the other one dries), and perhaps a hat/baseball cap to protect your head from the sun. Shoes are optional ;o)

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: I'd recommend bringing some strong waterproof sunscreen and, if you're prone to sunburn like me, a medicated aftersun lotion. The sun is very strong in Belize and if you spend most of your time going in and out of the water, chances are you'll be looking like a boiled lobster before long!

Also, though they are practically non-existent during the day, little bugs tend to appear on the beach at sunset so I'd recommend packing some bug repellent which you can spray around your ankles in the late afternoon when you go out for a walk in the sand.

Photo Equipment: If you're planning on going snorkelling, then I'd recommend bringing an underwater camera. The water on the Barrier Reef is incredibly clear and though there are no guarantees how the pictures will turn out, it's always fun to swim after colourful fishes armed with a camera!

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Though it's possible to rent some on the island, if you have your own snorkelling equipment you'll be able to see plenty of fish and other marine creatures near the Split.

Miscellaneous: Caye Caulker is a very relaxing place and to make the most of it, I'd highly recommend packing a few novels. Several hotels, restaurants and stores around the island have a book exchange system so once you've made it through your own stack of novels, you can always exchange them for new ones :o)

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Shoes are important

by grandmaR Updated Jul 8, 2008

Luggage and bags: We had everything in two carry-on bags each (we are not back-packing types). Bags with wheels don't work well in sand though. Also keep in mind that if you fly it will be in a SMALL plane with not much room for luggage.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I found that if I went barefoot the harsh sand wore the skin off my feet even though I go barefoot a lot and have tough feet. I had two pair of athletic shoes and a pair of Teva sandals that I'd gotten for Costa Rica. Light-weight long trousers (not jeans they are too heavy), & light weight shirts or T-shirts and HATS. Several bathing suits

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Sunscreen!! Didn't find much need for bug repellent because there was a breeze when we were there, but bring it anyway because you might be bothered if there is no breeze or on the bay side.

Photo Equipment: Weather resistent camera, LOTS of film and batteries for the cameras. I use almost all 400 ASA film. I had a panoramic and a regular point and shoot, and a dive camera plus some snorkeling cameras. My husband also had 2 cameras. I think between us we took at least 20 rolls of film in 2 weeks.

Our trip was before most people had digital cameras. If you do - take the digital equivalent.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: I took my dive console and wrenches, my mask (with diopters for reading watch or gauges underwater), dive light, snorkel and fins. We each had dive skins to wear when snorkeling to reduce sunburn. Bob had a canteen and I wore a Camelbak all the time so I would have water.

Miscellaneous: I bought the Fodor's Belize Costa Rica book and tore it in half and took the Belize half with me.

• Trixxi's Profile Photo

Bring the Basics

by Trixxi Written Nov 26, 2006

Luggage and bags: Nothing that rolls is recommended as the streets are sand. Backpacks are a must here.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I did not believe that I would need nothing more than a swim suit, beach towel, t-shirt and shorts and a pair of flip flops. I overpacked. You need nothing more than the bare necessities. And some sunscreen.

Photo Equipment: Underwater cameras are fun for snorkeling and you can get some good pictures if the sun is right. I found an internet cafe on the island that downloaded my digital camera and burned me two CD's. I mailed one home and kept one packed in my bag. The price was very reasonable and it was fun to get home and receive mail from Caye Caulker.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: The sand flies can be a bit of a nuisance but certainly not unbearable.

Miscellaneous: When you are done reading the book by the water, take it to the book exchange at the internet cafe that downloads photos. I found (and left) a few good choices.

• LostBoyPN's Profile Photo

Less is more

by LostBoyPN Written Feb 23, 2005

Luggage and bags: As little as possible. I just brought a backpack. A small daypack is nice, too.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Teva sandals, shorts and tanks or Ts. There were many a day when I just threw on my shorts and put on my Tevas and that was it.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: The only thing the hotels gave were little bars of soap. So, bring shampoo and all the rest. Sunburn lotion and bug spray are needed at times.

Photo Equipment: In addition to your digital or 35mm camera, bring an underwater camera.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: If you want, bring a towel for the beach/pier. A water bottle could also come in handy.

Miscellaneous: Binoculars and sunglasses, for sure.

• Maria_75's Profile Photo

Snorkel

by Maria_75 Written Nov 9, 2004

Miscellaneous: Pack your snorkelmask, tube and fins, and enjoy all the marvellous sights of the sea! There are plenty of great things to see. If you don't have a snorkelmask you can buy or hire it from many of the tour organisers and hotels.

• Diving and Snorkeling
    • Beaches
    • Water Sports

• dovalyn's Profile Photo

Don't pack much

by dovalyn Updated Sep 1, 2003

Luggage and bags: both of us travelled with a small backpack made my Mossimo and a hardcase roller board with a combination lock made by travel pro.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: shorts, t-shirts undergarments and a hat. Teva shoes for getting around

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: we brought along our own supply of a 1st aid kit. Most things you can get on the island tho a little bit more pricier. Bring your own medications, no major pharmacy here.

Photo Equipment: Disposable cameras and underwater cameras can be brought in from home or else it will be twice as much if bought from Caye Caulker. Batteries and extra film from home

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: There is camping here but only at the Vega Inn. Just a tent to pitch since the camp spot is right on the beach.

Miscellaneous: Bring mosquito repellant. We brought one called "Repel" which is a lemon based spray and does not contain any deet from what I could see on the label. It worked great.

• klarson's Profile Photo

Bring Some Long Pants

by klarson Written Jan 9, 2003

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Be sure to bring a pair or two of slacks, as you will be better off wearing these in the evenings on Caye Cauker (and other beach areas). The reason is that there are sand flies that you cannot see, but if you have shorts on, they bite your ankles so that you itch afterwards. Many of the restaurants on Caye Cauker have sand for their floors and are open-air. It was while eating at these places that I got bitten the most!

• Maria_75's Profile Photo

Remember your leatherman

by Maria_75 Written Nov 9, 2004

Miscellaneous: A multi-tool knife like a leatherman is always handy. You can use it for everything from opening cans to coconuts...

Caye Caulker Hotels

Latest: Apr 9, 2014
Seaside Cabanas
Latest: Apr 19, 2014

Instant Answers: Caye Caulker

Comments

Caye Caulker What to Pack

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Caye Caulker locals.
Map of Caye Caulker