Tamarindo Favorites

by a005116

Most Recent Favorites in Tamarindo

• Dental Emergency

by floragv Written Aug 26, 2008

Favorite thing: I was learning how to surf in Tamarindo....... and of course I fell ( like most of the time) I hit the board with my face and I broke my front tooth, this was on a saturday afternoon, my local friend Carlos took me bleeding an d crying to a cople of dental clinics, but they were closed for the weekend he called several times and no one answered the phone, until we called this doctor Jenaro Molina guy from Clinica Dental Tamarindo, who was nice enough to attend me..... Dr Molina took away my pain, sttoped the bleeding and fixed my tooth..... I'm just writing to share my experience in case something happens to you..... he's the doctor to call!!!|

Fondest memory: I missed watching the monkeys, sunsets and one or two imperials at the beach

• Jase1177's Profile Photo

Gorgeous Sunsets

by Jase1177 Written Sep 12, 2005

Favorite thing: Many of the tips I read on Tamarindo included the sunsets. I made sure that I watched a sunset to see what it was like in person. I was not disappointed in the least!!! You must take the time to watch a sunset on the Playa Tamarindo. Whether you do at one of the many restaurants or bars or just sitting on the beach, you will not forget the dazzling colors strewn about the ocean, beach, & sky.

• Adventure Travel

• jenn_d's Profile Photo

All who wander are not lost

Sampling local fruit

Favorite thing: Almost everyone who lives in Tamarindo knows a guide who will show you around the country side or arrange a day trip for you. All guides are not created equal. The guide who took us to Buena Vista was less than enthusiastic while the son of our house manager was full of character and national pride. While driving south he was constantly scanning the trees and roadside for wildlife and fauna. He stopped countless times in route, once even to pick fruit from a roadside tree.

Look Up

Who Let the Dogs Out?

Favorite thing: Monkeys are everywhere! There was a family of about 20 howler monkeys living in the trees above our B&B. Howler monkeys make a sound similar to the bark of a German Shephard and there was one night inparticular when no one at the B&B got any sleep. It sounded like a monkey war of the worlds outside..the noise on our roof and the shreiking were so loud and aggressive that I literally expected to find a monkey corpse on my doorstep the next morning

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

by jenn_d Written Mar 30, 2005

Favorite thing: There are only two ATM's in town. The first is Banco Costa Rica..which only accepts CR ATM cards, the second is at the Best Western which accepts most cards with the exception of ones bearing the Mastercard symbol. Of the four us, only Luis was able to withdrawal cash/colones. The closest ATM's outside of Tamarindo are an hours drive away in Liberia. Fortunately we drove through Liberia on a day trip, so we all stocked up and paid Luis back!

Many of the establishments took credit cards but smaller places, such as the grocery store did not.

• krisfromthevalley's Profile Photo

Eat cheap with local food

by krisfromthevalley Written Dec 29, 2004

Favorite thing: Eat at the local restaurants. They are very cheap and shop at the supermarkets for food if you are on a budget. The restaurants have rice, beans, chicken, and beer all for about three American dollars.

Fondest memory: Guaro ...........and frescas...drink of choice--alcohol.

Bananas con leche- non-alcoholic.

• a005116's Profile Photo

Parque nacional Marino Las Baulas

by a005116 Written Mar 21, 2004

The little ones

Favorite thing: had the luck to be working in this park for some time. Working by night and drinking coffee by the (sleeping was not really possible due to the tiny muscitos terrorizing me).

The national park 'las Baulas' is one of the major spots (the largest of the pacific) for the impressive leatherback turtles (averagely 1m80). Every night (season peak in November-January) the turtles come to lay their eggs in the sand. Because of their weight it takes up to 1,5 hour to finish the job and go back in the sea. In march the little ones come out and start their race to the water, terrorized by hungry birds, iguanas, ... and the sun. Not so many make it, but those who do still have a hard live before them. When you look to the statistics you'll see that the number of leatherbacks are decreasing extremely fast.

I worked together with the other park rangers and the biologists to make sure there is no single problem for these sensitive animals to lay there eggs. The biologists did a great part of the research and wedid the other part and made sure the eggs where save for preditors ánd humans. For the Tico's Turtle (egg) is still a delicacy.

Visiting the park at night (when the turtles come) is only possible with guides. The're organized tours from the neighbooring village of Tamarindo. The park rangers warn the guides over an intercom when the're turtles spotted so you don't have to walk all that end for nothing.

There is also an interesting museum next to the park ranger station, runned by a verry friendly frenchman. Visiting the museum is a good way to get to know more about the turtles before actually seeing them.

NOTE: Don't bring white flashlights with you or at least cover them with a red filter. The turtles are extremely sensetive for light and they would get desoriented by seeing you flashlight.

Phone:
    (506) 686-4967 (MINAE - Español)

Website:

Other Contact:
    http://www.sinac.go.cr (Español)

• National/State Park

• a005116's Profile Photo

Tamarindo

by a005116 Written Jun 4, 2003

Sunset at Tamarindo beach

Favorite thing: Tamarindo is to may what it is to the average Tico (Costa Rican), a gringo town. The're more foreigners walking around than Costa Ricans. Although Tamarindo is a nice place to escape the rice and beans in one of the many nice restaurants along the main street. The beach is especialy loved by surfers. If you'de like more to swim you better go a bit further to Playa Langosta.

• vicky_cannae's Profile Photo

sunsets

by vicky_cannae Written Feb 18, 2003

Fondest memory: the amazing sunsets!!
    Sometimes we were still on the water trying to catch a wave and saw the sun going down!!!

Instant Answers: Tamarindo

Comments

Tamarindo Favorites

Reviews and photos of Tamarindo favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tamarindo sightseeing.