If you only have time for visiting one vulcano choose Turrialba. The reasons? Here they are:
1. Entrance to the National Park is (still) free
2. You can walk around the caldera, directly at its edge through sulfur steams,... (not possible at Poas, Irazu)
3. There are (up to now) only little tourists
4. The way there may be a little bit bumpy (4WD recommended) but leads you through a picturesque rural area
Just check the weather - like for all the other volcanoes - it can be really cloudy up there.
To get there follow the signs to the volcano from the town of Turrialba.
- Hiking and Walking
- National/State Park
Down the road from the lodge is a trapiche, the old-style sugarcane press.You may want to explore along roads in the 125-acre farm or along the Tuis river.
- Adventure Travel
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices