Related Costa Rica Favorites Tips

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

tips for travel

by blueskyjohn Written Jun 5, 2012

Favorite thing: Hi,
    Typically in September you will get the late afternoon thunder shower. The coast tends to be cloudier this time of year while the highlands are generally clearer (opposite during the high season).

Day trips from a central location is difficult. If you are in Arenal, it is a 3-4 drive to the coast. There is nothing you can really consider a multi-lane highway. As the crow flies the distance does not seem much but the delay is in being behind the multitude of tractor trailor trucks/ deliver trucks going through the mountainous areas. Very few passing lanes.

For fishing of course its best to be on the pacific coast. With two weeks you may consider splitting your time between two locations. One week in the Arenal area and one week on the coast. Less driving and you can relax. The are some great some communities on the pacific coast and the Nicoya Pennisula. Tamarindo is good or my favorite, Samara.

A long day trip from San Jose is Manuel Antonio nationals park. Easy to get to with some well marked hiking trails and plenty of wildlife if you like white-faced monkeys. Closer to Manuel Antonio is Jaco. Great for fishing but can be a bit seedy. Not too family friendly at night.

With the two year old, a good supply of child friendly insect reppelant would be a good idea. Do not relay on trying to find something in Costa Rica.

Hope this helps and if I think of something else I'll post. Have a great time!

• Jungle and Rain Forest

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Touring around Costa Rica with Amerikaventure

by Jefie Written Mar 25, 2012

Favorite thing: There are several ecotours offered in Costa Rica, and shopping for the right one can be a bit of an overwhelming experience. I think going with Amerikaventure turned out to be a good decision, especially thanks to our wonderful guide Eric Braipson. Eric was born in Africa, grew up in Belgium, and moved to Costa Rica in 1997. He speaks French, English and Spanish, and he has been leading groups around the country since 2001. During the 9 days we spent with him, he always made sure to do everything he could to make our trip as pleasant and memorable as possible, and it truly wouldn't have been the same without him.

Before we left for Costa Rica, we received a detailed itinerary and information package from Amerikaventure. The entire trip went without a hitch, from the time they picked us up at the airport to the time they dropped us off - all the hotels we stayed at were top notch, the minivan we used to get around was very comfortable and our driver was excellent, and the size of the group (14 in total) was perfect. My main criticism is that the information posted on their website had led me to believe the tour would be slightly more challenging physically, but as it turns out most activities were rather tame (though still enjoyable); so in general it felt more like a typical organized trip than a backpacking adventure. Also, most of the optional activities mentioned were not available and the itinerary had been slightly modified. That being said, I still think going on this tour turned out to be a good way of discovering the country and getting my bearings for my next visit to Costa Rica!

For more information on this ecotour company, you can visit their website at www.amerikaventure.com.

Eric guiding us through a cloud forest
    • Luxury Travel

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Always keep your eyes open on the road!

by Jefie Updated Mar 25, 2012

Favorite thing: One of the reasons why I was glad I didn't have to drive on this trip was because I could spend the entire time we were on the road taking in the scenery while trying to spot exotic birds and animals. While you might think that you're only chance of seeing Costa Rica's rich wildlife is to visit a national park, in reality many species can be observed near small towns and villages all over the country. Howler monkeys were especially easy to see (and hear!), and we also pulled over on a few occasions to take pictures of coatis, toucans, parakeets and several other bird species.

Howler monkey spotted on the Pan-American Highway Coati spotted near the town of San Ramon Toucans spotted near the town of Bijagua Beautiful scenery on our way to the Arenal Volcano Another howler monkey, this time on Road 142
    • Birdwatching

• gcmm's Profile Photo

Costa rica vs Belize

by gcmm Written Jan 27, 2010

Favorite thing: I have never been to Belize. Had planned a trip there but was not able to go.
    Have been to Costa Rica twice and would go back again in a heart beat.
    Yes there are sections that are not the best places, heck look around the united states.....
    The east coast is not as nice as the west coast . As for being expensive maybe things have gone up but it was fairly inexpensive when we went.
    Both places have a lot to see and do.

If you are very adventures Costa mica i think offers more..

Fondest memory: Way to many to say, but i think swimming in the water fall was great, and well SKY TREK was absolutely awsome

• Adventure Travel

• melosh's Profile Photo

Learning travel Spanish in Costa Rica

by melosh Written Nov 30, 2009

Favorite thing: The first question you must ask yourself is how much time, energy and money are you willing to spend. How serious are you? Are you serious enough to start before your arrival learning phrases and certain fundamentals like what each letter sounds like? Are you really going to dedicate almost all your time while attending a school studying, practicing and doing "homework" to get the most out of your time and money?

A goal of learning "travel Spanish" seems reasonable. Even in a relatively brief period of time (2 weeks?) you could learn fluency for general/usual travel situations, but I would expect even with this limited goal the standard program of most language schools would prove inadequate:

For one, their introductory courses tend to be of low intensity. You would probably discover that both your fellow students and the instructors are shall we say, 'less than driven', and their goals may not match your own. (Some just want to have fun. Some want to just try to start to learn the language. Others want to polish what they know, and others like yourself may have a "travel Spanish" motive, but they may not be willing to work hard at it.)

For another, class size is important. I would say that if the class has more than five students, the intensity of your individual experience with the instructor will be excessively diluted. Personally, I feel that number of hours in class is less important than the quality of the time spent both in class and outside class.

If you are really serious, the more time and money that you are willing to dedicate to the process, the more satisfied you are likely to be with the result. Unfortunately it is hard to determine over the internet how much help a specific school will be and whether a larger school with higher fees would be better than a cheaper or smaller school. There in lies the dilemma. Do you commit to a specific school for the duration of your study or do you make a minimal commitment with a plan to extend it or move on to someplace else depending on your initial satisfaction? This would be an argument for going to a larger town with multiple schools.

In the wrong school and the wrong town there is a danger that you will find yourself speaking English with your fellow students and people of the community rather than struggling with Spanish. This even happens with home stays because often they will have more than one visitor. (The town mentioned by an earlier poster, Turrialba, sounds good to me because I feel that larger cities are less useful for someone trying to learn a language.)

• Study Abroad

• risse73's Profile Photo

Atlantic vs. Pacific side of CR

by risse73 Written Aug 12, 2009

Favorite thing: I've only been to some parts of the Atlantic/Caribbean side, but never been to the Pacific side. I wish I can explore more of CR next time. The Atlantic/Caribbean side seems to have a more off-the-beaten path appeal. I've only heard that the Pacific side is relatively more dry & more sunny all year round, so it attracts more tourists. It also depends on what you're going to do there. The Pacific seems to have better diving spots. Read more on the two areas and determine your preferred activities before choosing your CR destination.

Good Luck & Enjoy Beautiful Costa Rica!

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Beaches

• Don't come here for the food

by eracki Written Jul 22, 2009

Favorite thing: Costa Rica was awesome, but if you are foodie, leave your foodie traits back home, and be prepared to eat because you need nourishment, that's it.

To bo honest, the food is not all that bad, but when you've had Dominican, Cuban, Puerto Rican, Colombian, Argentinian, etc...you would be dissapointed with CR's food. While all these different countries have similar ingridients and have a lot of the same dishers (rice, bean, and meat) they all taste awesome and different. In Costa Rica there is nothing special about it. It leaves a lot to be desired.

If you want to eat "typical" food, eat at Sodas and not the regular restaurants. Here you will get the best value and eat where the locals eat (well the ones that can't afford to eat at the fancy intertantional cousine restaurants). I have typical in quotes, because they sall tons of non typical dishers like enchiladas, tacos, hamburgers, hotdogs, ceviche, etc...none of these are typical CR food.

The one dish that is fairly typical is Gallo Pinto, which is a mixture of rice, beans, and cilantro all cooked together. However, while the taste varies, it's not all that great and they love their rice really aldente, almost too undercooked.

• GusAlvarez's Profile Photo

Be careful when going to the beaches

by GusAlvarez Written Mar 16, 2009

Favorite thing: Hello,

When I was travelling to Costa Rica, I felt really safe, because it is always said that it's extremely secure. The truth is that security on the beaches is really bad...

I was robbed, the windows of my car was broken and they took my baggage from the trunk... People from Costa Rica told me that it was very common to have these incidents.

Be very careful when going to the beaches in Costa Rica. I lost my bagagge and lost of money.

Post Office in Dominical

by monica71 Written Mar 12, 2009

Favorite thing: It seems to me that no matter what place you go to in CR (except the big towns, of course), you will always face the challenge of finding the post office. Dominical has a very small post office (I am not sure you can have something smaller than this!) and you need to keep your eyes open when trying to find it. The best way is to go to San Clemente Bar and Grill and look for a tiny window in front of the restaurant entrance.

Post Office in Dominical

• monica71's Profile Photo

If you drive on your own

by monica71 Updated Feb 26, 2009

Favorite thing: As I mentioned before, the roads in Costa Rica are good, bad and very bad. You also need to keep in mind that the highways are not illuminated, therefore it is a good idea to travel during daylight. Start your day early and make sure you are back at the place you will spend the night at no later than 6pm. We drove during the night hours, but we were close to San Jose and there were lots of cars leading the way, but I was still a little bit nervous until we reached our hotel.
    Also, make sure you use a private parking lot if possible, when parking the car over night.

If you drive a lot and go to less touristy places (as we did during our second trip to CR), make sure you rent a GPS too. The roads are not very well marked in remote areas and the GPS will be your best friend. We were really glad he had one!

Check out the GPS when you get the car delivered to make sure it has the latest software uploaded. We did not have a problem with ours, but we met some people that could never get theirs to work. So when renting a GPS, do not leave the premises of the car rental place until you make sure it can find the places you want to go to!

our new best friend in CR!

• Jaco Costa Rica

by usohjack Written Sep 30, 2008

Favorite thing: I would take them to Jaco Beach AKA Playa Jaco. It has everything from the surfer hostels, to the 5 star Marriott Los Suenos resort. Something for everyone, I have been there 4 times this year. I found much information about Jaco on anonline directory. www.ohiost.net then Jaco directory.

Fondest memory: Meeting friendly Tico's (Locals) and people from all over the world.

• Fishing
    • Surfing
    • Beaches

• Itinerary

by cmerlin Updated Jul 12, 2008

Favorite thing: Many thank for your comment, I am aware of the driving time!!! actually there is a very good site to help you with the travel time here is the link in case you want to go back and enjoy pura vida again!! http://www.yourtravelmap.com/costarica/travelmap/index.php.
    I know I may have to scrap Coyotte if the roads are not very bad, in that case we may spend some time in Mal Pais instead.
    Kind Regards
    Carine

Post Office in La Fortuna

by monica71 Written May 11, 2008

Favorite thing: If you want to send a postcard from La Fortuna and you need to buy stamps, you need to go to the Post Office. This is the only place in town that sells stamps.
    If you are like us, you will most likely expect to easily see the Post Office building, but this is not the case in La Fortuna/Arenal. The Post Office in La Fortuna is a tiny building located just by the town church. You need to keep your eyes open and look for it pretty hard in order to notice it. We passed the building 3 times before we noticed it :)
    I have added a picture here, so you know what to look for when in town.

La Fortuna/Arenal Post Office Sign in front of the Post Office building

Insects

by monica71 Written May 5, 2008

Favorite thing: Costa Rica has a countless number of butterflies, moths, ants, bees and other tropical insects. Nobody knows the real number of beetles and grasshoppers there.
    The most brilliantly painted insects are the butterflies. They vary in sizes from small ones to huge ones, as big as the palm of your hand. While in Arenal, I had the pleasure to see some very bright colored butterflies fly freely. I also had the unpleasant surprise to find myself being "attacked" while drinking a cup of orange juice on the hotel patio, by a huge grasshopper that caught me by surprise and landed on the top of my head. I was scarred since I did not know what creature landed on my head, but I started to laugh pretty hard as soon as I saw it jumping from my head to the window of my room. I went inside the room, grabbed my camera and took a picture of it.

The grasshopper that scared me to death! And this grasshopper seemed HUGE to me! Flowers and Butterflies

Volcanoes

by monica71 Written May 5, 2008

Favorite thing: Costa Rica lies at the heart of the most active regions on earth. It is the home of 7 active volcanoes (out of the 42 active ones in the whole world) and another 60 dormant ones.
    If you are one of the many curious tourists (like me!) that wants to peek inside the bowels of a rumbling volcano, you have no better option than Poas Volcano, where you can get close to its rim and gape down into the well-like vent, see lava bubbling and fumes of sulfur rising in the air.

The type of magma that fuels most of the volcanoes in Central America is thick, viscous and filled with gases that the erupting magma often blasts in the air. I read that if it erupts in great quantity, it may leave a void within the volcano's interior, into which the top of the mountain crumbles to form a caldera.

Poas Volcano Arenal Volcano

4 Reviews - 12 Photos
Sámara Hotels
64 Reviews - 192 Photos

Instant Answers: Costa Rica

Comments

Costa Rica Favorites

Reviews and photos of Costa Rica favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Costa Rica sightseeing.
Map of Costa Rica