Fortuna Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Fortuna

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Just Good Food: The name says it all!

by blueskyjohn Updated Jul 23, 2013

This is a nice little find. Small and tucked away on the main street into La Fortuna. We were a large group some things seemed tight but still plenty of room. The owner is an ex-pat from the US. Very personable and really strives to serve the best food he can. The wait staff were great. Unique, especially in CR, the waiter took our order with an I-pad! I haven't even seen that in the states yet. They serve traditional local food as well as some very good pizza.

I started with an order of guacamole and chips. Decided on just a hamburger but it was cooked perfectly to order and very tasty. The owner told us about his great brownies so I tried one for dessert with vanilla ice cream. Brownie was heated. Nice finish!

Favorite Dish: All good but I liked the guacamole and the hamburger equally.

• Adventure Travel

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

La Pata de Chancho: Fast, inexpensive and good!

by blueskyjohn Updated Jul 23, 2013

This is an open air cafe restaurant. The wait staff were very attentive. I was very surprised on how fast my food came. Very inexpensive. I had the chicken casado tipico which comes with a fresh fruit drink. The drink was Guayaba and was very good. I added an order of fresh chips and guacamole which was the highlight. Everything was good though and you couldn't beat the price.

Favorite Dish: Fresh guacamole and chips.

• Adventure Travel

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Las Palmas: Nice atmosphere with great food!

January 2013

This restaurant in located in Los Lagos resort. It is higher class than what you would find in La Fortuna. They offer a buffet breakfast that is incredible. Amazing fresh fruit, eggs, pastries, all great.

Dinner is very good. Food is perfectly prepared. Portions are a bit smaller and more expensive than an average meal in La Fortuna. Still one of my favorite restaurants in La Fortuna.

Update January 2013 - Returned for a two day stay and had dinner here again. Food is still excellent. I had the rib eye steak, which was cooked perfectly, with avocado salsa, stuffed potato and plantain. Very good meal!

• Eco-Tourism

Luigi's Pizza: Terrible service and average food

by blueskyjohn Updated Jul 23, 2013

We ate here by chance but actually, if you pull over the side of the road an older waite staff woman practically pulls you inside. The food was just ok. But all our orders were screwed up. It almost felt like they served us what ever they felt like. Tried to up sell a lot of extra and actually bought stuff out we didn't order and tried to make us pay for it. When I went up to pay they threw my nearly full bottle of soda out. When I complain, they actually went into the garbage can and fished my soda back out instead of giving me a new one!

Stay away!

• Eco-Tourism

Rancho Club Rio Restaurant & Bar: If I could talk with the animals

by BLewJay Updated Apr 22, 2013

It was our last day in Fortuna and since we had purchased the 2-day pass from The Springs Resort and Spa, we wanted to definitely see the Wildlife Preserve for rescued animals (Cat Tour). We got to the main reception area and then waited for the shuttle to take us down to the Club Rio Outdoor Center (located 1.5 kilometers below the resort along the Arenal River). By the time we arrived at the center, the last tour for the morning had already left, so we had to wait for the next one which was at 1:00. With that, we walked over to the Rancho Club Rio Restaurant & Bar, ordered food and something to drink. Great scenery and wonderful service. Highly recommend that you visit.

Favorite Dish: Since we were hungry, we ordered Chicken Empanadas, Rum and Coke and a Bushwalker...so delicious and so good!!!

• Photography

Ginger Sushi: Yum, Yum Sushi

by BLewJay Updated Apr 12, 2013

After a very busy but exciting day of fun, we decided to head back to The Springs Resort & Spa and utilize our The Hot Springs Two Day Pass. After spending a couple hours in the mineral hot springs, we decided to get something to eat. Asked for recommendations and was told that we should try the food upstairs at Ginger Sushi. Great choice as the sushi was very fresh, very tasty and of course the service was very good.

Favorite Dish: LJ ordered the Arenal Roll (spicy tuna, mango and cucumber covered with tuna) while I had the Monkey Roll (filled with fried soft shell crab, lettuce and cucumber covered with masago and sesame seeds and served with Mentiako Sauce). Simply amazing and a delight from beginning to end...could have ordered the entire menu!!!

• Beer Tasting

Soda Las Flores: Great food and inexpensive

by BLewJay Updated Apr 10, 2013

After a long day of riding zip lines, we needed a quick bite to eat (nothing too heavy or expensive). So we drove towards Fortuna and happened to come across Soda Las Flores., looked inviting and of course is locally run so we stopped in. Prompt and friendly service and the place smelled so good so we ordered. Using our Spanish, we carried on a conversation with the cook as well as the owner...very friendly people. The food presentation as well as the amount of food we got was amazing...I think the total bill was $16/USD and that included a couple beers.

Favorite Dish: As with most Sodas, the menu is pretty basic. LJ ordered Beef Nachos and I ordered Steak Casado...ummm, ummm good!!!

• Beer Tasting

Las Ventanas: Room with a view

by BLewJay Updated Apr 5, 2013

This trip to Costa Rica was the culmination of my surprise 50th birthday. Part of that surprise was dinner at fabulous Las Ventanas (The Windows), located at The Springs Resort and Spa, with a view of Volcán Arenal. This is truly a first class facility and they really make you feel welcomed and part of the family. Our reservations were at night, so didn't get to see the volcano but the experience we had there (service, food, recommendations, etc.) make us want to return as soon as possible.

Favorite Dish: As soon as we were seated, we ordered our drinks...the Laughing Toucan for LJ and the Bushwalker for myself. Next up, dinner. We started off with the Wild Mushroom Bruschetta Appetizer (Caramelized Leeks, Pancetta, Rosemary and a Sherry Cream Sauce served on Crostini). For dinner, LJ had the Blackened Mahi Mahi Entrée (with a Jalapeño Beurre Blanc sauce and served with Pearl Potatoes and Sautéed Vegetables) while I had the Bleu Cheese Ribeye Entrée (Certified Angus Choice Rib Eye with a Bleu Cheese Compound Butter served with Potato Au Gratin, Green Beans and Oregano Oil). To end the evening, we selected the Caramelized Apple Dessert (a very delicate combination with a Confit Sweet Potato Quenelle, Basil Sorbet, Cream of Flan and Mixed Candied Nuts) and Caffè Corretto.

• Spa and Resort

• LadyXoc's Profile Photo

Just Good Food: New local 'Soda'

by LadyXoc Written Dec 13, 2011

Just Good Food. Another inexpensive place to eat. Featuring the local dish, Casado, of course. I had a decent meal for $3 American. It included rice, beans, choice of meat or veggie for vegetarians, some plantain, salad, and either tea or juice. I got my money's worth. And there was a talking/singing deer! Ha. Also some locals were playing guitars. I did have better food at another Soda but this was good. And there were other things on the menu.
    I notice that the flyer I have says free delivery.

Favorite Dish: I had the chicken Casado

• Snipernurse's Profile Photo

Eat where the locals eat

by Snipernurse Updated Jun 24, 2008

You may notice the large divide of resteraunts where locals eat and touristy resteraunts. Tourist resteraunts will charge you 10$ a plate, while the Soda's (more local places) will cost you 3-4$ and have just as good of food. Try to find the hole in the wall and enjoy. Your best bet is to eat at "Soda's" instead of resteraunts as they can get pricey. These sodas offer a lot of very interesting drinks for you to try, and always expect for your silverware to come inside a little plastic package, I guess this is their way of saying the utensils are clean

• Pieter11's Profile Photo

???: Junkfood in a food factory

by Pieter11 Written May 8, 2008

Directly opposite the busstop in La Fortuna you find one of the cheapest places to have dinner in town. I don't remember the name of this place, but it is easily recognisible because it is big and it has bright yellow lights all over the front of the restaurant.

The food you can get here is cheap and pretty simple. From hamburgers and french fries to a typical rice and beans place and a huge tortilla. For a tortilla that is big enough to serve as a decent dinner you pay about 4 dollars and a plate of fries is another 1 dollar.

In the morning this place is also opened as soon as the first busses start driving. Then it is very useful to buy yourself a quick breakfast and a hot coffee.

You don't have to pay to the waiters but at the -secured- counter in the front of the restaurant. This is maybe a good indication of how the service-level is here; pretty poor. The waiters to what they have to do, but it is clearly visible when your questions are not appreciated... :(

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Arenal Volcano Inn: Nice view a good food

by easterntrekker Written Apr 4, 2007

WE stayed three nights and really enjoyed our dinner here each evening . They have a pizza oven and the pizzas are very good . We also had a great peppercorn steak which we enjoyed.

The only drawback is the staff weren't the most friendly and didn't know anything about wine ..Just referred to it as red or white.

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors
    • Singles

• Jase1177's Profile Photo

Soda La Parada: Cheap & Acceptable

by Jase1177 Updated Oct 2, 2005

This seemed to be a very popular spot with both locals and tourists. It is a small open-air establishment offering a variety of local and not-so-local items. It may look a little dingy but nothing displeasing, unless you are quite a priss. Just find an empty table and seat yourself. After you eat, go to the little booth at the front entrance and tell the person (it was a young woman) what you had and pay there. You can even buy small snacks, gum, or cigarettes from the booth.

Prices are quite inexpensive for good portions of acceptable food. I had a personal pizza with ham & cheese (yeah, I know - how local & original) and a banana batida. The pizza was decent - nothing to rave about. The batida was a good alternative to the usual ice tea or water.

If you want something good enough and inexpensive, this is definitely a fair choice, especially for the budget conscious.

• Jase1177's Profile Photo

Don Rufino: Great Breakfasts!

by Jase1177 Written Oct 2, 2005

This was good place to stop in and grab some breakfast (the lunch/dinner menus looked good too). It has a nicer setting with rich wooden tables and bar seating inside and along the sidewalk outside. Staff and other patrons were very pleasant.

Favorite Dish: I had the Desayno Tipico that included huevos, natilla, rice & beans, fresh tortilla, block of griled cheese, and beverage. This was a really great breakfast for under $5!

Huevos: I had the scrambled eggs (huevos revueltos), which were quite tasty. They had a hint of onion in them, but not actual onion. It may have been the grill that was used. I loved them.

Natilla: sour cream, but much different than that in the US. I actually like this version of sour cream. It was richer and butter-like in consistency.

Rice & beans: good, on par with everything else.

Tortilla: quite fresh & delicious

Fried Cheese: this a small block of goats cheese that was fried on the grill/griddle. Not fried cheese like in the US with breading and deep fried. This quite a unique treat and addition.

Cafe Con Leche: Among the best I had while in CR!

• twoinluv's Profile Photo

Small cafe in La Fortuna: Enjoy the fresh fruit

by twoinluv Written Apr 30, 2005

Tasty fresh fruit

There are a number of open-air cafes in La Fortuna. We especially enjoyed the fresh fruit (never got sick unlike fresh fruit in Mexico which should be avoided) and we also enjoyed the sailor's rice every restaurant offered. Sailor's rice is rice with a mixture of the day's fresh catch of fish. Add a little tobasco and it is awesome. Oh and did I mention cheap, $5-$7 per person at almost every cafe.

Instant Answers: Fortuna

Comments

Fortuna Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Fortuna restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fortuna sightseeing.