San José Shopping

Best Rated Shopping in San José

• BLewJay's Profile Photo

Parada de Walmart San Sebastián: Everything you need

by BLewJay Written Mar 31, 2013

We have an unlocked phone which we use when traveling to other countries. So as soon as we land, we head to the telephone shop to purchase a local SIM Card. Well we asked the locals where we can purchase a SIM card...they said go to Walmart. Easy...there was a Walmart Supercenter near our hotel, so we loaded up the SUV and off we went.

What to buy: Got to the store, asked customer service for assistance, and they lead us to the phone center. We purchased a Claro SIM Card and within twenty minutes, we had a working phone.

What to pay: It cost about $10/USD

• Jase1177's Profile Photo

7th Street Books: Good English Books on Costa Rica & Travel

by Jase1177 Written Oct 3, 2005

This bookstore is nothing elaborate but has a good selection in its open setting. The majority of the books here are in English. Although not the megabookstores of the US, it has a fair selection for a small location. If you want some reading material on or regarding Costa Rica (including several pamphelt types on food), this a great place to go. I think the best thing about this store is its travel selection. It has so many travel books, especially for Central & South Americas. Great little find here.

Be aware that most books are in shrink wrap; so you will not be able to browse without purchasing. The prices on most items were fair.

What to pay: Average book prices...no unfortunate markups here.

• Mercado Central: A Hidden Treasure Easy to Find

by AnjoLuci Updated Jul 15, 2004
    Mercado Central

Mercado Central is a place to go when visiting San Jose.
    It is an experience that you must go through.
    The hallway, isle throughout Mercado Central is no larger than 1,5 meters or about 1,5 yards.
    At first when I saw the outside I was afraid to go in...

What to buy: Spices, Cheese, leather sandals... the place is so huge!

What to pay: I bought postcards there and I was sorry I did. I paid 200 colones there, later in another place for the same postcards I paid 60 colones, more than three times less. The best way to do shopping is to look around first and always ask the price... You will be amazed how much you can save.

Otherwise things are very reasonable. Bargain! They charge much more when they see you are a tourist.

• Cow's tongue at Mercado Central: Have you ever seen tongue?

by AnjoLuci Written Jul 15, 2004
    Cattle's tongue

Inside Mercado Central they sell everything...
    Any kind of meet, spices, seafood, herbs, clothes... well, go there see for yourself

What to buy: You don't have to buy tongue.
    Many restaurants in San Jose have tongue in their menu.

What to pay: No clue!

Instant Answers: San José

Comments

San José Shopping

Reviews and photos of San José shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for San José sightseeing.