Orosí Things to Do

Me in the plantations of Orosí
    Some coffee beans in Orosí
    by Pieter11
    In the coffee plantations in Orosí

Most Recent Things to Do in Orosí

• Pieter11's Profile Photo

Orosí's coffee plantations

by Pieter11 Written May 21, 2008

Me in the plantations of Oros��

The village of Orosí is mostly famous for its good coffee plantations. The valley is situated just southeast of the city of Cartago and is shaped by the Rio Reventazón (also called Rio Parismina) that floads through it.

At both sides of this river the hills rise up: hills covered with the dark-green colour of the coffee plants. The straight lines in which the little trees are planted are visible from way down the hills and make a nice pattern in the landscape.

It is possible to make walks through the plantations to see the coffee plants from closeby: the green until red beans are everywhere and make it to a colourful sight. There also are trips that you can book to see the further production of the coffee: from the harvesting and the drying until the roasting of the black gold.

• Pieter11's Profile Photo

Orosí's church

by Pieter11 Written May 21, 2008

Oros��'s old church

The church in Orosí, situated at a nice, green square is the oldest church in Costa Rica that is still in use, and one of the oldest ones in the whole of Central America. It was built when the Spaniards arrived in the area and first established their settlements here, in this part of the country.

The church in Orosí was built in 1743. The front facade is pretty simple and has a basic, roman appearance. The church is still in use and can be visited. There also is a small museum next to it that shows the history of the church.

• swimming in the rivers

by arasnosliw Updated Mar 31, 2006

Take a dip in the Orosi River. It moves pretty rapidly, but this little boy didn't drift off by Mother Nature's force, so I wasn't too intimidated.

This river runs through the town. To find the best swimming spots, follow the river southeast for 30 minutes or so.

• hiking up through the trees and coffee fields

baaaaaah

This obstinate little goat did not want me to hike up this mountain road. It kept trying to head butt me. Luckily the silly thing was chained up and couldn't chase after me as I circumvented it.

Later I found out that I was actually treading on a farmer's land, so I guess this was his makeshift "watchdog" - it even had a big bell attached to its neck.

It was a gorgeous sight to hike up a steep mountain into the coffee fields. To think of what delicious byproduct would soon be made of these beans...it left me salivating.

This hike got ridiculously steep at some point that I had to pull myself up by tree limbs in order to ascend. I was like a monkey grasping onto branches. It soon started to rain and I tried to scuttle down immediately, but seeing how hard it was to get up to this point, you can only imagine the drama of getting back down. I've told the rest of this traumatic story here if you care to read about it.

Anyway, after recuperating from the awful pain I met this farmer. Apparently it was his land I was stumbling around on. Luckily he wasn't mad, but indeed very friendly. We began to chit chat in Spanish, and immediately became friends. He helped me bandage myself up, we went to go mock his pet goat, and he showed me around his farm and the rest of his 1000000 animals. Later we snuck into some rich foreigner's house that he was supposed to be "housesitting" and took a swim in the pool to clean myself off. He even introduced me to his wife and children. What a man.

• Hiking and Walking

• warm my aching bones

by arasnosliw Updated Mar 31, 2006

Orosi is truly known for its hot springs and thermal baths. You'd be silly to miss out on the opportunity to dip into some all natural springs for free. Even I, amidst the sweltering summer heat and humidity, could use a little soak. Just jump into the river nearby to prevent from boiling your brains.

If you don't want to hike outside town to find the natural hot springs, there are very cheap thermal baths in town. Balneario Termal Orosi and Balneario de Aguas Termales los Patios to be exact. It doesn't cost more than a couple dollars to go marinate your bones.

• Spa and Resort

• did your owner eat your butt for dinner?

by arasnosliw Updated Mar 31, 2006

Okay I have to admit, I wrote the title of this tip about 9 months ago, and now I have absolutely no clue what I was making reference to. I can only laugh because now I look like a fool who talks about eating horse butts.

• Horse Riding

• be a lazy sloth

by arasnosliw Updated Mar 30, 2006

take a siesta in a hammock

I love handmade Costa Rican hammocks. Some are more comfortable than others, but each varies in color, style, width, and quality. Take the opportunity to buy one and bring it home if you can. Many people agree that it is an acquired comfort to lie in one, but once you've taken a liking to them, you may never want to sleep in a bed again.

Every morning I would wake up, eat my breakfast, and relax on a hammock. During the afternoon I would read and take a little siesta on a hammock while waiting for the rain to clear up.

You'll see them everywhere; hung between trees, in restaurants and bars, on your hotel room porch. Really, take advantage of them.

Call me lazy, but they're great.

Instant Answers: Orosí

Comments

Orosí Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Orosí things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Orosí sightseeing.