San José Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in San José

• BLewJay's Profile Photo

Soda Cafeteria: Introduction to a local custom

by BLewJay Updated Apr 2, 2013

We only stayed in San José for one day, so after getting our SIM Card at Walmart, we headed back to the car rental facility to pick up a GPS for our trip north (as mentioned before, it's highly recommended). After getting our navigation buddy squared away, we asked the guys behind the counter if they knew of a good place to eat. He said, do you want fancy or someplace where they go? We of course wanted to go where the locals go. He recommended that we stop in at a Soda for real Costa Rican food, made to order and not expensive. Ok, so where is it located? He says next door behind the oil change facility. Cool, we leave the car rental facility, make a right hand turn into the oil change facility, drive through the shop into the back and there it is, Sweet!!!

Favorite Dish: The place is called Soda Cafeteria and the workers were real friendly, plus we impressed them with our Spanish. We ordered two Chicken Empanadas and soft drinks...I think the meal came up to $5/USD.

• BLewJay's Profile Photo

Rincón del Conde Restaurant: Traditional Costa Rican food

by BLewJay Updated Apr 9, 2013

After a long day of traveling (L.A. - Houston - San José) and taking a well deserved nap in our hotel room, we decided to give the Rincón del Conde Restaurant a try. We didn't have to get into the car and drive anywhere, just put on our clothes and walk across the grounds to the restaurant. It wasn't crowded so we were able to choose our seats. Our server was nice and on top of things from the start and offered suggestions on what the best meals happened to be. Made our choices of what to eat and drink much easier and overall it was a wonderful experience.

Favorite Dish: For dinner, LJ ordered the Pargo Caribeño (Caribbean style red snapper, mussles and calamari served with scalloped potatoes and beans) with a Piña Colada while I had the Asado de Cerdo (grilled pork wrapped in bacon topped with a cream sauce and served with rice and beans) with a Costa Rica Laguna (a drink made with Cacique...the Tico national rum). Fantastic meal all the way around!!!

• wesbri's Profile Photo

El Grano de Oro: Golden Grain: a piece of France in CR

by wesbri Written May 30, 2006

European cuisine with the best French cook in town in an environment of flowers, tropical trees and singing birds...it is like Paris in the Tropics...

Favorite Dish: Continental cusine with local savour...
    Steak with a black bean sauce...incredible..
    a lot of tropical fruits...
    wine selection is wide....

• Jase1177's Profile Photo

The News Cafe: Too Touristy & Poor Food

by Jase1177 Written Oct 3, 2005

Okay, I had a lapse of "gotta eat where the food is like home". I read a review of this place in my guidebook and thought it would be nice place to sit and read while I grabbed food. It is definitely a place where unadventurous tourist go to eat. The location is good if you are downtown.

I ordered a fish sandwich, thinking it would be a good choice because of the plethora of little fishes not far from San Jose. I was quite disappointed in this selection. It was essentially like something one can get out of the freezer section at any US grocery store, slap it on a semi-stale bun, add fries, & throw it on a plate. I think I have had better at Denny's. But I did finish eating it and was not so disgusted to complain or walk out.

The only saving grace was the Kaluha Layer Cake. It was essentially that...at layer cake incorporating Kaluha, icing, caramel, and chocolate. It was quite rich. Although I call it a saving grace, it was just better than mediocre.

Although I hesitate to say click "Totally Unsatisfied", I would not recommend this for anyone wishing for an outstanding

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

Esmeralda: Late at night !!!!

by jlanza29 Written May 3, 2004

By having cousins that lived in Costa Rica for years, they knew all the in's and out's and this is an "IN" place.......It is a place that the upperclass comes and gathers after partying all night long in Escazu.....the theme is Mexican, with Mariachhi's standing outside waiting to be hired to sing for various minutes. Lots of people who have had to much to drink come here and have an even better time...lots of hollering and whistling makes this place a MUST DO in San Jose !!!!!

Favorite Dish: Ask for the sortido plate.....it's a combination plate that has everything Mexican imaginable, enough to feed 4 people it's worth the spurge of $15 US !!!!!

• Business Travel

Instant Answers: San José

Comments

San José Restaurants

Reviews and photos of San José restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for San José sightseeing.