Norman Island Travel Guide

1996 drawing of anchorages at Norman
    Bob with a flashlight

Norman Island Things to Do

by grandmaR Updated Feb 8, 2015

Gwen gave Bob an underwater flashlight, and we got into the dinghy. Don took us around to the "Treasure Island Caves" and we went snorkeling. She gave him the flashlight so we could see in the caves which were dark. She said that people fed the fish so the fish would probably greet us She didn't believe in feeding the fish, so she didn't give us fish food.

This place is reputed to be the model for the epic “Treasure Island” by Robert Louis Stevenson. The island is now uninhabited, but today the Caves are one of the most popular tourist attractions in the islands.

To go to The Caves, get in the dinghy and follow the craggy shoreline to Treasure Point on the lower tip of The Bight. Round the point and tie up at the dinghy mooring.

Bob with a flashlight Fish following Bob looking down school of fish
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• twilk76's Profile Photo

by twilk76 Written Oct 20, 2006

The story goes that treasure was once found on Norman Island, also known as Treasure Island for obvious reasons. The caves can be explored while snorkeling.

One of the caves

• twilk76's Profile Photo

by twilk76 Written Oct 2, 2006

The William Thornton or Willy T is a permanently anchored boat that serves food and plenty of alcohol to boaters cruising the British Virgin Islands. Oh yeah, girls get a free t-shirt if they jump off the boat naked. I recommend the body shots.

Drinking

Norman Island Warnings and Dangers

• ChefSalt's Profile Photo

by ChefSalt Written Dec 23, 2002

Just last year my good freind and Roommate Died at the Willy "T" while freediving after drinking to much. He was going to propose to his girlfreind that day. While free diving to the botom to recover her sunken sunglasses he passed out and that was all it took.

Chris Adams Rest in Peace my Brother!

Norman Island Sports & Outdoors

by grandmaR Updated Feb 8, 2015

Gwen anchored in Benares Bay so that we would have an easy first dive for my first checkout dive. I didn't take any photos as I was busy demonstrating the skills that were required by the first Open Water Dive.

The first dive was at Benares Reef. The next dive on the following day was done in Soldier's Bay and I wrote in my diary that I saw lobster and spiny lobster

For someone more experienced, there is a good dive at Normans on Angelfish Reef off the western point. The depths are 10-90 feet and at the bottom of the sloping reef there is a large colony of angelfish. There is a lot of current from the channel here and Gwen didn't want me to have to deal with that, so we did not do this dive.

Equipment: Bring your own dive equipment - BCD, tanks, regulator, mask, snorkel and fins.

roof rock lobster from another dive
    • Diving and Snorkeling

by grandmaR Written Feb 8, 2015

The big anchorage at Norman (and also near the caves) is the Bight which is a large area well sheltered anchorage with no tricky entrance. This is often one of the first places that bareboaters go to anchor. There is apparently a floating restaurant here, but we didn't see it because we didn't anchor here. Gwen wanted a quieter place for us. So she went to an alternate anchorage in Benares Bay which is on the north coast.

Equipment: Your own boat, or a bareboat

1996 drawing of anchorages at Norman
    • Eco-Tourism

• Norman Island Hotels

0 Hotels in Norman Island

Instant Answers: Norman Island

Comments

Norman Island Travel Guide
Map of Norman Island