Grand Cayman Transportation

Approaching tender
    by grandmaR
    Tender heading back to the ship
    by grandmaR
    Ship entrance from the tender

Best Rated Transportation in Grand Cayman

• Rental Cars

by kennyken76 Written Sep 12, 2005

We knew that our hotel was in walking distance of the local grocery store but we didn't know that there was construction on West Bay Road blocking sections of the sidewalk. It was difficult at times to cross the street unless the cars stopped to allow us to cross. There are no traffic lights on this side of Seven Mile Beach so you can imagine how congested the road can be after everyone seems to get off work at the same time. We went ahead and rented a mid-size vehicle (Suzuki Llana) from Andy's (near the airport.) Unlike other rental agencies, they do not include our pickup from your hotel as a charge. The rate was $108 for three days. They only charge for 24 hours so remember that when you rent from them.

• Women's Travel
    • Singles

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

taxi to 7 miles beach

by call_me_rhia Written Oct 19, 2013

If you are on a cruise and don't want to take an organized excursion to sit on a beach at exorbitant prices, once you get off the harbour you'll find people offering taxis to 7 miles beach: these taxis are minivans that will take you there for 10 dollars return per person - and kids not occupying a seat travel free. They are good value for money. Local buses also exist and they are even cheaper. Minivans will travel to and from continuously, so you may return to the ship at any time you like.

• Rent a Car!

by rickpam Written Apr 27, 2005

A rental car is a must, especially if you're staying on the east end of the island as we did. It's pricy (like everything else), but well worth it. We were there for a week, and had the opportunity to drive just about everywhere on the island. Doesn't take too long to get used to the left-hand side of the road. The roads outside of George Town are still pretty torn up from Hurricane Ivan, so go easy. There are speed limit signs, but no sign that anybody really paid any attention to them - I wound up getting passed a lot, and it seemed prudent to slow down, pull over to the left and let them pass. We got a little car, a Toyota Vitz, which served us well. Love to be able to find one here. Great gas mileage.

Vitz
    • Diving and Snorkeling
    • Beaches

• LysDor's Profile Photo

Fly Cayman Airways...

by LysDor Written Sep 6, 2002

It's the National Flag Carrier of the Cayman Islands.
    It takes only 70 minutes from Miami with a B737-200 aircraft!
    A plus: if the weather is clear you profit from superbe turquoise sea and islands panoramas.

Did you know?
    The turtle has played a significant role in the history and development of the Cayman Islands. The logo - Sir Turtle - honors that contribution.

• Switzerland - Gd Cayman

by Ottoa Written Mar 6, 2007

As the USA are sooo.... unfriendly with tourists, I suggest to go from Switzerland to Cuba and from Cuba to Gd Cayman with Cayman Airways... (direct flight from Basel to Habana and from Habana to Gd Cayman) !!!

• Fasulye's Profile Photo

$150 5-day Cruise

by Fasulye Updated Jan 21, 2008

During the end of the hurricane season in the USA, Carnival Cruise Lines apparently has some trouble filling their ships. During the month of November, we were able to get a 5-day cruise to Costa Maya and Cozumel (Mexico) for $150 per person (inner stateroom) or $170 for a room with a window. You can't live in your car, eat at McDonalds, and watch a rented DVD for $30 per day! With this deal you get your stateroom, all fancy meals and/or Lido Deck (24-7), live entertainment every night, port fees, and travel to Mexico's Caribbean ports-- all for only $150!!!

This is an internet deal that is not always available, so you need to be ready to go when these deals come around. This deal does not apply to all ships either... we took the Carnival "Holiday" cruise ship from Mobile Alabama on this 5-day trip. The Holiday is one of Carnival's older and smaller ships. It is less popular than some of the giant ships that leave from Port Canaveral, but it has recently been refurbished and is very nice. Having only 1,500 passengers on board instead of 2,000-3,000 makes things nicer as well.

I guess Carnival hopes that you'll buy photos, drink liquor, and gamble while on board and that will be the source of their profit, because they are clearly losing money on this deal. I don't drink, I don't gamble, and I don't buy a bunch of stuff on board, so basically the other passengers that do these things are actually subsidizing my trip (and yours too-- but for my sake in the future, please buy lots of pictures, drink until you drop, and gamble the night away so I can continue to get these great deals).

More info: http://www.carnival.com/Ship_Detail.aspx?shipCode=HO

• lar-n-me's Profile Photo

Well, taxi's get you further...

by lar-n-me Updated Apr 18, 2004

Well, taxi's get you further faster. But it's always fun being dropped off in a foreign place and exploring on foot!

I would recommend a taxi if you've only got a short time (ie arriving/departing via cruise ship), otherwise, you'll wear yourself out trying to see everything.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

License Plates

by grandmaR Written Jul 7, 2013

I noted many different colored license pates, so I asked the driver (I was sitting in the front seat next to him). He said the yellow were private vehicles, the red were buses, the orange were commercial, the blue were business vehicles, and white were rental cars

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Cruise Ship Tenders

by grandmaR Updated Sep 21, 2013

There is no dock for cruise ships in Georgetown, so it is what is known as a tender port. There are two kinds of tenders. One is the ship lifeboats which double as a tender. They are often claustrophobic and they bounce around on the water quite a bit.

Disney does not use their lifeboats as tenders - they use only the boats that Grand Cayman has. These are the kind of boats that you can walk around on. They also have a place where wheelchairs can be strapped in.

One thing to be aware of - if you are there when there are several other ships in port -- BE CAREFUL to get the tender that goes back to the ship you are cruising on.

Also be sure to look and see when the last tender leaves shore - otherwise you might be up a creek without a paddle.

Approaching tender Tender heading back to the ship Ship entrance from the tender One of the tenders coming in as we are going out Ramp /stairs to get off the tender
    • Disabilities

• Limousine Service I used

by cindyfwills Written Dec 1, 2006

I used a fabulous limousine service as part of our wedding. The owner is George Smith and the service is Cayman Executive Limousine (www.caymanlimo.com). It was affordable, elegant and we had a blast!

• Luxury Travel

Instant Answers: Grand Cayman

Comments

Grand Cayman Transportation

Reviews and photos of Grand Cayman transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Grand Cayman sightseeing.