Tamarindo Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Tamarindo

• Stella's: Unbelievable Seafood Platter!

by marco34 Written Dec 2, 2003

Definitely one of the best restaurants in Tamarindo. Beautiful grounds, incredibly large menu with something for everyone. Excellent service. Free customer shuttle. A great website with lots of info and a map.
    From fresh made pastas andwood oven pizzas to the largest selection of fresh fish in the Town.
    We tried many restaurants in our 2 month stay, but kept going back to Stella again and again for it's consistently great quality and very reasonable prices.

Favorite Dish: Definitely the seafood platter for 2! Served on a large silver platter with lobster, 5 diffent types of fresh fish, mussels, clams, calamari --the works. The presentation was so spectacular we even took a picture of it!

• Surfing
    • Beaches

Pachanga: My Favorite Restuarant while in Costa Rica

by Jase1177 Updated Sep 19, 2005

This restaurant is up the road from the fork (the same way to Stella's). It has a small, unassuming entrance through a couple trees & plants across from the Pasatiempo & as part of the "lobby" for the Hotel Mamiri.

The dining area is an open-air terrace with a "modern beach chic" (my thoughts on how it looked) atmosphere. The staff was incredibly friendly and spoke several languages (English, Spanish, Italian, & German is what I heard). The atmosphere was quite gentle and relaxed. The music was a mix of electronic, dance, & world infusions (definitely a combination that fit the ambience), but not over-powering.

This is definitely a must for a special treat dinner, even though I would have gone every night if I learned of it earlier.

Favorite Dish: My favorite item here by far was the White Chocolate Mousse w/ Strawberries!! This was the reason I returned for a second night (although I knew the main dish would not disappoint).

The main dishes were quite dilectable. One night I had the Seared Tuna with a honey-chili sauce that was great. The side dishes included mashed sweet-potatoes and string beans and zucchini. The other dish I had was was the Fish Shermoula (which was Mahi topped with a parsely-cumin-garlic tapenade). Both dishes were terrific!!

• jenn_d's Profile Photo

Tia Maria: Local Hospitality

by jenn_d Updated Dec 8, 2006

Dinner is served

Tia Maria's is a home who's downstairs has been converted into a quiet and intimate restaurant with a mere 7 tables on the patio and inside. The service and the experience are extremely personal. Our house manager called Maria after Luis proposed to me and arranged for a bottle of champagne to be waiting for us. This was the only place in Tamarindo besides the two major hotels that served champagne!

We would not have found this place if our house manager did not suggest it.

Favorite Dish: Costa Rica is well known for having excellent beef. With this in mind, I chose the beef tenderloins.

We enjoyed an incredible chorizo dip with toasted bread squares for an appetizer.

• Canadian_Traveler's Profile Photo

Panaderia de Paris (at Hotel Laguna del Cocodrilo): Fresh Baked Goodies!

by Canadian_Traveler Updated Apr 4, 2011

A simple, little French bakery on the main street in Tamarindo with fabulous chocolate croissants and various other fresh baked goods (crescent rolls, breads, cookies, pastries)that will make you believe you're in a Parisian Bakery.

Favorite Dish: The chocolate croissants are delicious! But come early...they go quick!

Pedro's: Great Inexpensive Seafood

by Jase1177 Written Sep 15, 2005

Pedro's is a small unassuming locale on the beach. It is easy overlook because it is just a small square building with a few picnic tables at the beach. Although it can look like a dumpy place, the food does wonders for the palate. It does offer a great view of the ocean from any of the tables.

It is also quite inexpensive for the portions that are served.

Favorite Dish: I had the fish tacos that came with a platter of rice & beans and a small salad. The fish was so fresh and had wonderful light seasoning. The soft tortillas were increadibly fresh and grilled. There was a sliver of fantastic cheese and a few grilled onions.

The overall taste of the fresh fish with the cheese and tortilla made a great lunch for a really inexpensive dish.

• Canadian_Traveler's Profile Photo

Restaurant Laguna del Cocodrilo: Best Food in Tamarindo!

by Canadian_Traveler Updated Apr 4, 2011

open air garden setting

This restaurant is located in the Laguna del Cocodrilo hotel. The setting is in an open air garden lit mostly by candles. It's incredibly romantic but the music makes it fairly lively as well. The real treat here though, is the food. You will not be disappointed.

My husband and I had two main dishes, an appetizer to share, a bottle of wine and coffees after dinner and our bill came to ~$60, not cheap by Costa Rican standards but definitely worth the splurge. The service is top notch.

Favorite Dish: We actually ate here two nights in a row (and I usually like to experiment) because it was just that good. The first night we had the beef tenderloin and the mahi mahi and the second night we tried the jumbo coconut shrimp and the seared tuna. All the dishes were fantastic.

You must try the Caipirinha Gold (made with strawberries instead of lime...so yummy!)

• Beaches

• jkirincich's Profile Photo

Noguis: Tico food @ tico prices

by jkirincich Written Dec 13, 2007

Easily the best prices in town with a unmatched breakfast and good dinners with very large portions. Whether you prefer tico or american you'll be satisfied. A good indicator is that all the locals eat here. many times more people at all times of the day than any other restaurant in town. They have another dining area upstairs that is more upscale and the menu is more american oriented as well.

Favorite Dish: didn't have a bad meal here in 2 weeks

• Singles
    • School Holidays

• pollon's Profile Photo

Gecko Restaurant: just for a change...

by pollon Written Jan 23, 2003

definitely it's not a local restaurant and normally I don't like those places mainly for tourists but for this I must put in a good word as the people were really friendly, the local fine but not posh, the food very good and at a reasonable price.

Favorite Dish: avocado served with fresh tomato, grapes and apple in balsamic vinegar or squids in a tasty tomato sauce as a starter, fish in a lovely ginger honey sauce or in a garlic sauce and served with roast potatoes.

• pollon's Profile Photo

Taco Stop: tacos y burritos...

by pollon Updated May 14, 2003

if instead you feel like some mexican taste, the Taco Stop is a few steps ahead the Gecko Restaurant, just in front of the campground.
    And the person at the counter was sooo kind... a funny note: while I was leaving him a tip for the nice service, he was making me a discount in the bill...
    In the pic fishermen caught in the morning while going out on the sea...

Favorite Dish: and unless you are really starving, don't even think to order two tacos, its dimension is HUGE!

• Adventure Travel

gallo pinto...

by pollon Updated May 14, 2003

both if you walk the sea front from the side of the road or from the beach, it's full of restaurants where in the morning you can find from the typical desayuno tico with "gallo pinto" (rice and black beans which always come with breakfast like bread in Italy) or an american or still an european breakfast...

• Adventure Travel

pizza...

by pollon Updated Jan 24, 2003

you cannot instead avoid pizza... lots of places offer it and if you allow me a judgement: at playa Tamarindo you can find an almost perfectly Italian pizza in the local of which sorry, I cannot remember the name, but it's the one divided in two sections (on the left restaurant, on the right pizzeria), the pizzeria nearer to the main square on the beach.
    but a really good pizza is the one baked in a wood oven at playa Grande by the hombre español as I nickenamed the place but his restaurant is El Fogon, in the pic, and it also offers overnighting.

• Kahiki Restaurant: Kahiki...Good Times, Great Food

by Vikings21 Written May 18, 2007

We came to Tamarindo in March and had a great stay although it was a little bit crowded. On our second night, we discovered Kahiki, after a few locals recommended it to us. We ate there every night for the remainder of our trip. Not only is the food, and Chef Steve incredible, but the entire experience was great. The portions were very large and filling after a day of surfing and swimming. The staff was friendly and remembered our names and drink of choice each time we came in. The music was great although a bit eclectic and the building it is housed in, a giant rancho was spectacular. The owner, Danny made sure to stop by our table each night to chat. We will definetely be back!

Favorite Dish: Tuna Sashimi
    Pork Tenderloin
    Shrimp Spring Rolls

• School Holidays
    • Surfing

Copacabana: Great Place to Watch the Sunset with a Drink

by Jase1177 Written Oct 4, 2005

At the Copa..

This place is mainly an outdoor restaurant with a nice view. There are various tables, including low lounge tables, and lounge chairs to enjoy the view in varying states of relaxation. If you are looking for a place to have a drink, snack, or dinner while the sun sets, this a good choice.

On my first evening in Tamarindo, I sat at the Copa having nachos and drinks. The nachos were pretty good, especially the natilla mixed with herbs. I first had a frozen drink that included lemon vodka sorbet, then switched to beers as time progressed.

This is very popular in the early evening, particularly because of the view, so make sure arrive early enough.

Although the food was fair, the prices seemed a little inflated compared to the average and for what you get.

Favorite Dish: Nachos were good.

• jenn_d's Profile Photo

Witch's Rock Surf Cafe: Bring your board

by jenn_d Written Mar 30, 2005

I admit we we lured here by the sign as well as the promise of ice cold beer..but the nachos were not as promised (enlarge the photo to see what I mean).

Upstairs are very sparse accomodations for weeklong surf camp participants

Favorite Dish: Yummy fish tacos...

• jkirincich's Profile Photo

La Vita Bella: Great Tico, Italian, & Lebanese @ great prices

by jkirincich Written Dec 13, 2007

We visited this restaurant several times during our stay. Atop the Sea Tower hi-rise you're free of the insects and afforded a stunning sunset view of Tamarindo. They specialise in Tico, Italian, and Lebanese cuisine. Tony and Viviana will make you feel like valued friends. Case in point, Tony arranged for a sunset cruise at local prices and suggested activities we might not have considered other-wise. No stay in Tamarindo would be complete without visiting this delightful place.

Favorite Dish: We had lobster, filet mignon, lasagna, pizza, and tilapia (snapper) in the tico style. All superbly prepared and among the best prices in town.

Instant Answers: Tamarindo

Comments

Tamarindo Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Tamarindo restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tamarindo sightseeing.