Related Cayman Islands Favorites Tips

by call_me_rhia
    by flyer_e901

Most Viewed Favorites in Cayman Islands

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

Bargaining with tour operators and boat owners

by joiwatani Written Sep 30, 2011

Favorite thing: Cayman Islands are very touristsy. Make sure to only deal with people with identifications with them showing the Cayman Islands Port Authority ID card.

When we got out from our boat, there were so many people coming to us. One girl showed us her Port Authority card and told us that there was a boat going to the Stingray Farm and it only cost us $40.00 per person. I bargained for $35.00 per person and until now, I am not sure if that was a cheap price or not. And, I didn't care to know because the experience was so great! We ended up spending more time with the boat owner diving, swimming, snorkelling, etc.

For my whole family, I paid $155.00. The girl told us to follow a guy that will lead us to our van. When we headed to our van, some travellers also followed us. The van led us to our rented boat which was docked in another port in Georgetown.

Fondest memory: We passed by the airport of Cayman Islands and passed by some residential houses. The island houses reminded me of Hawaii because they have similarities on its flora and fauna.

Every street we passed has a circular loop. You have to loop around the circle to get to the other side of the street.

• Beaches

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

Seasickness

by joiwatani Updated Sep 30, 2011

Favorite thing: Before you head to the ocean on a boat and you know that you have motion sickness, make sure to to take Dramamine pills an hour before. Otherwise, you won't enjoy your trip to the stingray farm or to your destination.

I forgot to take the dramamine pills and I was so miserable the whole time. The boat was rocking and swaying like I was in a hammock because we were at the barrier where the waves are strong. I was advised by the tour guide to go down to the water right away and it will take my motion sickness away. After few minutes, I was feeling better.

Also, as a general tip, make sure to bring an underwater camera. There are so many great things to see here that you want to capture.

Boat rentals are available and you can bargain. Most of the boats are owned by individuals and they manned the boats themselves. There are usually three people manning the boat.

Don't forget to pack your swimsuit, sun protection extra plastic bags for your wet clothes, towel, etc. The snorkelling gears are usually free when you rent a boat.

Fondest memory: Despite my motion sickness, I enjoyed feeding the stingrays and knowing that my family enjoyed the trip. My daughter enjoyed diving and swimming and my daughter Sierra enjoyed the conch that we found. We brought the two conch shells at home and they are now clean and sitting pretty in our living room.

• Beaches

• flyer_e901's Profile Photo

Cayman Islands Post Office - Georgetown

by flyer_e901 Written Jul 1, 2009

Favorite thing: For all those stamp collectors out there, the main post office in Georgetown is located about 10 minutes by foot from the cruise ship terminal. Located at the corner of Edward Street & Cardinal Avenue, it's also a convenient place for anyone to send postcards.

• Cruise

• starship's Profile Photo

The Cayman Island Dollar

by starship Updated May 5, 2008

Favorite thing: Due to the success of off-shore banking and tax advantages, not to mention tourism, the Cayman Islands have a vigorous economy. It is probably one of the more wealthy islands in the Caribbean, and as such has a strong currency. The Cayman Island merchants, however, are glad to accept American dollars but you would do well to note that the Cayman Island dollar trades higher than the American dollar making purchases here more expensive generally. If you do use American dollars, it is probably that you will receive Cayman Island currency as change.

Because this is a duty-free island, there is some advantage however. Jewelery purchased here is a particularly good buy because of the ability to bargain and, it is duty free on the island. However, all purchases must still be claimed for custom purposes. Unless you have purchased many thousands of dollars of goods, probably no tax will be due.

Boat Trip

by jonkaren3 Written Feb 17, 2003

Favorite thing: I can't say enough about the beautiful water here. Nearly my entire video of Cayman is of the water. This is a shot on a glass bottom boat trip to stingray sandbar. Don't know the guy, hope he doesn't mind!

Stingray Trip

Driving on the Left

by jonkaren3 Written Feb 17, 2003

Favorite thing: I may have mentioned, driving on the left freaks me out. I leave all of the driving to Jon who is fearless. I just close my eyes and pray. The turn abouts are a real "treat". Most of the island traffic is very light thankfully.

The blessing of low traffic.

Neptials

by jonkaren3 Written Feb 17, 2003

Favorite thing: We missed the ceremony. I don't know if the woman posing for the photo was the actual bride, or just taking advantage of the back drop. Many choose to marry in Cayman for obvious reasons. I believe there are some hoops to jump through first. Luckily, I am already married!

Wedding set up in front of Gov. Res.

Water Wonderland

by jonkaren3 Updated Jan 30, 2003

Favorite thing: Get in the water! We snorkeled every day. Jon did two dives, and I did one. The colors of the sea take your breath away. It ranges from light teal to saphire blue. It is so clear, you can see 40ft. down, but visibility can be as much as 200ft. We saw thousands of species of marine life including a sea turtle and an octopus.

Bold Fish!

• diver-x's Profile Photo

Best diving & snorkeling. . .

by diver-x Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: It would be a shame to go to Grand Cayman and not scuba dive - or at least snorkel! The diving and snorkeling are among the best in the world! If you're a diver, definitely you have to go to Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto and swim through all the little chutes and tunnels in the coral. Stingray City is great, but it's not the best Grand Cayman has to offer. You can maybe do it as a snorkel instead of a dive since it's only 10-15 feet.

How many 7-mile beaches are there in the world? Well, one of them is here, but lazing on the beach all day with your eyes closed doesn't seem to me like a good use of time when you're traveling. I guess I'm just weird that way. But if a hotel-lined beach is your thing, 7-mile beach is the place.

We did find some more secluded beaches north of Georgetown, past the Turtle Farm. We followed the road along the shore as much as we could, and eventually ended up on a network of dirt roads. We saw an occasional fisherman or family picnic on the beach under the palms, but mostly it was empty. There were only a few yards of sand between the palms & the water, though.

Rum Point on the north side also has a decent beach with a restaurant/bar. Red Sail Sports has a location here to provide you with water-sport equipment and activities if you are willing to pay their prices.

Fondest memory: My first wall dive was with Divers Down out of Georgetown. The dive master took us to the most drop-dead spectacular spot on the north wall that started off with an arch and we glided down and along the wall. Seeing that amazing purple color of REALLY DEEP water for the first time just floored me! And all of the sea life and sponges and everything was just beautiful!

• MacKiwi's Profile Photo

Visit the Turtle Farm. The...

by MacKiwi Written Sep 12, 2002

Favorite thing: Visit the Turtle Farm. The farm is located on the west end of the island with thousands of sea turtles and is truly a unique experience. You can watch them swim in huge pools of sea water as well as study them close-up in every stage of their development, from small incubating eggs to full-grown, half-ton giants. The farm grows them for ecological and commercial purposes, and has reportedly done an exemplary job of repopulating the oceans with the endangered reptiles.

Fondest memory: Watching the turtles crawl on to the beach right outside our condo every morning. This was quite special.

• You have to go to Stingray...

by keolani Written Sep 12, 2002

Favorite thing: You have to go to Stingray City for a full day tour. You stop half way at a place called Coral Gardens. It actually is in the water but what you do is dive for conch. If it's big enough they keep them for lunch later. Yummy. The captain makes marinated conch and other stuff you enjoy on the beach. If your lucky you can see and actually ride a green sea turtle at coral gardens. I did. It pulled me in the water like a underwater bird. Just hold on the shell behind his head and away you go. You kinda get freaked out in the water at Stingray City at first but they never had an accident yet. They start coming around slow at first but when the captain and ya'll start feeding them pieces of fish they come from all directions. FUN FUN FUN

• jake22's Profile Photo

GO DIVING, VERY LITTLE WAS...

by jake22 Updated Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: GO DIVING, VERY LITTLE WAS SEEN OF GRAND CAYMAN, JUST A PASS THROUGH THE AIRPORT. LITTLE CAYMAN HAS A LOT OF PICTURESQUE VISTAS AND THE DIVING IS NEAR PERFECT.

Fondest memory: OUR FIRST DIVE WAS ON MIXING BOWL OR THE 3 FATHOM REEF, WE STAYED APPROXIMATELY 40 MINUTES AT APPROX. 80 FEET. THERE WERE 2 PET NASSAU GROUPER, (BEN AND JERRY). THEY LOVED BEING PETTED, ESPECIALLY BEING SCRATCHED UNDER THE CHIN. THERE WERE ALSO LOBSTER AND SWIM THROUGHS STARTING FROM HOLES IN THE VERTICAL WALL . VIDEOS WERE BEING SHOT BY THE STAFF VIDEOGRAPHER AND BY LEON DURING THIS DIVE. SOME PRETTY GOOD SHOTS WERE OBTAINED..

• DJ_Williams's Profile Photo

See 7 Mile Island, but go on a...

by DJ_Williams Written Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: See 7 Mile Island, but go on a public beach and take all the time you can. The water is absolutely gorgeous!

Fondest memory: Just seeing the water and the island itself. The beach is a very light beige color. The water is a light turquoise near shore and gets darker blue as it goes out further. Also, the pirate ship they have docked just outside of Georgetown is very interesting. Didn't get to go out in it, but I will next time I visit.

• John195123's Profile Photo

John195123's General Tip

by John195123 Written Sep 7, 2002

Fondest memory: On Grand Caymen, we rented a house with some friends of ours. One night, the girls from the other family decided they were gonna show us boys (my brother, the girls' younger brother, and me) how to dance. They demonstrated for us some dances to music from the Cranberries. It was neat.
    Later that night, we boys took turns locking eachother in the cot (bed) and running away, letting the prisoner get himself out. AH, fun!

• frqtflyr's Profile Photo

The Caymans have some fine beaches

by frqtflyr Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: The Caymans have some excellent
    beaches, the best-known is the ' Seven Mile Beach'
    (actually a little over 5 miles), with its long stretch
    of white powdery sand along West Bay.

The main drawbacks are that it's also the most popular and
    most developed beach on the island. There are other, less
    crowded areas along the northern coast of Grand Cayman,
    west of North Sound; at the southwestern end of Cayman Brac;
    and at Point of Sand at the eastern tip of Little Cayman.

Another Nice Beach
    • Cruise

Cayman Islands Hotels

• Turtle Nest Inn

On the beach at Bodden Town, 1 bedroom, living room, kitchen with rental car costs about 60% of a...

• Northern Lights Condos

553 Old Robin Road Queens Hwy, North Side, , Grand Cayman, Caribbean

Satisfaction: Excellent

Good for: Couples

• Brac Reef Beach

Just returned from Cayman Brac on 3/2/09. Debris and destruction from November 2008 hurricane at...

Top Cayman Islands Hotels

See nearby hotels
Cayman Brac Hotels
7 Reviews - 11 Photos

Instant Answers: Cayman Islands

Comments

Cayman Islands Favorites

Reviews and photos of Cayman Islands favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cayman Islands sightseeing.
Map of Cayman Islands