Cayes - Combined, Belize

• Cayes - Combined
    by abramsonthego
  • Snorkelling at Shark/Ray Alley, Ambergris Caye
    Snorkelling at Shark/Ray Alley,...
    by FireMike
  • My first landed bonefish on the fly, Caye Caulker
    My first landed bonefish on the fly,...
    by FireMike
  • kyoub's Profile Photo

See the Manatees

by kyoub Updated Apr 4, 2011

Manatee area sign

These curious mammals will come right up to the boat, where one can take pictures or simply view them. It is guaranteed that you will enjoy, learn and appreciate about the manatee on this trip.
    It was a cloudy morning when we went out to see the Manatees so visability was not great but we did see a couple.

• Eco-Tourism

• FireMike's Profile Photo

Pick a Caye and have fun

by FireMike Written Dec 27, 2006

View of Tobacco Caye from water taxi

I visited 3 cayes while in Belize.

Ambergris Caye where I got married and enjoyed more of the upper level of accommodations. Went scuba diving, snorkelling and fishing from here. Also did some sea kayaking from the resort. Lots of little shops for travelling memories and numerous other activities that can be organized.

Then Tobacco Caye which was the most secluded of the cayes I visited. One little island with about 20 buildings on it. Did lots of fly fishing from shore, snorkelling and plenty of lounging.

Then Caye Caulker, the laid back budget island. Probably my fav due to it's combination of price, things to do, and amenities. Lots of fly fishing from shore (caught my first bonefish), snorkelling and did the memorable scuba dive at the Blue Hole.

• Fishing

• EGitan's Profile Photo

Ride around the islands

by EGitan Written Mar 6, 2005

golf cart riding

The islands are small but exploring them by renting a golf cart can be a fun way to see the island in a short time. Cost is apx $25-30 a day but it is worth it. The bike tires don't hold up well on the roads.

• Golf

• EGitan's Profile Photo

Snorkle with the Sharks

by EGitan Written Mar 6, 2005

snorkling

It was a windy day and finding a boat to take us out to the reef was quite a challenge but we managed. Many companies specialize in diving and snorkling trips some of which take many hours or only a few. Due to the conditions and our lack of time we did a few hours snorkling and got to swim with some sharks and giant sting ray! All very harmless.
    It cost apx $40 a person including equipment rental.

Half Moon Caye and The Blue Hole

by Foundryman1 Written Jan 13, 2005

Half Moon Caye

I forgot I had black and white film in the camera that day,this picture doesn't do justise to the place. We stopped here for lunch during our trip to the blue hole.Ther is an excellent area to snorkel off the beach with lots of fish and coral to see.After lunch you can take an easy hike to the bird rookery and observation platform

• chrisvandenbroucke's Profile Photo

Watch out for the crabs

by chrisvandenbroucke Written Mar 9, 2004

Scary crabs

When we were returning late at night from the restaurant to our hotel, we passed some huge crabs which were scared of us.
    They stood on their back tails ans refused to let us pass.
    We had to leave the sandy path and crawl through the trees to avoid them.

They look scary, standing upright.

• MrGED's Profile Photo

Scuba anywhere on the...

by MrGED Written Feb 25, 2003

Scuba anywhere on the second largest living coral reef in the world.
    Visit the Mayan ruins at Lamani while the archeologists are working there.
    Fish for bonefish in the flats.
    Walk the streets of 'downtown' San Pedro
    The most beautiful country I've ever seen,period. Highly literate native population, fixed exchange rate with the US Dolloar, everyone speaks at least some English, reminds me of Cancun thirty years ago.

• kucha's Profile Photo

The fishing village of San...

by kucha Written Sep 7, 2002

The fishing village of San Pedro.
    Hard to miss, as it is the only inhabited area on the island. The town is clustered with wooden houses, some with Mexican decor, others Caribbean, and some still remain with the English colonial architecture.

• paulscuba's Profile Photo

Half Moon Caye

by paulscuba Written Aug 26, 2002

This is a National Park out past Lighthouse reef. There is one person at the park who collect the entrance fee. The beaches are clean, the water is a sparkling blue/green and there is a Red Footed booby colony you can observe. You can watch large land crabs wander around the island or watch the frigate birds pester the booby's to give up their catch. It was nice to just sit on the beach and stare out and the best part is practically no one is there. Ok the downside is it's 2 1/2 hours to get there by boat.

• Foundryman1's Profile Photo

Another picture of the lighthouse

by Foundryman1 Written Jan 15, 2005

Half moon caye lighthouse

I've always liked this picture so I decided to post it as well.I just looked at the pic again and it's sideways and the computer won't let me rotate it for some reason-My apologies. I'll fix it later

Another picture of Half Moon Caye

by Foundryman1 Written Jan 13, 2005

The beach at Half Moon Caye

You can camp here but it's very primitiveBring your own food and water-no services.The outhouses were...well...outhouses

• chrisvandenbroucke's Profile Photo

Swimming around mangrove trees

by chrisvandenbroucke Written Mar 9, 2004

Mangrove Tree

You can go swimming around and between large mangrove trees.

Beware of the strong currents, it's no place to go swimming with little children

Instant Answers: Belize