Grand Cayman Things to Do

The rocks that spawned a tourist trap
    by Dabs

Most Recent Things to Do in Grand Cayman

• IslandMama's Profile Photo

Reef Gliding in Grand Cayman

by IslandMama Written Apr 9, 2014
    Quality mother and son time

Took my son out on a reef glider earlier this week. Never seen these before so was a bit curious about what they were when our taxi driver told us about a different way to see the reef. Apparently it's a new activity on the island. We absolutely loved it - my son doesn't swim much because we're from the North so he was super excited when a stingray floated past and we started following it with our boat. So awesome and can't wait to do it again on our next trip to the island! I hear they have night time tours too - probably won't take my son on that, but my husband and I would love it.

• Water Sports

• firegal773's Profile Photo

Boatswains Turtle Farm

by firegal773 Written Oct 22, 2013

The turtle farm is a very neat place to visit. Watch the turtle feedings, touch the babies, and visit the egg hatchery. There are also birds, butterflies, sharks and even Smiley the Crocodile. A very neat educational experience.

• Eco-Tourism

• firegal773's Profile Photo

Dolphin Discovery

by firegal773 Written Oct 22, 2013

Newton playing with his ball

The dolphin experience was absolutely amazing! They have several different programs ranging from an encounter (playing ball, kisses, and dances) to a full swim. It can be costly but as long as you plan ahead and know what to expect, you will be all good. Always check out the website for their "deals" tab to snag some awesome discounts (I was able to snag a Buy 1 get 1 discount for our Royal Swim...Saving us a whopping %169!). Also keep in mind that there are photo opportunities. At the time of our most recent trip (Dec 2012), each photo was $25 or you could get the photo disc package for $100 (which includes all of the photos you choose to keep out of the entire photo session). Admission to the Turtle farm across the street is free for all participants as well

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

7 Miles Beach

by call_me_rhia Written Oct 19, 2013

Seven Miles Beach, a few minutes bus ride west of the city and you are in beach heaven... miles and miles of powdery sands, clear pristine water and public access all over, despite the fact that there are posh hotels all along the shore. What you find on the beach are beach bars, though, which are good for quick meals and drinks. In some specific areas it is also possible to snorkel very near the shore, but we didn't try that - we just relaxex and swam.

Lounge chair and sun umbrellas are available for rent, and if you are interested you can try out many different activities, including parasailing. The day we were there, fortunately, no one was really interested - so we enjoyed this heavently beach in relative quiet. As a family with a small kid we chose to go to the Public Beach since there is also a children's playground there... recommened!

Parrots of the Caribbean Duck Tour

by DEBBBEDB Written Aug 13, 2013
    Inside of the Duck with life jackets

My grandmother and I did the Duck Tour. We had the land tour first, and we saw some of the little green iguanas, but none of the blue ones. It was kind of bumpy and hard to take photos.

Then they inflated some side bumper things and we went into the water. They had an underwater camera and then went over a shipwreck. They gave us round soda crackers to throw to the fish.

Pirates of the Caymans

by DEBBBEDB Written Aug 13, 2013
    Ship firing cannons

My daughter took a photo of this pirate ship while we were at Grand Cayman. The ship named the Jolly Roger is a two-thirds replica of Christopher Columbus' 17th century Galleon Nina. Their other ship is the Anne Bonny. They call their tours "Pirates of the Caymans" and they do a a two hour coastal tour where you can watch our crew reenact pirate trials, sword fights, wage attacks on in-port cruise ships and other swashbuckling antics and also help raise the sails. There is also a snorkeling stop. They also do a dinner or an appetizer sunset cruise.

PIRATE ADVENTURE CRUISES

Complimentary Unlimited Rum and Fruit Punch, sodas and water

Go to Hell

by DEBBBEDB Updated Aug 13, 2013
    My son the devil

This is a very easy thing to do on Grand Cayman. You can see it on a tour or you can take a taxi. The actual location has clusters of short black limestone. There are two platforms you can stand on to look over the space and take photos.

I don't have many photos of it, but this one shows my son as the devil. Hell is rated as #8 thing to do on Grand Cayman by US News.

• Beaches
    • Women's Travel

Sting Ray City

by DEBBBEDB Updated Aug 13, 2013
    Daughter kissing a ray

Sting Ray CIty is one of the things one MUST do in Grand Cayman. When there are cruise ships in port (and there may be seven of them there at the same time), the sand bar where the rays hang out to be fed can be very crowded. Since we were not on a ship but were staying on the island, our experience was MUCH better. There are several different companies that take you out to the sand bar. The phone number is for SunRay Tours and the URL is for a different company.

Since there were eight of us, we chartered a whole boat for our group. You may want to go on one of the larger boats. But you can pick

• Beaches

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Visitng Hell

by grandmaR Updated Jul 7, 2013
    Welcome to Hell

On the excursion where we swam with the stingrays, we also went to Hell, which had a post office and gift shop. I would have liked to get one of the T-shirts that said "My grandparents Really LOVE me because they brought me back this T-shirt from Hell". But my back hurt me and Bob was still on the bus so I didn't get it. (fifth photo)

The sign in the second photo says
    Dress Code: Casual Smart, Shoes Required
    Must be 18 & Over
    No outside food or beverages beyond this point
    No illegal Drugs allowed on premises
    No bums or beggers
    Have a nice time in Hell
    - The Management

I understand that the outstanding geological formation in the area are a group of short, black, limestone formations but I didn't see them

Hell is located on lands owned by the Cayman Islands Government, as well as on an adjoining area, which is privately owned and offers a similar experience.

Opening Hours: The site is accessible at all times. Admission is free. There are 3 gift shops on the property as well as public restrooms. Gift shops and restrooms are open daily from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Cruise Ship Duck Excursion

by grandmaR Written Jul 7, 2013
    Fish we fed

This particular tour calls themselves "Parrots of the Caribbean"

My granddaughter pushed me over to where the Duck was. The Duck people put me on first and I sat in the back, and they put the wheelchair and a walker that someone else had in the back

Then they inflated some side bumper things and we went into the water. They had an underwater camera and then went over a shipwreck but it was hard for me to see the TV screens. We went to a place and they gave us round soda crackers to throw to the fish.

This company also offers charters starting at $1050.00US for 2 hours. We can customize a tour for your group anywhere from George Town, Bodden Town, West Bay and surrounding areas

• Disabilities

• imnotjoe's Profile Photo

Swimming with stingrays at Stingray City

by imnotjoe Updated Mar 7, 2013

Kissing a huge stingray at Stingray City

This was an excursion I did about 3 weeks ago, after a wedding of a friend in the Cayman Islands. I first didn't feel like going out in a boat and all what involves. But then, as I knew a friend who I like was going I jumped in. Now I can say that if I wouldn't have gone I would have been an id...t if you know what I mean.
    We arrived to the deck about 10am of the Sunday after the day of the wedding; we were all part of the same group so that was a plus. The staff in of the charter boat was very (very) pleasant to deal with, they were really nice with us and I made myself friend with Mauro (the captain) with whom I shared many interests.
    Once out there, everything was fun beauty and magic: The Coral Garden snorkeling was incredible, there are so many colorful fishes below the water surface. And the water is so pristine blue!! Incredible!!
    Then we went to the sandbar to meet the stingrays (which are wild by the way) and we came in contact with them, we fed them, held them, caressed them and kissed them. I must say their texture is somewhat spine-chilling but very nice to touch.
    We had a great afternoon in the water and then we made another stops (starfish and rum point) on the way back. The sunset was amazing that day and we didn't want to return to the shore because we were having such a great time... sniff!!
    Well, all-around it was a very worthy and enriching experience; I could easily recommend it to anyone!!

• Water Sports

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Cayman Turtle Farm - VERY cool for kids and adults

by TravellerMel Updated Nov 30, 2012

Psycho Turtle - before

Came here as part of our shore excursion - it's a whole adventure park, and from the website it looks very cool. We went in to see the turtles in the breeding pond. You can see turtles of various sizes swimming in the ponds, but we all went over to the yearling pool where, as you can see from the pics, we got to hold sea turtles! This was a very unique experience for two city girls, and we really enjoyed it, even though we got the psycho-turtle who wanted back in the water badly! When they start slapping you with their flippers/fins, let's just say - YOU FEEL IT! Lisa's arm was red for a little while... I would definitely go back and spend more time if given the opportunity!

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Go to Hell!

by TravellerMel Updated Nov 30, 2012

Welcome to Hell!

Hell, Grand Cayman is a group of ugly, short, black, limestone formations in the northwest Grand Cayman town of West Bay. People are not allowed in amongst the limestone formations, but there are two viewing platforms for tourists to access and photograph them. Look for the little (painted) devils hanging out in the formations, as well as the bright red hibiscus flowers, if you go during the right time.

There are numerous versions of how Hell received its name, but they are generally variations on "a local official (or royal, or noted person) exclaimed, 'This is what Hell must look like.'"

However it first came to be called Hell, the name stuck and the area has become a tourist attraction, featuring a red Hell-themed post office from which you can send "postcards from hell", and a gift shop with 'Satan' passing out souvenirs.

Hell can be quite busy as it is a stop for cruise ship tours, and is basically the limestone formations, a gift shop, and a post office. That's it! But a funny place to visit once, and THE place from which to send postcards! C'mon - who wouldn't want to say "I've been to Hell and back - and I have the postmark to prove it!"

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Seaman’s Memorial Statue

by cjg1 Updated Apr 20, 2012

While exploring Georgetown we came upon the Seaman's Memorial Statue. The statue was errected in 2003 and represents the love that the people of the Caymans have with the water. The statue memorializes those individuals from the Caymans who have lost their lives at sea; which as of our visit was 450 people.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

7 Mile beach

by Dabs Updated Jan 21, 2012

Sea Grape beach, 7 Mile Beach

After going to Hell and back, we had them drop us off at 7 mile beach and we ended up with many of the other Princess passengers at Calico Jack's at Sea Grape Beach. Lounge chairs were $8 to rent, we would have if we had planned to spend the whole day there but as we were only going to be there for an hour or so, we spread out on the beach. When we were ready to go back to the ship, there were taxi vans waiting for $5 per person.

We had originally thought that we would walk the length of the beach to get back to the cruise ship, 5.5 miles long rather than the 7 miles the name implies. But it was blisteringly hot and we had eaten up most of the day already so we went for a short round trip stroll on the beach we were on. Most of the beach was sand but there were a few rocky spots.

7 Mile Beach is on the west side of the island along West Bay, just north of George Town. It's the most popular beach on the island due to it's proximity to the cruise ship docks and the length of it. The whole beach is public and there are spots along the beach to get a drink, have a snack, snorkel or just soak up the rays.

Instant Answers: Grand Cayman

Comments

Grand Cayman Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Grand Cayman things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Grand Cayman sightseeing.