Places to eat in Caye Caulker

• Restaurants
    by illumina
  • Restaurants
    by illumina
  • great sunset at the north end of the isle
    great sunset at the north end of the...
    by fearless1

Most Viewed Restaurants in Caye Caulker

• Rose's Grill: Unprofessional and unimpressive

by Meganbledsoe Written Aug 22, 2013

Unprofessional and unimpressive
    I, unfortunately, went to this restaurant and had the worst experience ever.  The service was poor and the food was mediocre and they royally screwed up my charges.  I paid with a card and was not only overcharged for my meal but was charged TWICE.  The charges were one right after the other, but one was for 6 dollars more.  Neither amount was correct.  When I saw my statement, I promptly contacted the restaurant.  The owner, Edwardo, proceeded to delay resolving this issue for over a month.  He kept asking me to send him information I had already sent, blaming his bank for the delay, saying he couldn't find the transactions, and simply ignoring some of my messages.  He eventually, over a month after I first contact him, refunded one of the transactions (even though both were wrong and too much).  I suspect he was hoping I would just drop it and I also think the two charges may have intentionally been slightly different.  After he delayed resolving the issue for 3 weeks I decided to contact my credit card about the refund.  They said they could have easily refunded one of the charges if the charges if they had been the same amount.  But, since they were two different charges, it couldn't be considered a double charge.  After a lot of persistence on my part, Edwardo eventually refunded me for one transaction but he never once apologized for the mistake his restaurant made and all the time I had to spend resolving the issue.  AVOID THIS PLACE

Favorite Dish: Don't go near this place.

• illumina's Profile Photo

Pirates / Chan's Fast Food: Fast (local) food

by illumina Updated Aug 5, 2013

Although it looks like a Chinese takeaway, Pirates (or Chan's Fast Food as the second sign states) don't actually do that much Chinese food. What they do do, is a mean stew chicken, rice and beans, with potato salad or coleslaw, for about BZ$7-8. They also do burgers and fish, but I kept coming back for the same thing! They're also known as Aunties, and a lot of locals get food here. You can eat at the two picnic tables in front of the hatch.
    Best to eat at here at lunch time, they're not open late.

• illumina's Profile Photo

Get Hooked Up: Best value breakfast

by illumina Updated Aug 5, 2013

For the best value breakfast you can find on Caye Caulker, visit this little takeaway hut near the corner of Pasero and Avenida Langosta. It's actually a fishing tackle shop, but they serve fry jack (and nothing else!) out of their back window, stuffed with various combinations of eggs, beans, cheese, ham and chicken. Prices range from BZ$1.50 - 2 for a single ingredient, to BZ$4 for all 5. You can get a takeaway coffee for $1 (it may have gone up to $1.50 while we were there, wasn't sure).

They open around 7am I think, but close at noon. Closed at Easter.

Rainbow Grill & Bar: Dining over the water

by HasTowelWillTravel Written Jan 5, 2013

Rainbow is a great restaurant, built on pilings near the center of town, is a great place to dine over the water. The decor is minimal, about a dozen wooden tables with plastic chairs, but it has a great view of the local docks and out into the water. When we visited, the wind was whipping things about, and so the windows have screens to pull down (or to perhaps block biting insects). We nabbed a table by the outer railing, closest to the water, and enjoyed a late dinner.

Favorite Dish: Rainbow serves a variety of fare, from seafood (lobster, conch, and freshly caught fish) to chicken and beef. My wife had the shrimp fajitas and loved them, while I devoured a beef burrito and side of rice and beans. Delicious.

Amor y Café: Breakfast Delight

by HasTowelWillTravel Written Jan 5, 2013

This is a charming little breakfast place on the main north-south drag (Playa Asuncion) is a great way to start the day. The restaurant, which is usually busy with both villagers and tourists, offers an array of traditional Western breakfast fare (eggs, breakfast meats, waffles, etc.). A relaxed environment and friendly service complete the atmosphere of a chill breakfast nook right in the middle of the village.

Favorite Dish: I had the waffle, which came as Belgian-style, as big as my plate. It was served with homemade whipped cream and syrup. I had a side of crispy bacon to boot, and a fruit juice blend made from all sorts of different tropical fruit. Fantastic.

Rose's Grill & Bar: Fresh Grilled Seafood

by HasTowelWillTravel Written Jan 4, 2013

%w3The first thing that struck us about Rose's is the huge grill set street-side, with tables of seafood freshly pulled from the ocean set next to it. As you approach, the grill master just smiles and tells you that the menu is here, spreading his hands to indicate the spread of lobster, snapper and grouper steaks, kabobs, and whole fish. You make your choice, and it comes with sides, and then sit and relax while your dinner is grilled fresh. The whole experience is perfect for a night after a long day of diving, the food is delicious and fresh, and the atmosphere relaxed and casual. A great place for dinner.

• Diverdan28's Profile Photo

Jolly Roger: Under Renovations but getting better

by Diverdan28 Written Dec 13, 2011

Roger is an amiable chap who holds court streetside. He explained that renovations were underway and his licquor license pending but showed us where to buy our beer, and served us great food in rustic but pleasant surroundings. Once his renos are complete, he will have a great seafront reswtaurant. In the meantime, its stll great food.

Favorite Dish: Any of his seafood is terrific.

• Diverdan28's Profile Photo

Bambooze bar: Great Happy Hour

by Diverdan28 Written Dec 13, 2011

My brother and I stayed for 8 nights on Caye Caulker and tried almost all the happy hours. We finally settled on bambooze with their 2 for B$7 rum drinks. Meldi and Marlena kep the drinks coming and kept us entertained.
    PS: its also a great spot to have dinner. We had fish, rib, and chicken wings and all were great. The wings look like they came off turkeys.

Favorite Dish: Red snapper - fresh tasty
    Panty Rippers - great rum drink at 2 for $7 during happy hour. You can't beat that.

• fearless1's Profile Photo

I & I Swing Bar: The Hippest place to go

by fearless1 Written Oct 19, 2011

no food that night, this is for after the sand box, beers and swings, swing next to the bar and pick up your beer, take a sip and on the next pass set it back down, too friggn cool. Back before the roof top had a roof. Nothing but clear skies at night and plenty of stars...

Favorite Dish: beer and bob marley

• Beer Tasting
    • Singles

Paradiso Sandwich Shop: Good little take-out

by Jefie Updated Mar 26, 2011

I was pretty disappointed when I saw that Jan's Place, that excellent bakery we had discovered on our previous trip to Caye Caulker, had closed. It's now a little sandwich shop called Paradiso, and they offer a nice selection of baguettes, salads, fresh juices and smoothies, which I have to admit makes for a nice difference after a week of gorging on Caribbean food. I ordered the salami sandwich and it was quite good, though perhaps a little expensive ($8). The sandwiches are filled with fresh veggies, and you can also add cheese for a few extra bucks. Not a bad option when you feel like eating something light and fresh!

Los Arcos: Nice restaurant featuring local cuisine

by Jefie Updated Mar 26, 2011

This place used to be an Indian restaurant and I remember walking past it several times during my first trip to Caye Caulker, thinking it looked kind of neat, but the place was always empty (which is usually not a good sign on the island). That restaurant closed and the new owners decided to open a place that serves local dishes instead, and clearly it's working for them because Los Arcos seemed to be doing good business while we were there. The restaurant itself is quite charming and offers a nice view of all the action on Front Street, which makes for a really nice atmosphere. The staff is very friendly and the daily menu features an interesting selection of local specialties. I went for the pineapple chicken and was very pleased with my choice - it wasn't necessarily the best meal I had in Caye Caulker, but if you're looking for something local and not too expensive, I'd say Los Arcos is a pretty good choice. Oh, and they have Happy Hour every night!

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Sandro's: There's a new Italian in town and it's a good one!

by Jefie Updated Mar 26, 2011

This tiny restaurant opened not that long ago but already it's become a favourite with both visitors and locals. Sandro moved to Caye Caulker a few years ago from Italy and he brought with him his favourite pasta recipes to the delight of people on the island. Everything Sandro serves is incredibly fresh and tasty, from the pasta to the garlic bread and salads. There are only a couple of tables inside the restaurant and a couple more picnic tables on the beach, but when the food is that good you don't really need more ambience. Service is not exactly fast, but that's something that can be expected since Sandro takes care of the cooking all by himself and the place is always extremely busy, with people dropping by to place take-away orders all night long. In any case, we picked up a bottle of wine at the market across the street (the restaurant doesn't serve alcohol but you can bring your own) and had a drink while we were waiting for our meal so time went by really fast - and trust me, it was worth the wait!

Favorite Dish: The blue cheese pasta and spaghetti a la bolognesa were really, really good!

The Pirate's Grill: Excellent spot for breakfast and dinner

by Jefie Updated Mar 24, 2011

Here's another restaurant I really enjoyed discovering on this second trip to Caye Caulker. The Pirate's Grill was located just a few steps away from our hotel on Front Street and we first spotted it as we were looking for a place to have an early breakfast before our cave tubing excursion. The restaurant's yummy huevos rancheros were just what I needed to start my day, and my plate was so filling that I didn't have any problem waiting for lunch, even after all the hiking through the jungle and padling down the river! I also very much enjoyed the fast and friendly service, so one night as we were looking for a place to go for dinner, I suggested giving Pirate's Grill another try. At night, the menu is somewhat similar to that of other grills on the island: you can choose from a selection of fresh fish and seafood (there are also some non-sea-related options), which they cook right on the spot, and they also offer a nice selection of side dishes. My barbecue chicken came with coleslaw and marinara pasta, and overall I'd say the taste was slightly more refined than what I'd had at other grills on the island, which for me puts this restaurant a notch above the others.

Favorite Dish: Dinner was really good, but that breakfast was the best I had in Caye Caulker!

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Havana Nights: Don't even try to resist that smell!

by Jefie Written Mar 23, 2011

As you walk past the Cuban-themed restaurant Havana Nights, located just a few steps away from the water taxi terminal, chances are you'll get a good whiff of what they'll be serving for dinner that night: roasted pork! Three days a week, they get the fire going early in the morning so that a fresh pork can be slowly roasted to perfection - it's actually become a bit of an attraction in Caye Caulker, with people stopping by during the day to get their picture taken next to their meal in the making. On most nights patrons have access to an all-you-can-eat buffet that features soup and the traditional rice and beans, along with tortillas, cole slaw and pork slices, which I promptly turned into a Belizean pupusa! On other days, the pork leftovers are turned into equally delicious sandwiches. The restaurant is located right on the beach and offers a no-frills Caribbean atmosphere that I really enjoyed, and it's even possible to enjoy your meal right on the water in one of Havana Nights' docked boats. One of the best new restaurants in town!

Rainbow Grill & Bar: The best patio in Caye Caulker

by Jefie Updated Mar 13, 2011

The Rainbow Grill & Bar is my in-laws' favorite place to go out for lunch, mostly because of its great patio that juts out into the Caribbean Sea, and they've made it a bit of a tradition to eat there after going fishing. The menu offers a nice selection of local dishes and there is always a daily special, so even if we ate there several times during our two trips to Caye Caulker, there was always something different to pick from the menu - and this applies to drinks as well: there's a wide selection of cocktails to choose from, ranging from the classic rum punch to very elaborate concoctions! One of my most memorable dining experiences to date actually took place at the Rainbow Grill: after I caught a huge jack fish, our guide Piggie prepared some filets and brought them over to the restaurant where they were cooked to perfection. I don't normally eat fish, but this time I just couldn't resist!

The restaurant can get fairly crowded when cruiseships are in town, but Noeli and Delmar still manage to offer a swift and friendly service. Not that you'd want to leave this place quickly, though - the view is so nice, chances are you'll want to linger around for one more drink after your meal is over :o)

Favorite Dish: My own favorite dish was the cajun chicken with rice & beans - it's an island classic, and it was just spicy enough.

Caye Caulker Hotels

Mara's Place
Latest: Mar 19, 2014
Seaside Cabanas

Instant Answers: Caye Caulker

Comments

Caye Caulker Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Caye Caulker locals.
Map of Caye Caulker