Tropical Wings Nature Center, San Ignacio

The Trek Stop 823-2265

Can you see the butterfly?
    Butterfly on a flower
  • Top of screened and landscaped 42'x60'x21’ butterf
    Top of screened and landscaped...
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Butterflies and Birds

by grandmaR Updated Nov 15, 2005

Butterfly on a flower

We have been to bigger and more inclusive types of butterfly places - in Costa Rica and in Key West. But this one does like the Belize zoo, and concentrates on Belize butterflies and plants. It made a nice place to go after we had our tire puncture fixed and visited Cahal Peche. Admission was BZ$10 each. It is open 9-5.

First we had lunch at the Trek Stop, and then we went through the museum, saw the required video tape about butterflies (all the butterfly places seem to have these) and then we went to look at the butterflies. Using a film camera it was difficult to be sure if I had gotten any of the pictures that I wanted, and the one picture I took of the blue morpho (which landed on my leg) was quite disappointingly out of focus.

Afterwards I walked around in the gardens and looked for birds. It was very hot and most of the birds were sensibly napping. I had a conversation with a man sitting on a porch about what bird books one used for Belize, and he said that if you had Costa Rica and Mexico, that would about cover it - he knew of no book specifically for Belize.

• Eco-Tourism
    • Zoo

• windsorgirl's Profile Photo

Tropical Wings Nature Center

by windsorgirl Updated Mar 22, 2005

blue morpho butterfly

If you love butterflies, then I recommend a visit to this butterfly house. It features many types of butterflies native to Belize. I spent at least an hour here, the cost is 5BZ.

There are also interactive exhibits here about the ecology, flora and fauna of Belize. You can walk along a nature trail, grab a bite to eat or spend the night at this eco friendly resort.

I recommend combining a visit here with a visit to the Mayan ruins of Xunantunich, which is located a short walk down the road. See the ruins first in the cool of the morning, then walk to the Nature Center where you can cool off and enjoy a drink or meal in the gardens before or after viewing the butterflies.

see more butterflies in my travelogue.

• Jungle and Rain Forest