San Ignacio Sports & Outdoors

Trees leaning over the river
    Approaching the rapids
    Shore from the river

Most Recent Sports & Outdoors in San Ignacio

• Trekki's Profile Photo

On horseback through the jungle

by Trekki Updated Apr 4, 2011

posing for pic - in this wonderful landscape

Horseback riding in the jungle - if you are in San Ignacio, and you don't do it - you definitely miss a kind of Indiana Jones feeling !

It is thrilling, finding your way through the fast growing trees and plants - even more, if you do it with experienced riders.

I was even more thrilled to see (now, in 2005), that Charlie and her Easy Rider is still operating !!
    To do this tour with her was absolutely rewarding, she knows so much, she cuts-off the way fro you, and she invites you to picknick on some of the rivers there.

Equipment: You don't need any specific thing to bring, she has all you need.
    Ok, get sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat - and better if you wear long trousers and something long sleeved.

The good thing is that, once you book this trip, you need to pin down your weight and height, and of course, experience, so she selects the best horse for you.

For me, being on a horse whenever I can, and thus having at least some experience, it can be a nightmare, if they give you slow horses or ones, that are used only to go slowly.
    Charlie had given me Mabel - and I was SATISFIED !
    It was (Dec 1998) 25 $ for half day and 40$ for full day (including meals)

Update, Dec 2009:
    I have exchanged the website and phone number. And Easy Rider have also a page on Facebook. Contact details are otherwise the same.
    Good to see that they are still in business :-)

• Horse Riding

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Tubing

by grandmaR Updated Nov 15, 2005

River (inner tube and my knee in the corner)

One of the possible activities at Clarissa Falls is tubing. If you have time, Jena will take you up to the ferry at Xunantunich, and you can float down to Clarissa Falls. But I didn't have that much time, so I rented a big tire inner tube and took my snorkel camera and floated down the river to a landing for the cable boat where I was picked up. It is a little bumpy going over the fall areas (which are tiny rivulets really - not big falls like Niagra or anything) and my butt sometimes would hit the rocks, but it was very gentle. Of course when I went, they were in the middle of a drought - it might have been more exciting if there was more water in the river. I fell out of the inner tube just before I got to the cable boat, but I retrieved the inner tube and waded to shore. Jena picked me up in her truck when she went and got the children from school.

I saw a kingfisher (I tried to get a picture, but it wasn't very good), a green heron wading on top of one of the falls, ducks, swallows, a big orange tufted bird, and a horseback rider. (You can also go horseback riding at Clarissa Falls)

Equipment: You rent the inner tubes for $BZ10 and arrange either for drop off or pick up.

• Water Sports
    • Farm Stay

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Canoeing Macal River

by Trekki Updated Aug 27, 2005

Canoeing on Macal River

San Ignacio's jungle has so much to offer for water sports lovers.
    Macal river maeanders through the area, and thus is perfect for any kind of canoeing trips.

I tried to find the ones, we have booked in 1997, but failed to remember the name (and it was not specifically mentioned in my travelbook...).

But as it's quite popular, you should not have a problem in finding a good one.

We have booked at Martha's, and our guide was called Colin the Crocodile.
    We had so much fun, as he had explained us the animals and the trees and all.
    Toucans were flying bananas - bats were flying mouse :-)

Equipment: For the trip we did, it was good to have bathing suits (as they let you have a bath in the river), good shoes, as they take you to a medicine trail and you need to hike for a while.
    Camera is a MUST, and sunsceen is not too bad.
    Long sleeves shirts, as depending on the season, mosquitos might like to suck your blood.

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Water Sports

Instant Answers: San Ignacio

Comments

San Ignacio Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of San Ignacio sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for San Ignacio sightseeing.