Walking, Caye Caulker

Know about this? Rate It!

Cemetery from the beach
    by grandmaR
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Along the Beach to Town

by grandmaR Updated Dec 9, 2005

Path going by lobster pots

Caye Caulker including the north mangrove end on the other side of the Split is only about 5 miles long. There are three streets. Front Street, Middle Street, and Back Street. I was so tired from walking through the sand from the airstrip to our cabin and it was so hot that I considered renting a golf cart. But golf carts were $10/hour and I thought that was unreasonable. So we walked.

Some websites will say that you should be barefoot. I tried that on our first walk up into town along Middle Street (because Front Street didn't go all the way down to where we were), and I wore all the skin off my heels. The sand is very abrasive, so unless your feet are really tough, wear sandals at least.

Most of the time, we walked along the shore along a path at least as far as the cemetery and which point we could take a short street up to Front Street or Middle Street. At night we would need a flashlight because there were obviously no street lights along the path. The second picture is a crab going into his hole that I took with a flash. Unfortunately, the photodevelopers wrote on the negative so the crab is obscured.

One of the websites says: "Perhaps the best way to get around the island like most locals do is by bike. Rentals are readily available by the hour, day or week at an average price cost of: US$ 2.50/hour or $10/day. Golf carts and large tricycles provide taxi service with the cost about US$4 per trip.

I don't think either of those were available when we were there. Or maybe I didn't think a bike would be that much better.

• Eco-Tourism
    • Beaches

• LostBoyPN's Profile Photo

Just walk, please

by LostBoyPN Written Feb 23, 2005
    No need for a ride, walk it

You can rent a golf cart or a bike... or take a "taxi" around. But the fact that there aren't that many golf carts or bikes nearly running you over makes the island that much better. So, unless you're physically unable, please just walk. The whole island is only a mile or two.

• dovalyn's Profile Photo

these feet were made for walking

by dovalyn Written Sep 26, 2003
    Airport to town or vice versa!

you can easily get from the Caye Caulker airport to town by walking. Should you need transportation from the airport, there is a friendly golf cart to take you into town or your hotel for approximately $5.00BZ. A great deal especially if you don't know where you're going.

• Hiking and Walking

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

walk

by cachaseiro Written May 15, 2003

nice street names

you can rent little golf carts in caye caulker, but the place is so small that it's kinda stupid to do.
    go by foot and you will get fit and save money.

• Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Caye Caulker

Comments

Other Transportation in Caye Caulker