Fortuna Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Fortuna

• SumTingWong's Profile Photo

Lava Rocks: Good fruit drinks, and good food too

by SumTingWong Written May 18, 2003

Lava Rocks is a good restaurant locaed in La Fortuna, right under the Arenal Volcano. The food is Costa Rican / Western and is quite good. They also have great fruit shakes (like in Thailand). However, if you don't spaek Spanish you won't have a big problem, but most of the workers at Lava Rocks don't speak english, so here are some useful phrases:

Chicken: Pollo
    Pineapple: Piña
    Apple: Manzana
    Orange: Naranja
    Ice: Hielo
    Cheak please: La cuenta por favor
    You're welcome: Con Gusto

Fortuna

• Jase1177's Profile Photo

Don Rufino: Great Breakfasts!

by Jase1177 Written Oct 2, 2005

This was good place to stop in and grab some breakfast (the lunch/dinner menus looked good too). It has a nicer setting with rich wooden tables and bar seating inside and along the sidewalk outside. Staff and other patrons were very pleasant.

Favorite Dish: I had the Desayno Tipico that included huevos, natilla, rice & beans, fresh tortilla, block of griled cheese, and beverage. This was a really great breakfast for under $5!

Huevos: I had the scrambled eggs (huevos revueltos), which were quite tasty. They had a hint of onion in them, but not actual onion. It may have been the grill that was used. I loved them.

Natilla: sour cream, but much different than that in the US. I actually like this version of sour cream. It was richer and butter-like in consistency.

Rice & beans: good, on par with everything else.

Tortilla: quite fresh & delicious

Fried Cheese: this a small block of goats cheese that was fried on the grill/griddle. Not fried cheese like in the US with breading and deep fried. This quite a unique treat and addition.

Cafe Con Leche: Among the best I had while in CR!

• BEETLE_VERTE's Profile Photo

El Rio: Soda!

by BEETLE_VERTE Written Feb 7, 2005

Soda are little snack-bar like restaurants in Costa Rica. You'll find them everywhere, usually small with a few tables and stools at the counter. They'll serve tipical comidas, or typical meals, usually full plates combining rice, beans, salads, plantain and meat or fish, for a very good price, well under 10$ for two peoples including drinks of freshly squeeze fruits. This one in La Fortuna, openned on two side with view on the city and the Rio Burio, served the best Casados in town!

You have to try it at least once, for the experience, but hopefully as often as you can for your health, enjoyment of the country and budget!

Favorite Dish: Fruit juices are fresh and sweet.
    Casados are huge and tasteful and come with a weird little rice and milk desert (some like, some don't). In fact, the plate was so big, I had to switch to just rice (arroz) and meat (con meat en salsa is the best one I think).

Casado

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Las Palmas: Nice atmosphere with great food!

by blueskyjohn Updated Jan 25, 2015

This restaurant in located in Los Lagos resort. It is higher class than what you would find in La Fortuna. They offer a buffet breakfast that is incredible. Amazing fresh fruit, eggs, pastries, all great.

Dinner is very good. Food is perfectly prepared. Portions are a bit smaller and more expensive than an average meal in La Fortuna. Still one of my favorite restaurants in La Fortuna.

Update January 2013 - Returned for a two day stay and had dinner here again. Food is still excellent. I had the rib eye steak, which was cooked perfectly, with avocado salsa, stuffed potato and plantain. Very good meal!

January 2013 March 2012 March 2012 March 2012
    • Eco-Tourism

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Just Good Food: The name says it all!

by blueskyjohn Updated Jan 25, 2015

Update January 2015: Unfortunately, Just Good Food had a fire on February 17, 2013 and was completely destroyed. This was only one month after I was there. To date the restaurant has not come back. Too bad.

This is a nice little find. Small and tucked away on the main street into La Fortuna. We were a large group some things seemed tight but still plenty of room. The owner is an ex-pat from the US. Very personable and really strives to serve the best food he can. The wait staff were great. Unique, especially in CR, the waiter took our order with an I-pad! I haven't even seen that in the states yet. They serve traditional local food as well as some very good pizza.

I started with an order of guacamole and chips. Decided on just a hamburger but it was cooked perfectly to order and very tasty. The owner told us about his great brownies so I tried one for dessert with vanilla ice cream. Brownie was heated. Nice finish!

Favorite Dish: All good but I liked the guacamole and the hamburger equally.

There were more chips but I started eating them
    • Adventure Travel

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Arenal Volcano Inn: Nice view a good food

by easterntrekker Written Apr 4, 2007

WE stayed three nights and really enjoyed our dinner here each evening . They have a pizza oven and the pizzas are very good . We also had a great peppercorn steak which we enjoyed.

The only drawback is the staff weren't the most friendly and didn't know anything about wine ..Just referred to it as red or white.

• Singles
    • Women's Travel
    • Seniors

• twoinluv's Profile Photo

Small cafe in La Fortuna: Enjoy the fresh fruit

by twoinluv Written Apr 30, 2005

There are a number of open-air cafes in La Fortuna. We especially enjoyed the fresh fruit (never got sick unlike fresh fruit in Mexico which should be avoided) and we also enjoyed the sailor's rice every restaurant offered. Sailor's rice is rice with a mixture of the day's fresh catch of fish. Add a little tobasco and it is awesome. Oh and did I mention cheap, $5-$7 per person at almost every cafe.

Tasty fresh fruit

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

La Pata de Chancho: Fast, inexpensive and good!

by blueskyjohn Updated Jan 25, 2015

Update Jaunary 2015: Unfortunately, this place has closed. I was really looking forward to their Guacamole. The new establishment is called Nanko.

This is an open air cafe restaurant. The wait staff were very attentive. I was very surprised on how fast my food came. Very inexpensive. I had the chicken casado tipico which comes with a fresh fruit drink. The drink was Guayaba and was very good. I added an order of fresh chips and guacamole which was the highlight. Everything was good though and you couldn't beat the price.

Favorite Dish: Fresh guacamole and chips.

Guayaba drink
    • Adventure Travel

Luigi's Pizza: Terrible service and average food

by blueskyjohn Updated Jan 25, 2015

We ate here by chance but actually, if you pull over the side of the road an older waitress practically pulls you inside. The food was just ok. But all our orders were screwed up. It almost felt like they served us what ever they felt like. Tried to up sell a lot of extra and actually bought stuff out we didn't order and tried to make us pay for it. When I went up to pay they threw my nearly full bottle of soda out. When I complain, they actually went into the garbage can and fished my soda back out instead of giving me a new one!

Stay away!

• Eco-Tourism

• BLewJay's Profile Photo

Soda Las Flores: Great food and inexpensive

by BLewJay Updated Apr 10, 2013

After a long day of riding zip lines, we needed a quick bite to eat (nothing too heavy or expensive). So we drove towards Fortuna and happened to come across Soda Las Flores., looked inviting and of course is locally run so we stopped in. Prompt and friendly service and the place smelled so good so we ordered. Using our Spanish, we carried on a conversation with the cook as well as the owner...very friendly people. The food presentation as well as the amount of food we got was amazing...I think the total bill was $16/USD and that included a couple beers.

Favorite Dish: As with most Sodas, the menu is pretty basic. LJ ordered Beef Nachos and I ordered Steak Casado...ummm, ummm good!!!

• Beer Tasting

• BLewJay's Profile Photo

Rancho Club Rio Restaurant & Bar: If I could talk with the animals

by BLewJay Updated Apr 22, 2013

It was our last day in Fortuna and since we had purchased the 2-day pass from The Springs Resort and Spa, we wanted to definitely see the Wildlife Preserve for rescued animals (Cat Tour). We got to the main reception area and then waited for the shuttle to take us down to the Club Rio Outdoor Center (located 1.5 kilometers below the resort along the Arenal River). By the time we arrived at the center, the last tour for the morning had already left, so we had to wait for the next one which was at 1:00. With that, we walked over to the Rancho Club Rio Restaurant & Bar, ordered food and something to drink. Great scenery and wonderful service. Highly recommend that you visit.

Favorite Dish: Since we were hungry, we ordered Chicken Empanadas, Rum and Coke and a Bushwalker...so delicious and so good!!!

• Photography

• Snipernurse's Profile Photo

Eat where the locals eat

by Snipernurse Updated Jun 24, 2008

You may notice the large divide of resteraunts where locals eat and touristy resteraunts. Tourist resteraunts will charge you 10$ a plate, while the Soda's (more local places) will cost you 3-4$ and have just as good of food. Try to find the hole in the wall and enjoy. Your best bet is to eat at "Soda's" instead of resteraunts as they can get pricey. These sodas offer a lot of very interesting drinks for you to try, and always expect for your silverware to come inside a little plastic package, I guess this is their way of saying the utensils are clean

• Jase1177's Profile Photo

Soda La Parada: Cheap & Acceptable

by Jase1177 Updated Oct 2, 2005

This seemed to be a very popular spot with both locals and tourists. It is a small open-air establishment offering a variety of local and not-so-local items. It may look a little dingy but nothing displeasing, unless you are quite a priss. Just find an empty table and seat yourself. After you eat, go to the little booth at the front entrance and tell the person (it was a young woman) what you had and pay there. You can even buy small snacks, gum, or cigarettes from the booth.

Prices are quite inexpensive for good portions of acceptable food. I had a personal pizza with ham & cheese (yeah, I know - how local & original) and a banana batida. The pizza was decent - nothing to rave about. The batida was a good alternative to the usual ice tea or water.

If you want something good enough and inexpensive, this is definitely a fair choice, especially for the budget conscious.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Rancho La Cascada: Thin crust pizza, yum!

by blueskyjohn Updated Jan 25, 2015

A nice open air restaurant across from the park in the town center. Seated right away with menus. Fast service by Costa Rican standards. I ordered the pizza that had pepperoni, ham and meat sauce. It was excellent. MIT was a personal size pie so I was able to eat the entire pie.

I also order a small dish of fried pork that was not very good. It came with fries but the pork was so dry it was inedible. Probably would not eat here again as there are many other options in La Fortuna.

Nanko: expensive for lunch

by blueskyjohn Updated Jan 25, 2015

This place offers typical Costa Rican food. Nothing special jumped out as far as the menu. This is the former location of Plato De Chancho. Great decor now, but the food is not as good. They actually still had the same wait staff though.

I had a chicken burrito. This came with four pieces of fried Yucca. A rather sparse looking plate. I asked for lime which helped liven up the plate.

Would not eat here again. Just average food.

Instant Answers: Fortuna

Comments

Fortuna Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Fortuna restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fortuna sightseeing.