Tortola Shopping

Box and earring
    by grandmaR
    Another view of the fish necklace set
    Fish necklace set

Most Recent Shopping in Tortola

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

The Sea Urchin: Marina Shops at Soper' Hole

by grandmaR Written Feb 9, 2015

Looking back on the trip, I know I went to two stores and I think that they may have been these two

The Sea Urchin (495-4850) specializes in island and beach wear from sandals and sun dresses to island-print shirts and swimsuits as well as travel luggage and sun protection items like sunglasses, sunscreen and hats and boating needs such as deck shoes, snorkeling gear, disposable cameras, floating mattresses,

Samarkand Jewelers (495-4137) specializes in Caribbean gemstones from Santa Domingo (such as black coral), Tortola (such as jasper not normally in green) Dominica and other islands. A family business established in 1971, Samarkand Jewelers makes all its own jewelry. Real local shells are made into molds, the shell burnt out and the piece filled with gold and silver. Pendants of private boats are made by special order. Also, they have coins from the Atocha shipwreck of 1622 in Key West. Claire, the manager, is a delightful shopkeeper in the best British tradition.

What to buy: I bought place mats, an eye glasses holder (that is a thing to keep my glasses from being blown off my face), and a pelican set necklace etc $77.65

I got several necklace sets. Most of the photos are of a fish set. The fish was the top of the box. Inside the box was a necklace and stud earrings. The top of the box could be worn as a pendant, or it could be used as a pin and the earrings could be little tacks next to the pin.

What to pay: Depends on what you buy. I spent $77.65

Fish necklace set Another view of the fish necklace set Box and earring West Indian map map place mat
    • Cruise

• Pusser's: Not the finest West Indies Rum

by joondis Written Sep 19, 2010

Pussers are a set of restaurants some with stores owned by a company in North Carolina (not Caribbean). The one in Sopers Hole serves good burgers and reasonable pizza and the service though slow is friendly. The one in town serves the worst food on the island and has by far the worst service anywhere. The only other one we tried is East End where the burgers were really good and the service wasn't. This one doesn't have a store attached. I would say the most famous rum in the Caribbean is either Mount Gay or Cockspur which are lighter rums, Pussers is very dark and heavy.

This site seems full of adverts placed by the companies themselves.

• Beaches

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Sunny Caribbee Spice Co. Ltd: Buying Gifts

by grandmaR Updated Mar 31, 2006

On our first trip to the Virgin Islands, I bought some nice gifts on Tortola. I like to buy things that are made locally, or at least not in Taiwan (unless I'm in Taiwan).

I went into the Sunny Caribbee shop.

What to buy: The first room had various spices and other food type items -- spices, sweets, receipes, herbs, and the like, and also cosmetics and other such items.

In the second room were various types of art and craft items - at least made in the Caribbean if not in the BVI. I bought the picture to give to my son and daughter-in-law. (I didn't take a picture of it then - I took a picture the last time I visited them.) The artist lives and works on Antigua. I bought another one which I gave to my daughter which was made in Haiti, but I don't know where that one is now.

Some craft items include metal sculptures, pottery and ceramics, hand woven baskets, and wood carvings. There are also original paintings, art prints, pottery, West Indian maps, and jewelry.

What to pay: Some items are quite expensive and others are more reasonable.

inside of shop 1997 Gecko Magnet $11.00 Sailboat ornament $14.00 MAIN STREET, ROAD TOWN - DAVID CLOUGH print $35.00 1770 WEST INDIES MAP - J. M. GOWAN  $35.00
    • Cruise

Instant Answers: Tortola

Comments

Tortola Shopping

Reviews and photos of Tortola shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tortola sightseeing.