George Town Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in George Town

Jail House Cafe: Convenient for a Quick Bite

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Jul 2, 2007

Karen at the Jail House Cafe

The Jail House Cafe takes its name from the fact that it is in the old jail behind the old court house, which now houses the National Museum. The restaurant is conveniently located and we found it to be an excellent place to stop for a quick lunch while shopping and exploring the streets of downtown George Town.

The open-sided dining area consists of a few simple tables and chairs. You place your order at a counter from the menu is posted on the wall. Prices are a bit higher than in the United States, but reasonable by Grand Cayman Island standards. The Jail House Cafe is only open for breakfast and lunch.

Favorite Dish: We had a chicken sandwich, potato chips and soft drink which hit the spot for us.

Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville: Jimmy Buffett Fans Take Note

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Jul 3, 2007

Welcome to Margaritaville

Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville is another restaurant we didn't eat at on this trip. However, I have great memories of "chasing my lost shaker of salt," and consuming a "Cheeseburger in Paradise" at the original Margaritaville in Key West Florida. Never having been a person who liked the taste of alcohol, it was there that I forced myself to drink the margarita I've ever had - just because.

If you like Jimmy Buffet's music, as I do, you'll enjoy Margaritaville. If you have a taste for good food, whether or not you like Jimmy Buffet's music, you'll love Margaritaville.

Favorite Dish: There are many things on the menu, but to me it would be almost sacrilege to eat here and not have the famous "Cheeseburger in Paradise."

"I like mine with lettuce and tomato
    Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes
    Big kosher pickle and a cold draft beer
    Well good god almighty which way do i steer for my
    Cheeseburger in paradise...."
    --Jimmy Buffet

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Hard Rock Cafe: "Love All - Serve All"

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Jul 2, 2007

Hard Rock Cafe, George Town, Grand Cayman

We did not eat at the Hard Rock Cafe in George Town, but I have been to many other Hard Rocks in different parts of the world so I took a photo of this one. Hard Rock Cafes tend to be basically the same from place to place although the menu may vary slightly. The food is good, the decor is captivating, and the atmosphere is lively. My children - and younger people in general - seem to like Hard Rock better than I do. There have been times in a Hard Rock Cafe that I was glad that I'm hard of hearing.

Favorite Dish: Pig Sandwich: Hard Rock's most popular sandwich!
    Select pork, hickory smoked and hand-pulled so it's tender and juicy. "An old southern delicacy" with Hard Rock's famous vinegar-based bar-b-que sauce.

The Menu says: "IF YOU'VE BEEN TO THE HARD ROCK AND HAVEN'T HAD A "PIG SANDWICH," YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO THE HARD ROCK!"

I love the Pig Sandwich, but after eating one at the original Hard Rock in London, England I became deathly ill with food poisoning. I can't prove what caused it, and I'm sure most people don't have the same experience - but that was my last pig-out at Hard Rock.

Paradise Restaurant: Turtle Burgers

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Jul 26, 2007

Karen at Paradise Restaurant

On our first visit to George Town we saw Paradise Resturant sitting right on the waterfront and thought it would be an excellent spot for lunch. Before our meal was ended we regretted our choice and I would not eat there again.

One thing I did like about the restaurant is that it offers a splendid view of the waterfront and Eden Rock. While sitting at our table we were able to photograph crabs Clamoring about on the coral rock as waves gently lapped over it.

Otherwise, the food was mediocre at best, our service was unusually slow and inattentive and the price was very high for what we got. They charged much more than I would have expected for a small glass of watered down iced tea served in a flimsy plastic cup. Then to add insult to injury, they wanted to charge me full price again for a refill.

I didn't see any locals eating at Paradise Restaurant, and they definitely don't seem to be looking for repeat business. However, as long as cruise ships disgorge thousands of new tourists every day at their front door they can probably get away with it.

Favorite Dish: Turtle Burger was on the menu and since I had never had turtle before I decided to give it a try. It was just okay - something like a crab cake with a very soft texture on a white hamburger bun. This came with lettuce, tomato, pickle and mayonaise, accompanied by a tiny bit of cole slaw and a small styrofoam container of dirty rice. The dirty rice was decent. The burger was rather bland. For the price, I would never have a second one.

Instant Answers: George Town

Comments

George Town Restaurants

Reviews and photos of George Town restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for George Town sightseeing.