What to pack for Costa Rica

A steamy lens not cleared
    by steve28
    alka-seltzer
    by Tom_In_Madison
    Beetle
    by kyoub

Most Viewed What to Pack in Costa Rica

by ivachon Written Aug 25, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: - During the wet season don't forget your rain coat and your umbrella.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: - You can find mostly everything that you need in Costa Rica (around the same price than in Canada)

Photo Equipment: Costa Rica is THE place to take great pictures: animals, birds and butterflies are easy to see and plants, flowers, threes and forest are very beautiful!!!

- For digital camera: it may be sometimes difficult to transfer your photos by Internet: the connections are often slows and the rates are sometimes expansives. Most computers don't have a USB port, so it is better to have a floppy disk adapter.

- Don't worry: you can bring your expansive camera. It isn't very dangerous.

- If you prefer to use single use camera, it's better to buy it in your country. One without flash cost 10 US$

• somewhere's Profile Photo

by somewhere Written Aug 25, 2002

Luggage and bags: I recommend the backpack. There's nothing more practical than the backpack. Bring a daypack too, for those hikes in the rainforest. If you're going during the rainy season, make sure your daypack is water resistant.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Bring sandals and a sturdy pair of shoes. I went during the rain season so a raincoat was essential 'cause when it rains, IT RAINS and pours. I appreciated having 2 pairs of pants because the trails get *really* muddy and you kinda sink in (my idea of a great time!!!!). You also want to bring shorts, the zip-off pants are really practical. Costa Rica is very mountainous, so you want to have a sweater when you're going to places like Poas Volcano. It can also be chilly around 6am, but then be so hot at noon!!!!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Moleskin, gravol (anti-vomit) if you get carsick since they drive fast in windy and bumpy roads. Anti-histamine!!!! many bugs bite during the night and you'll never know it until you wake up with an eye swollen shut the next morning.

• buschec's Profile Photo

by buschec Written Aug 25, 2002

Luggage and bags: If you can pack light and get away with only a carry-on bag you will save yourself a lot of time between customs and the baggage pick-up. We were one of the first to board our plane, which gave us great seats but the bags were also the first to be loaded, also meaning they were the last to be unloaded (at least an hour). And when you arrive do not delay, head straight for customs. The lines get long very fast.

• Kyra_Cruz's Profile Photo

by Kyra_Cruz Written Aug 25, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Clothing: wear clothing that can be removed or added in layers. Bring the following: a lined, water-resistant wind breaker, rain poncho, heavy cotton trousers, cottong t-shirts, shirts or blouses (1 long sleeved), roomy shorts, bathing suit, comfortable walking shoes/sandals, extra socks, wide-brimmed, light-weight hat. Do not bring expensive jewelry or unnecessary electronic gadgets.

Other stuff: flashlight w/D batteries, small pocket knife, insect repellent, number 15 waterproof sunscreen, day pack, beach towel, umbrella.

• jasmin_b's Profile Photo

by jasmin_b Written Aug 24, 2002

Luggage and bags: Best to take is light bags that you can take by bus without problems!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Light close - don't forget it is a tropical humid climate. Take a sweater for the nights and a long but light trousers (against the moscitos)

You always need something against the rain!!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Something against moscitos

Photo Equipment: take a good camera - it's werth it!!!!

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Take good shoes (that can get wet as well!!)

Miscellaneous: Take enough films and batteries!!!!!!!!!
    It is very expensive to buy films and batteries there!

by giobiker Written Aug 24, 2002

Luggage and bags: Backpacks are a plus, great for short trips during your stay and easy to carry while hiking or horseback riding.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Bring clothes that dry easily, the forest is so damp that cotton takes days to dry. Nonslippery shoes are the best for hiking. Don't forget a light rain coat or wind breaker, you never know when it will start raining.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Lots of band-aids and bug spray. We spent about $100 on medical supplies before we left and still ended up in the hospital.

by vacano Updated Aug 24, 2002

Luggage and bags: Since I had a permanent location to base myself from, I was lucky enough to be able to pack my largest suitcase and bring along my large backpack.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: We went back and forth between San Jose, and the beaches, which are two very different climates. San Jose in July and August is mostly pant and shirt weather, we rarely wore shorts. Somedays we needed a light jacket as well. However, when you are on the beaches it doesn't matter what time of year it is, you will be very very hot! If you plan to so a little hiking through the parts, you definity don't want to wear flip flops. I had some great Nike sandals that were like wearing tennis shoes, but open so my feet didn't sweat to death. It rained a lot more often in San Jose than I thought it would, be prepared for that. On the other hand, it never rained on us while we were at the beach.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: I tend to over pack sometimes, but I always had the usual band aids and ointment with me, we used them a couple of times. There are tons of new hotels popping up everywhere and I don't know if they are like the ones in the states, but I assume that even with those you will still need your own shower toiletries. We usually stayed in the cheap cabinas. Sometimes we had our own bathroom, and sometimes we had to share. What ever you bring, make it protable.

Photo Equipment: I would say that as of when I was there, most of the beach towns are small, and don't have anything fancy. I really didn't see a lot of film and rarely saw batteries. But like I've said, things are changing rapidly and who knows, there are probably tons of little shops just for the tourists now.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: We never camped, a lot of places it is illegal be sure to check it out. The beach, at many of the beaches you can rent nice chairs and umbrellas from a vendor. It is usually a reasonable fee and for the whole day. At a ton of places in San Jose, and a few out at the beaches you can buy those straw mats that roll up and take up little room. They'd be cheaper to buy at an open market in San Jose if you get the chance. We also just used regular towels sometimes. With traveling by bus where ever we went, between three of us, we used two large packs. There was little room on the buses, so the packs had to go underneath, so be sure to watch when the buses stop so you can make sure no one decides to take your pack home with them.

Miscellaneous: I was glad that I had brought along an insane amount of film. My other favorite item was my shout gel, we went out a lot, and with as much rain as we got, we always came home with extremely muddy jeans from dragging on the ground, or splashing in a puddle. We used a lot of stain stick stuff!

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Electrical Plugs

by GracesTrips Updated Jun 26, 2014

Miscellaneous: Good to know the electrical outlets in Costa Rica are the same as the United States. 3 prong not as prevalent as 2 prong. No need for converters if you are coming from the USA! Whoo hoo!

• worldtraveler55's Profile Photo

&S2 1st Edition september 2002

• National/State Park

• Matt_Gendas's Profile Photo

by Matt_Gendas Updated Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: It's ok if your forget your dog... because there are plenty of dogs for everyone. This little guy became our guide dog... he showed us all of the hot spots in Jaco. I already miss him : (

• chuckyc's Profile Photo

by chuckyc Written Aug 25, 2002

Photo Equipment: Bring film unless you don't mind paying a lot(I paid $16 for a roll of aps film to get pictures of Arenal on a clear day)

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Sunblock

94 Reviews - 166 Photos
Birrí Hotels
7 Reviews - 20 Photos

Instant Answers: Costa Rica

Comments

Costa Rica What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Costa Rica what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Costa Rica sightseeing.
Map of Costa Rica