San Ignacio Warnings and Dangers

• monicarc's Profile Photo

ROUGH River Mopan

by monicarc Written Mar 18, 2008
    Check out the current!

My sister and I went tubing on the river Mopan---it for the most part looks pretty safe---I think I had heard references that it was an easy float. NOT AT ALL--my sister is pretty athletic and she said she thought it was tough. I lost my float three times and had to dodge wacking my head (and certain serious injury--fyi, its my understanding there are no hospitals at all in Belize) on a huge tree.

• Adventure Travel

• monicarc's Profile Photo

Complex logistics to Tikal

by monicarc Written Mar 18, 2008

Warning, it looked VERY CONFUSING to try to arrange a trip from Belize to Tikal on your own---its pretty far from the Belizean border (2 hours) and was basically in the middle of no where. The border crossing looked a bit complex---and I have made several land crossings myself (Morocco/Argentina & Uruguay/ Brazil & Argentina) and this by far looked overly involved. Also, there are tons of incidents of tourists getting mugged on the way to Tikal from Belize.

• Archeology

• ShellyLe's Profile Photo

Betware the Ticks

by ShellyLe Written Apr 3, 2005

There are a lot of blood-sucking wood ticks in Belize. I found two on my head after a visit to Caracol ruins, so watch out if you're in the jungle. I woke up with one on my eyelid one morning - very unpleasant!

• Hiking and Walking

• paparush's Profile Photo

Power Outages

by paparush Written May 26, 2003

Not a very big deal...but...One afternoon/night in San Ignacio, the power went out for 5-6 hours.
    The town didn't miss a beat as they must be used to this. Their power comes from Mexico, who's grid isn't quite what you get in the US.

We had dinner at Martha's during the blackout. They cook w/ gas and everything on the menu was available.

Kinda dark wandering the streets w/ all the lights out. We didn't wander far.

Instant Answers: San Ignacio

Comments

San Ignacio Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of San Ignacio warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for San Ignacio sightseeing.