Tamarindo Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Tamarindo

• Kahiki Restaurant: Kahiki...Good Times, Great Food

by Vikings21 Written May 18, 2007

We came to Tamarindo in March and had a great stay although it was a little bit crowded. On our second night, we discovered Kahiki, after a few locals recommended it to us. We ate there every night for the remainder of our trip. Not only is the food, and Chef Steve incredible, but the entire experience was great. The portions were very large and filling after a day of surfing and swimming. The staff was friendly and remembered our names and drink of choice each time we came in. The music was great although a bit eclectic and the building it is housed in, a giant rancho was spectacular. The owner, Danny made sure to stop by our table each night to chat. We will definetely be back!

Favorite Dish: Tuna Sashimi
    Pork Tenderloin
    Shrimp Spring Rolls

• School Holidays
    • Surfing

• Dragonfly: if it's busy, don't go

by lickerish Updated Mar 17, 2007

We had experienced wonderful food & service our first few nights in Tamarindo. We were really looking forward to dinner at Dragonfly. We could see that the restaurant was busy earlier by all the dirty tables. We found one that was kinda clean & sat down. After 15 minutes I finally got up to request menus, I was told they were over there. I brought them back to our table & assumed the owner would clue in. No such luck, no one came to our table. I went to the bar & ordered from the bartender. I had to make 3 trips back & forth to the table since I ordered 2 drinks each as well as bottled water for us. During this other customers were trying to get my attention thinking I worked there. Unfortunatley I had ordered appetizers before being informed that they were out of steak. We sucked back our cocktails, ate our mediocore appetizers & got out of there. When we did get the bill we were charged a 10% service charge even though on the menu they claim to not include a service charge since they know people will tip more since the service is the best in Tamarindo. Ya right! Well we did get great service & food that night but not at Dragonfly, we went to The Lazy Wave again where we have never been disappointed.

• jenn_d's Profile Photo

Tia Maria: Local Hospitality

by jenn_d Updated Dec 8, 2006

Tia Maria's is a home who's downstairs has been converted into a quiet and intimate restaurant with a mere 7 tables on the patio and inside. The service and the experience are extremely personal. Our house manager called Maria after Luis proposed to me and arranged for a bottle of champagne to be waiting for us. This was the only place in Tamarindo besides the two major hotels that served champagne!

We would not have found this place if our house manager did not suggest it.

Favorite Dish: Costa Rica is well known for having excellent beef. With this in mind, I chose the beef tenderloins.

We enjoyed an incredible chorizo dip with toasted bread squares for an appetizer.

Dinner is served

• CaptainDan's Profile Photo

Happy Snapper: Eat fresh seafood

by CaptainDan Written Sep 23, 2006

They have some of the best seafood around. Almost every place in Tamarindo has great seafood so make sure you check out a couple places while in town. Our favoriate was called The Happy Snapper just outside of town in Playa Brasilito.

Favorite Dish: Any of the seafood rice dishes are excellant.

• Kindra's Profile Photo

Witch's Rock Surf Camp Cafe: Big ass nachos and other eats

by Kindra Written Jul 24, 2006

Nice little cafe overlooking the ocean next to the surf camp. Will see a lot of surf instructors and alumni hanging about. Take shelter from the rain, catch a sunset or take advantage of 2-for-1 happy hour drinks while munching on some nachos or cheesy fries.

Favorite Dish: Most popular order has to be their legendary big ass nachos which indeed are BIG enough to satisfy two hungry girls after spending 7 hours on a bus!

This place is not cheap but neither is anywhere in Tamarindo and the nachos will run you $10 (though good to share between 2 or 3 people).

Big as your ass nachos

• Kahiki: Our Favorites

by krissis Written Apr 30, 2006

We liked this restaurant so much we came back! Great food, great service, and great atmosphere. Its an open-air restaurant with these really cool lights hanging all over the place. The bartender and waitresses were so friendly, the bar tender even offered to take my brother out on a surfing trip! Try the spring rolls!

Copacabana: Great Place to Watch the Sunset with a Drink

by Jase1177 Written Oct 4, 2005

This place is mainly an outdoor restaurant with a nice view. There are various tables, including low lounge tables, and lounge chairs to enjoy the view in varying states of relaxation. If you are looking for a place to have a drink, snack, or dinner while the sun sets, this a good choice.

On my first evening in Tamarindo, I sat at the Copa having nachos and drinks. The nachos were pretty good, especially the natilla mixed with herbs. I first had a frozen drink that included lemon vodka sorbet, then switched to beers as time progressed.

This is very popular in the early evening, particularly because of the view, so make sure arrive early enough.

Although the food was fair, the prices seemed a little inflated compared to the average and for what you get.

Favorite Dish: Nachos were good.

At the Copa.. View from the Copa

Mama's Pizzeria: I Didn't Hate It

by Jase1177 Updated Sep 30, 2005

It takes a lot for me to really hate something. This place did not fulfill that requirement but it was not what I classify as a great meal. I would classify it as only so-so. Plus I hate to pan a place on one experience.

I had the Quatro Queso Pizza (4-Cheese Pizza). Although the dough & crust were interesting (a cross between foccacia bread & croissant dough), the pizza was a little bland.

The cost was about average for the area, not what I would call expensive.

The dining area was a nice little open-air patio with good view of the main street to people-watch.

Overall, I would say that it met my need for sustenance at that point without feeling like I was ripped off with the price.

Pachanga: My Favorite Restuarant while in Costa Rica

by Jase1177 Updated Sep 19, 2005

This restaurant is up the road from the fork (the same way to Stella's). It has a small, unassuming entrance through a couple trees & plants across from the Pasatiempo & as part of the "lobby" for the Hotel Mamiri.

The dining area is an open-air terrace with a "modern beach chic" (my thoughts on how it looked) atmosphere. The staff was incredibly friendly and spoke several languages (English, Spanish, Italian, & German is what I heard). The atmosphere was quite gentle and relaxed. The music was a mix of electronic, dance, & world infusions (definitely a combination that fit the ambience), but not over-powering.

This is definitely a must for a special treat dinner, even though I would have gone every night if I learned of it earlier.

Favorite Dish: My favorite item here by far was the White Chocolate Mousse w/ Strawberries!! This was the reason I returned for a second night (although I knew the main dish would not disappoint).

The main dishes were quite dilectable. One night I had the Seared Tuna with a honey-chili sauce that was great. The side dishes included mashed sweet-potatoes and string beans and zucchini. The other dish I had was was the Fish Shermoula (which was Mahi topped with a parsely-cumin-garlic tapenade). Both dishes were terrific!!

Pedro's: Great Inexpensive Seafood

by Jase1177 Written Sep 15, 2005

Pedro's is a small unassuming locale on the beach. It is easy overlook because it is just a small square building with a few picnic tables at the beach. Although it can look like a dumpy place, the food does wonders for the palate. It does offer a great view of the ocean from any of the tables.

It is also quite inexpensive for the portions that are served.

Favorite Dish: I had the fish tacos that came with a platter of rice & beans and a small salad. The fish was so fresh and had wonderful light seasoning. The soft tortillas were increadibly fresh and grilled. There was a sliver of fantastic cheese and a few grilled onions.

The overall taste of the fresh fish with the cheese and tortilla made a great lunch for a really inexpensive dish.

• jenn_d's Profile Photo

Witch's Rock Surf Cafe: Bring your board

by jenn_d Written Mar 30, 2005

I admit we we lured here by the sign as well as the promise of ice cold beer..but the nachos were not as promised (enlarge the photo to see what I mean).

Upstairs are very sparse accomodations for weeklong surf camp participants

Favorite Dish: Yummy fish tacos...

• holligolytly's Profile Photo

El Jardin del Eden: Catch of the day - Costa Brava style

by holligolytly Written Jun 8, 2004

This was a very nice (casual fine dining) type restaurant at a luxury hotel in Tamarindo. The food was excellent as well as the service. The hotel is located on a small hill at only 3 walking minutes from the beach. It features a magnificent view of the entire Tamarindo Bay, one of the best places to enjoy the magnificent sunsets of the Pacific Ocean!

Favorite Dish: I really loved the red snapper served costa brava style (the catch of the day with their house creamy sauce) Delicious! The salads were also very good.

• Spa and Resort

• holligolytly's Profile Photo

El Jardin del Eden: Catch of the day - Costa Brava style

by holligolytly Written Jun 8, 2004

• Stella's: Unbelievable Seafood Platter!

by marco34 Written Dec 2, 2003

Definitely one of the best restaurants in Tamarindo. Beautiful grounds, incredibly large menu with something for everyone. Excellent service. Free customer shuttle. A great website with lots of info and a map.
    From fresh made pastas andwood oven pizzas to the largest selection of fresh fish in the Town.
    We tried many restaurants in our 2 month stay, but kept going back to Stella again and again for it's consistently great quality and very reasonable prices.

Favorite Dish: Definitely the seafood platter for 2! Served on a large silver platter with lobster, 5 diffent types of fresh fish, mussels, clams, calamari --the works. The presentation was so spectacular we even took a picture of it!

• Surfing
    • Beaches

• pollon's Profile Photo

Taco Stop: tacos y burritos...

by pollon Updated May 14, 2003

if instead you feel like some mexican taste, the Taco Stop is a few steps ahead the Gecko Restaurant, just in front of the campground.
    And the person at the counter was sooo kind... a funny note: while I was leaving him a tip for the nice service, he was making me a discount in the bill...
    In the pic fishermen caught in the morning while going out on the sea...

Favorite Dish: and unless you are really starving, don't even think to order two tacos, its dimension is HUGE!

• Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: Tamarindo

Comments

Tamarindo Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Tamarindo restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tamarindo sightseeing.