Caye Caulker Shopping

Toucan Gift Shop on Front Street
    by Jefie

Most Recent Shopping in Caye Caulker

• illumina's Profile Photo

Cayeboard Connection: Need to read or use the internet?

by illumina Written Aug 5, 2013

This little shop has both new and secondhand books, including guidebooks, and has 4 or 5 computers to use the internet on.

They have a few things of local interest as well - some laminated A4 sheets that help you identify local wildlife; I was particularly interested in the guide to fish since we were diving. I didn't get it, and I regret it now!

• HasTowelWillTravel's Profile Photo

Cooper's Art Gallery: Find Great Local Art in Caye Caulker

by HasTowelWillTravel Written Jan 5, 2013

Cooper's is a quaint little storefront in the village, run by Debbie Cooper and her husband. The gallery is stocked with a variety of local artists, including the proprietors, whose simple painting style features colorful depictions of island life (and the frames, with bright colors and whimsical patterns, are designed and painted by her husband). Very browse-friendly, see what catches your eye and go from there!

What to pay: The art runs anywhere from US$5 for a small print with mat up to a couple hundred for the larger paintings and frames.

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Toucan Gift Shop: Your one-stop souvenir shop!

by Jefie Updated Mar 3, 2009

Toucan Gift Shop on Front Street

There are several small gift shops on Caye Caulker and we probably stopped by most of them during our 10 days on the island, but we ended up buying nearly all of our souvenirs at Toucan Gift Shop. There was an incredibly wide selection, the quality was good and the prices were right. However, there wasn't a whole lot of typical local craft - it that's what you're looking for, then perhaps you'd have better luck at the small outdoor booths located near the Split. But for your typical t-shirts, mugs, towels and so on, you'll probably find everything you need to bring your friends and family some souvenirs from Belize at Toucan's.

What to buy: When I realized how many pictures I had taken during my trip I bought a couple of really nice photo albums :o)

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Julia's Fruits & Juices: For a very refreshing snack!

by Jefie Updated Mar 3, 2009

At Julia's Fruits & Juices

Julia is an incredibly nice lady who owns a fruit & juice stand in Caye Caulker. You can stop by anytime during the day to pick up some freshly-made natural juices, or fill your basket with carefully selected fruits and vegetables. Nothing makes you feel like you're in the Caribbeans like munching on a juicy pineapple or mango!

What to buy: I loved the watermelon juice, and I would often stop by to pick up a pineapple that Julia would cut and peel for me so I could eat it on the way back to the hotel :o)

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Cayeboard Connection: Great selection of second-hand books!

by Jefie Written Mar 3, 2009

Sylvain at Cayeboard Connection

If you forgot to pack a book to read for those lazy, sunny afternoons in Caye Caulker, you can always pick one up at Cayeboard Connection. This little store is first and foremost an Internet cafe, but they also offer the best selection of second-hand books on the island, and most are in excellent condition. Don't miss the small but very interesting "local literature" section!

What to buy: I bought a collection of Belizean short stories by local author Zoila Ellis.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Friendship Shopping Center: Local Mini-market

by Bwana_Brown Updated Mar 14, 2006

Bikes and a sand street at the Friendship

There were a couple of small convenience stores located within two blocks of our hotel, so we used both the Chan Mini Mart and the Friendship Shopping Center for some basic needs for our room. Both places have the usual assortment of household goods, suntan lotions and drinks, including cold beers and wine. They also accept credit cards if you want to save on your Belize $. By the way, Caye Caulker now has a bank with an ATM machine, it only opened the week before we arrived. If it happens to be out of order, there is no easy way to top up your spending money.

What to buy: We were only into snack items for our balcony perch at the Trends Beachfront Hotel, for when we just wanted to enjoy the breezes or were sitting around chatting with some of our fellow travellers. A container of dry-roasted peanuts, some water bottles, Belikin beers and bottles of red and white wines for our refrigerator. The typical costs for wine were US$13 for a 750 ml California Inglenook Classic Burgundy and US$22.50 for a Carlo Rossi 1.5 litre California White. These were fairly typical for costs throughout Belize, but any kind of wine was scarce and/or more expensive in some of the more distant places we later visited (Hopkins and San Ignacio).

• Beaches

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Sea-ing is Belizing: Books, Maps and Diving

by grandmaR Updated Dec 6, 2005

Harry Pariser indicates on his website that this is a dive shop. He says:
    Sea-ing is Belizing shop includes a gift shop, photo gallery, and a bookstore.

I do remember the photo gallery, but there doesn't seem to be anything of this nature in Caye Caulker now.

Currently there are two businesses that might be the descendents of the original bookstore. One, which is down on the south end of the island is

TROPICAL NATURE

* Bird/Nature Walks
    * Environmental slide presentations
    * Wildlife photography
    * Student Groups

Description: Step into the Tolkien-like world of the mangrove forest searching for the illusive Rufus-necked Wood-Rail and the endangered American Crocodile. Rest under the shade of the Gumbolimbo listening to the melodious songs of Black Catbirds, Bananaquits, and Mangrove Warblers. Taste wild fruits of Cocoplums, Seagrapes, or Xo-Coi. Arrange an interpretive Bird/Nature Walk with birder Dorothy Beveridge. Enrich your group's enjoyment of Caye Caulker's eco-systems by booking an hour long slide presentation: "Reef Ecology", "Birds of Caye Caulker", or "Mangrove World".

What to buy: We bought a map from here for $9US

• Beaches

• LotusV8's Profile Photo

Yasmin gift shop: Hammock

by LotusV8 Updated Dec 3, 2005

Yasmine gift shop

It shows some local crafts and the prices are resonable, it is small but it is enogh, you will find something.

What to buy: I cant think of anything than a Hammock :-) but ofcourse some seashells that I dont think is possible because of the customs, we are not allowed to bring corals and that stuff home

What to pay: It is up to you, and the quality you are asking for, we paid about 30 Us for a high quality Hammock

• LostBoyPN's Profile Photo

Friendship Mart: 7-Eleven?

by LostBoyPN Written Mar 1, 2005

Friendship mini-mart

This was the closest mini-mart to Trends, so it was convenient. They had all the typical stuff at good prices. I most picked up bottled water and Belikins.

What to buy: For everything you forgot to pack or ran out of. They also had an amazing Caribbean sunburn lotion that worked like magic.

What to pay: $2 BZ for water.

• LostBoyPN's Profile Photo

Various shops: Specialty shops and stands all over the island

by LostBoyPN Written Mar 1, 2005

There aren't many shops in town, but each one has nice local faire. If you want a bargain - and have cash - you're best bet is to buy from the street vendors. Coco Plum's gift shop was pricey, but had nice items. Miriany's was where I bought local souvenirs. The little shop next to the ice cream shop had unique stuff - artwork and jewelry - but was pricey.

What to buy: Mayan/Guatemalan handmade woven mats. The girl said they were for table covers or place mats, but I bought one and hung it up on my wall. I also got a slate carving, a coconut ring and a hemitite (lucky) bracelet. Cheap and fun. Typical souvenirs are also in abundance.

What to pay: Rings and bracelets cost from $4 BZ - $20+BZ. T-shirts are $30 BZ. I heard several vendors ask for $65BZ for the handmade weaves, but I got mine for $45 BZ. I probably over-paid for the slate carving ($65 BZ) at Coco Plum, but it had a toucan on it and seeing a live toucan was one of the highlights of my trip, so I got it.

• dovalyn's Profile Photo

too many to list: local shopping

by dovalyn Written Sep 23, 2003

knick knack shops

lots of local shops catering to tourist and local folk alike. We would shop where the local folks shopped, eat where the locals would eat.

What to buy: I bought magnets because that's what I like to shop for. T-shirts?? I have enough of those!!

What to pay: about $50.00 if you budget well

Instant Answers: Caye Caulker

Comments

Caye Caulker Shopping

Reviews and photos of Caye Caulker shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Caye Caulker sightseeing.