What to pack for Belize

Most Viewed What to Pack in Belize

• Dabs's Profile Photo

What to bring ashore

by Dabs Written Jan 22, 2012

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Depends on what activity you are planning on doing, for cave tubing we needed swim wear, a change of clothes for after the tubing, a towel to dry off and water shoes to walk from the parking area to the tube launch. You have to cross the river at one point so don't wear good shoes

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Sunscreen is essential for me in Caribbean ports

Bug spray/mosquito repellent is also highly advised for Belize, my husband is a mosquito magnet and he had 6 or 7 bites from the walk through the jungle and this was in a relatively dry season

Photo Equipment: I just bought a real waterproof camera, not the disposable kind, but a Panasonic Lumix. I was a little nervous the 1st time I put it underwater but it did fine on the whole trip. My camera didn't get wet on this trip because you are never underwater so you could also bring a regular camera with something to keep it dry

Miscellaneous: Every Caribbean port takes dollars in the shops, restaurants and for taxis, no need to change money. If you don't have exact change, you may get back some souvenir coins

• bren1125's Profile Photo

Batteries and Cigarettes are hard to find

by bren1125 Updated Sep 13, 2007

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Watershoes, large beach towel for the day trips.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Chapstick

Photo Equipment: Underwater camera for diving, snorkeling, cave tubing (need a flash for caves)
    Plenty of batteries for digitals and an extra memory card if you take photos like I do.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Small binoculars for the river trips to see the small wildlife.

Miscellaneous: American cigarettes are hard to find so buy them at duty free before arrival. Local brand Colonial (middle tar) cigarettes are really not bad and can be had for $1.50US and found everywhere. I also bought peanuts to share at Squirrels Nest.

• solarone's Profile Photo

Mosquito coast

by solarone Written Aug 12, 2006

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: You can buy repellant almost anywhere in the country but Belize was once called the Mosquito coast for a reason. Some of my friends have slept under netting but I never have. Malaria is a very limited problem now (Idon't even take med.'s while in Belize but I have for other areas of the world) Sand fleas are a problem in some areas also.

• Jungle and Rain Forest

• Pack for the tropics

by Aliseeya Written Dec 27, 2005

Luggage and bags: I would try to avoid bring a ton of luggage -- packing light is the way to go.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Make sure you bring plenty of SOCKS!

For walking around in the jungle I just wore shorts and tank tops, but several other people were more comfortable with lightweight pants.

Make sure to bring a pair of sturdy walking shoes, and another pair that can get all muddy and dirty. I also brought a pair of watershoes, which was great for kayaking, cave tubing, etc.

I packed ponchos (as it can rain at any moment in a rain forest), but we were blessed with wonderful weather and I never needed to use them! However, it's not a bad idea to toss a few in your backpack just in case.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Surprisingly enough..we didn't need mosquito repellant! My husband always gets bitten up on vacation, but neither of us had any problems in Belize. I never wore repellant, and I was fine. However, again, not a bad thing to bring...

Photo Equipment: In addition to my digital camera, I also brought a couple of disposable cameras (including some underwater ones). At times, it's safer to just use a disposable camera in order to avoid potentially ruining your nice camera (such as cave tubing, etc.).

Miscellaneous: Make you bring lots of cash...ATMS are hard to find, and many places do not accept credit cards.

• general tips

by Jennifay3 Written Nov 17, 2005

Luggage and bags: whatever you prefer. most people take a car or a bus to their location so you wont have to worry about lugging it around

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: LONG PANTS AND SHIRTS no matter the weather. you`ll need it if you go into the rainforest or want to lay on the beach. a bathing suit, sandals, sneakers. its a casual country so dont bring fancy clothes. we went in november and it was about 85 everyday. I reccomend bringing a wind breaker because it rains a lot ... it IS in a rainforest.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: bandaids, BUG SPRAY, sunscreen( becuase its near the equator, its brutal).

Photo Equipment: camera and film, the views and lanscapes are beautiful

Miscellaneous: i reccomend you bring an atm card or a lot of money only because we ran out of money but had to go a far away town to get money and it was still a hassle.

• AnnaLupilla's Profile Photo

What to Bring

by AnnaLupilla Written Sep 3, 2005

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Prescription drugs

Photo Equipment: camera and films, batteries

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Snorkeling gear, binoulars ... though most dive operators have diving and snorkeling gear to rent.

Miscellaneous: Passport, visa (if applicable), personal items, spare eyeglasses, sun screen, insect repellent, cash, traveller's checks, credit cards.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Sunscreen, Lightweight clothes, & Bathing Suits

by grandmaR Written Aug 5, 2005

Luggage and bags: We had everything in two carry-on bags each (we are not back-packing types). Bags with wheels don't work well in sand though. We also had a soft side cooler in one of the bags for use in the car - we could keep lunch and drinks there.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Light-weight long trousers (not jeans they are too heavy), & light weight shirts or T-shirts and hats. I found that if I went barefoot the harsh sand wore the skin off my feet even though I go barefoot a lot and have tough feet. I had two pair of athletic shoes and a pair of sandals that I'd gotten for Costa Rica (photo with out of focus butterfly). Several bathing suits

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Sunscreen!! Didn't find much need for bug repellent, esp. in the Cayo district, but bring it anyway.

Photo Equipment: Weather resistent camera, LOTS of film and batteries for the cameras. I use almost all 400 ASA film. I had a panoramic and a regular point and shoot, and a dive camera plus some snorkeling cameras. My husband also had 2 cameras. I think between us we took at least 20 rolls of film in 2 weeks.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: I took my dive console and wrenches, my mask (with diopters for reading watch or gauges underwater), dive light, snorkel and fins. We each had dive skins to wear when snorkeling to reduce sunburn. Bob had a canteen and I wore a Camelbak all the time so I would have water.

Miscellaneous: I bought the Fodor's Belize Costa Rica book and tore it in half and took the Belize half with me.

My foot at the butterfly farm
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• mcsmiles77's Profile Photo

Prepare to pay the price if U don't come prepared!

by mcsmiles77 Written Apr 8, 2005

Luggage and bags: plastic bags for wet clothing and swimwear

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: comfortable shoes to do a lot of walking around the island, if you have waterproof military boots if you plan on doing the cave tour on the mainland

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: sunscreen of course

Photo Equipment: underwater camera, since you will pay at least 40Bz on the island

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: bug spray, they tend to come out when the breeze is calm or towards the evening on the island.

• scieyence's Profile Photo

Travel light but be prepared

by scieyence Written Apr 3, 2005

Luggage and bags: light weight and easy to carry

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: light weight, light colors, hat, sunglasses, long sleeves, bathing suits, a towel, sandals and sneakers

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: sunscreen and insect repellent (with DEET), consider treating your dry clothes with Permethrin to repel mosquitoes

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: snorkel gear

Miscellaneous: day pack

• kyoub's Profile Photo

Be prepared for rain

by kyoub Written Feb 16, 2005

Luggage and bags: Traveling light is always a good idea when going by boat or small plane.
    Surprisingly though they didn't say anything about all the luggage that we had.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Casual clothing, shorts,t-shirts, and sandals.
    There is a sand everywhere and water puddles in the rainy season.
    Take along a waterprouf poncho just in case. You will be glad you did.

Photo Equipment: Take cameras and plenty of film and / or memory sticks. They sell film here but it is expensive.

Miscellaneous: There are a couple of well stocked grocery stores here so you can probably find what you need.

San Pedro

• Kacia's Profile Photo

Overall Suggestions for the Cayes

by Kacia Written Jan 15, 2005

Luggage and bags: If you're going kayaking or if you'll be out snorkeling/diving, put your things inside garbage bags and put the garbage bags in your luggage/backpack. You'll be happy to have dry clothes in the evenings after a few hours in the kayak.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Good sport sandals or watersocks to wear in the water. I have a wacky looking tan on my feet from wearing my sandals all the time, but I don't have any cuts on my feet. For the ladies, a sarong can serve many purposes - beach towel, clothing, light blanket at night.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Tons of sunscreen! It will wash off while you're kayaking, so keep reapplying, especially on arms, hands and face. Bug repellent is also helpful on islands where there are sand flies.

Photo Equipment: In addition to the garbage and ziploc bags, I also bought a waterproof bag for my digital camera (it's made by AquaPac).

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: If you've been camping before, you probably know this, but a flashlight or headlamp is good to have at night. I forgot mine and had to get escorts back to my tent a few times. It gets very dark on the islands because many of them are uninhabited and have no electricity.

• Kayaking
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• MeredithR's Profile Photo

Things to bring

by MeredithR Updated Dec 14, 2004

Luggage and bags: Try to fit all of your packing into one, carry on for ease and speed of travel. Pack an extra back pbring home to put the trinkets you buy there, or better yet ship them!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Bring mosquito repellent with the highest percentage of Deet as possible, as the mosquito nets are not sufficient and tend to block any breeze while trying to get some sleep in the heat. Bring at least one swimming suit, preferably two since it takes days for anything to dry. Don't bother with any kind of formal or fancy clothes, unless you are staying at a swanky resort with a dress code - no one dresses up! Bring a pair of sandals for the beach and hiking boots or something that will protect your feet from snakes and vegetation if you go walking.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: I always pack sample or trial size shampoos and soap, but all of these items are fairly inexpensive in Belize. Sunscreen was a little pricey, so you may want to bring it along.

Photo Equipment: Just don't forget your camera!!! You can always buy film and/or disposables, but they are expensive.

• School Holidays
    • Eco-Tourism

• epicult's Profile Photo

Trouble with Ticks

by epicult Written Oct 1, 2003

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Long (light coloured) pants and long sleeve shirts. Be sure to tuck your pants into your socks so the ticks cannot crawl in. Also a wide brimmed hat helps.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Bug Juice
    Be sure to bring copious amount of 95% deet if you plan on a jungle trek... the ticks are unreal. After applying this corrosive juice to your body, be sure NOT to touch anything plastic or it WILL melt. Probably not great for your skin either.

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Archeology

• tizerprawn's Profile Photo

Useful things

by tizerprawn Written Jul 1, 2003

Luggage and bags: pack soft bags if you are travelling by internal flights

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Hiking boots

Photo Equipment: Batteries
    Camera
    Film
    waterproof bag (for cameras

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: thick pair of socks of you are going hiking
    Long sleeved shirts for evenings
    Thick linen pants for trekking

Miscellaneous: Torch
    Deodrant & Anti persperant (it can get very sweaty)
    Sandals

• epicult's Profile Photo

Gifts for kids

by epicult Written Apr 28, 2003

Miscellaneous: I always like to bring items for children in my travels. Not expensive things, but things that are easy to pack and of true value to others:
    - Reading Materials
    - Pencils
    - Pens
    - Clothes
    - etc...

If unsure who you should give these to, try Chena @ Clarissa Falls Resort who has become a distributor to needy children in the schools in the district.

Road from Clarissa Falls

22 Reviews - 77 Photos
Belmopan Hotels
31 Reviews - 61 Photos

Instant Answers: Belize

Comments

Belize What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Belize what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Belize sightseeing.
Map of Belize