Sámara Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Sámara

• Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

Pizza & Pasta a GoGo: Pizza Pizza

by Tom_In_Madison Written Nov 19, 2008

Located on the Main Street, in front of Hotel Gioda. They have big plates of pasta and big tasty pizzas among other things. Huge selection of pizzas. I had the pizza, and it was good and reasonably priced. Someone next to me had a big bowl of pasta and it looked great too.

• Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

Restaurant Coco: Nice quiet restaurant, good food

by Tom_In_Madison Written Nov 19, 2008

Restaurant Coco
    A very nice restaurant right on the middle of Main St. Walk back to the back yard for the open-air restaurant. They have the most extensive menu I saw in Costa Rica, and the food was real good.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Rancho de la Playa: Great bargin specials!

by blueskyjohn Updated May 11, 2013

This restaurant is connected to a hotel. Great atmosphere with with live music (two men, keyboard and guitar). The food was outstanding , especially the special of the day which was Mahi Mahi, caught that day. It was only 2500 colones ($5 usd)!

Favorite Dish: While the food was very good, my favorite dish here was the dessert. They have crepes filled with mixed fruit and vanilla ice cream on the side. They also bring out various bottles of toppings so you could put on as much as you like. I got my crepe with just bananas. With the ice cream and chocolate topping it was awesome!

My dessert!  So good! The Mahi Mahi special.  Fresh and only $5 usd!
    • Surfing
    • Water Sports

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Lo Que Hay: Still my favorite lunch spot!

by blueskyjohn Updated Jan 10, 2015

Update January 2015: Thankfully this place is still open. And to my surprise the new owner is Megan, a for waitress at Rancho de la Playa! Megan is great and the food is still the same great quality and taste. We always eat here between morning and afternoon surfing. Conveniently located on the beach next to Tico Surfing and across from Casa del Mar.

This place is right on the beach across from the Casa del Mar Hotel. They have seating on a little patio or tables right on the beach, many shaded by palm trees. Beside the food being great, you can pre-order your meals! A few of use ate here for lunch and liked it so much wanted to bring our entire group back (13 people). As with all restaurants in Costa Rica, the food could take a loooong time to arrive. Our waited told us to stop by in the morning before we head out and place our lunch order.

Sure enough, the food did not take nearly as long as you would think for 13 eating in Costa Rica.

I highly recommend this place!

Favorite Dish: All the taco options are great. A few in our party tried the pizza and it was a lot for one person. I had the mojo pork, chorizo and fajita tacos. they are three separate tacos sold as a combo with chips and guacamole. 3000 colones (about $6 usd) and a great bargain.

Jalapeno filled with cream cheese wrapped in becon
    • Water Sports

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Coco's Restaurant: Home cooked meals!

by blueskyjohn Updated May 11, 2013

Coco's is located straight up from the beach and it is run by local residents so everyone can direct you to the location. There is an internet cafe in front but not associated with the restaurant. Each meal is cooked to order, fresh, so it does take a little time to get your food. I prefer going here for lunch but dinner is good as well. The smoothies are not to be missed. I thought the Papaya was best. Make sure to order with ice cream or milk, not water.

Favorite Dish: Carne consada (picture below) or pollo consada. All tasty.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

El Lagarto: Best food in Costa Rica! Not to be missed!

by blueskyjohn Updated Jan 11, 2015

Update January 2015: El Legarto has changed location! Still the same great food and they kept the same unique grilling technique. New directions are given below.

First I must start with the ambiance. This restaurant is right on the beach with a wood fence separating from the main beach. The dinning area is on sand under palm and other local tree. The table are unique wood sculptures. All the waitresses seem to be ex-pats from various countries from USA and Europe. All speak very good English.

The most special part of this restaurant is the way they cook all the meals. They have a huge grill, however the fire is well above the head of the chef/cook. As the wood burns and create embers, the cook shakes them down and pushes them under the grill. So everything is cooked by the heat of the embers and little to no flames. The taste is amazing!

Favorite Dish: The pork loin is out of this world. grilled with vegetables, it is one of the best meals I have ever had. Every year I visit I have this meal each night I am in Samara!

Pork loin (half order) grilled veggies chicken on Unique plate

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Casa Esmarelda: Good food for dinner!

by blueskyjohn Updated May 11, 2013

Very good food but smaller portions than what you would expect. Samara has few really good restaurants but this is one of them. If you are staying in Samara for a few days, this should be on your schedule for dinner.

The only complaint I had was the very slow service but we dined up stairs which is private and out of the way of everyone so I think we were easily forgotten.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

La Mana Panaderia: Try the Guava pastry!

by blueskyjohn Updated May 11, 2013

I've walked past this place so many times. I finally took the time to stop in one morning to buy some pastries. I'm glad I did. They open at 7am, tucked away on the corner of Main street (Via Arriba) and rt 160. There is some outdoor seating within a little compound/courtyard. I had a small blueberry muffin and a pastry filled with Guava jelly. That was very good. I actually went back later in the morning to buy more for our road trip to our next location and they were sold out. This is my new go to place in the morning. They also have lunch items that I will try next visit. They were reasonably priced.

Favorite Dish: The Guava jelly fill pastry.

Gusto Beach: Expensive for average food

by blueskyjohn Updated May 11, 2013

Went here for lunch. This restaurant has a great location, right on Samara Beach. Shaded area, beach tables. Large seating for watching the waves as well as bean bags for relaxing. Service was good, fast but expensive. My lunch was $14 and all I received was a piece of grilled chicken, very small portion of rice and small portion of salad. Oh yes, it came with a drink! Too bad because I love the location and atmosphere.

Couldn't believe this was $14 usd. Main entrance from road walkway from front enterance to seating and beach

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Princesa Bakery and Ice Cream parlor: Nice Bakery - check out the dulce de leche cookie

by blueskyjohn Updated May 11, 2013

I've been going here for years. It is convenient when arriving and leaving town as it is on the main street on the edge of town. Nice selection, good coffee, some outdoor seating and reasonably priced. they open at 7am. Lunch is also available but I have only gone here for pastries

Favorite Dish: The dulce de leche cookie was very good. Two short bread cookies sandwich a thick layer of Dulce de Leche, then the edge coated in coconut.

Lemon muffin Dulce de Leche cookie

El Lagarto: Best BBQ in Samara

by sean420 Written Sep 7, 2006

This restaurant has a giant BBQ along the side and specializes in chicken and steaks. We had cocktails, split a salad and both had big steaks with a large potato and vegetables. Our bill with tax and tip came to $56 (pricey for Costa Rica and the most expensive meal we ate) but was well worth it. I saw someone being served the chicken which looked pretty good and was only $9.50.

• sean420's Profile Photo

Shake Joe's: Giant chairs on the beach!

by sean420 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Shake Joe's is located right on the beach and features oversized sofas to lounge on while eating your lunch or sipping a cocktail, beer or one of Joe's famous fruit shakes. It's really nice at night with the colored lights on the trees and music playing.

Favorite Dish: The tuna sandwiches are really good and fresh

Shake Joe's

Panderia Bohemia: Awesome pasteries

by sean420 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I found this great bakery on the street that parallels the main street in Samara to the east. It’s called Bohemia and they have some awesome pastries. I got a pineapple pastry (still hot out of the oven) with coffee for only 400 colones (about 80 cents)

Panderia Bohemia

Ma Ma Gui: Roadside dining - decent food and fumes

by blueskyjohn Updated May 11, 2013

The owners are french and so are the waiters. The interior has very little seating. Most of the seating is outdoor in front of the restaurant, literately next to the road. In concept this is nice. However, at times the cars and trucks zipping by were loud and the fumes from these cars made the experience terrible. I was a large group and we were spread across two separate table. The waiter for our table was a bit rude. I asked what kind of beer they have, his response was "everything" but with an attitude. So the beer I ask for (it was a local that every place has had), they didn't have it. So I guess they don't have everything.

Time to order. I opted for the hamburgers. Said two with no other description. What came was two 4oz burgers. In addition there were all sorts of things on the burger, cheese, pickles, tomato, lettuce, onion and some mystery pink sauce. Well I see other people from my group are eating a wonderful looking fish dish. Apparently it was the special which our waiter neglected to tell us they had.

For dessert I had a crepe with banana and ice cream, which was the highlight. Later, speaking with a local I learned I should have tried the pizza or crepe dinners, that is what they are known for. I plan to try them next visit. However it should be later in the evening when there is less traffic.

Favorite Dish: banana crepe

Fish special.  Looks pretty good Cars pass by pretty close to the tables
    • Eco-Tourism

• BLewJay's Profile Photo

Lo Que Hay Bar & Taqueria: Sun, sand and tacos

by BLewJay Updated May 21, 2013

After a morning of kayaking and snorkeling, we headed to town to look for a bite to eat. We found a parking spot just off the main drag and walked along the street next to the beach. Heard folks laughing and having a good time, so we decided to stop in and see what's up. The place is called Lo Que Hay ("What It Is" in Spanish) and is located on the beach just east of the police station. We found our place for lunch...you can pass the time under the shade of trees watching the surfers and all the beach activity, sit in the courtyard and watch the locals play poker or head inside the shelter to sit at the bar, eat food and watch sports on the big screen tv. Service is excellent, the selection of tacos is awesome and the beer is cold, what else could you ask for!!!

Favorite Dish: It was Taco Tuesday, so you can order beer and a taco for $3 USD. We had two fish tacos, two chorizo tacos, chips/salsa along with two beers...all for less than $10. Amazing eats!!!

• Beer Tasting

Instant Answers: Sámara

Comments

Sámara Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Sámara restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sámara sightseeing.