Virgin Gorda Sports & Outdoors

• catalysta's Profile Photo

Snorkel snorkel snorkel!

by catalysta Updated Dec 26, 2005

Littel Dix Bay West, where the coral lies

This island is a snorkeler's heaven, with lovely reefs close to shore and an abundance of sea life all around you. See Things To Do tips about Little Dix Bay & Savannah Bay for particulars.

Equipment: I bring my own snorkel mask & fins with me on island trips, so I won't have to hassle with renting them. For some great small lightweight snorkel fins, check out TUSA Reef Tourers, available from many different web sites if you Google them.
    I've actually decided to sell my dive fins and just carry these snorkel fins from now on, so I can do carry-ons for tropical trips with lots of airport interchanges. The mask you buy is more a personal issue; mine is a good quality dive mask I had fitted at a dive shop.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Beaches
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

The HMS Rhone is...

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Porthole

one of the best and most popular dived in the BVI. You can swim over the outline of the ship where she broke up. The HMS Rhone was a Royal Mail Steam Packet Ship which had both sail power and a steam driven propellor. In August of 1867 a storm blew up and the captain thought it was too late in the season for a hurricane, that it was just a nor'easter. She was sunk off the end of Salt Island as she was trying to stand out to sea. There were 146 people - crew and passengers - on board the Rhone, and out of that number 23 survived of which only one was a passenger! The islanders rescued the crew, and were given the island as a reward in perpetuity, to the residents and their heirs in return for one bag of salt a year rent (still paid today).

The wreck lies on a slope with the stern in water shallow enough for snorkelers, so while I was diving, Bob was snorkeling the shallow end. The propeller, which was only the second bronze propeller that was ever produced lies in about 20 feet of water.

The wreck is covered with coral and attracts many fish. The wreck is part of Rhone National Marine Park, which also encompasses Dead Chest Island. Both Salt and Dead Chest Islands are accessible only by chartered or private boat. There are moorings for dive boats.

This is another place where you should get up and get out early because otherwise you may not be able to get a mooring. We did our dive and snorkel before breakfast.

Equipment: We were on a sailboat which supplied the gear and had a certified instructor on board for diving. They supplied the tanks, BCDs, flippers, console and weights. I brought my own mask because I have diapters, and I also had my own snorkel and camera. We paid an additional $200 for the diving which was in addition to the charge for the week's charter. I did a one or two dives a day.

If you are land based, one possibility (which I have not used) is Sunchaser Scuba is at the Bitter End Resort

Prices range from $80 to $95 for a two-tank dive

• Sailing and Boating
    • Diving and Snorkeling

Instant Answers: Virgin Gorda

Comments

Virgin Gorda Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Virgin Gorda sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Virgin Gorda sightseeing.