Cahuita Things to Do

bridge leading in to the park
    entrance to park trail
  • Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Cahuita

• Kindra's Profile Photo

Cahuita swamp, inside the park

by Kindra Written Jun 6, 2006

If you enter the Park from the Kelly Creek Ranger Station on the northern side (most proximate to town of Cahuita), then you only need to make a donation instead of the $6-8 US fee required at all national parks.

Discover the coral reef

Cahuita Coral Reef

Beautiful coral and fish in the park. You must go with a guide according to Park regulations which is better off anyway since there are certain areas with rip tides and much of the reef has been destroyed by storms etc. so it is best to go with someone who knows the best spots to explore. You can pay $15 at any local travel shop for 2-3 hours of snorkeling or hire one of the local boatmen yourself to take you and negotiate a better price. We didn't feel like trekking the 4 km back through the jungle from the point so we flagged down a boatmen on his way back home who took us for 1000 colones each. We may have been to negotiate a better price but we felt it was fair for the half hour ride and a gorgeous alternative way to see the park.

Secluded beaches

Punta Cahuita

There are 9 kilometres of trails through jungle bordering on beach in the Cahuita National Park. This gives you an opportunity to come face to face with white faced monkeys, sloths, iguanas, lizards and many species of gorgeous butterflies. There is a coral reef beyond Punta Cahuita and many secluded beaches you can find to take in the sun and enjoy the warm waters.

BEACH AND FLOWERS

by Sininen Updated Dec 20, 2005

I had read that one shouldn't forget to take insect repellent with oneself and I was beginning to think that it was a vain advice but soon I realised that I needed the repellent after all. A herd of flying beasts attacted me, but soon I attacted them. I ahd bought the repellent in Finland and the lady in the pharmacy told me that the smell of it would keep insects away and she was right too. I didn't have any difficulties with them during my holiday. When I was crossing a small river, which at that time of the year was very shallow, so I could walk in it with my hiking boots, I met a Japanese young man who had been badly biten by mosquitos and he asked if I had repellent. I gladly borrowed him mine as there was no way I would have let my fellow traveller suffer!

• Singles

PARQUE NACIONAL CAHUITA

by Sininen Updated Dec 20, 2005

Path to Parque Nacional Cahuita

I took an early start and had the national park all to myself most of the time and I really enjoyed the solitude. I think it is a very Finnish feature, we need to be alone a lot. It was hot and the sun was shining brightly but luckily the road, which later turned into a path was shady so the heath didn't bother me that much. I walked slowly and looked around, right and left, up and down. A quick moment in the corner of my eye turned out to be a beetle hiding under the leaves or a crab running quickly into hideway. If one has patience one can spot many little creature here. I had packed a lunch with me and lots to drink. Water and fruit juices. There were tables and benches by the seaside and I sat on one of them and had my baquette and tuna sandwiches. Delicious!

• Eco-Tourism

MONKEYS AND A BUTTERFLY IN CAHUITA

by Sininen Written Nov 4, 2005

Having a rest

I was lucky enough to see some monkeys as soon as I entered the park through Puerto Vargas Ranger Station. They were jumping in the tree tops and too far for my camera to take good photos, so i just spent long time looking at them. It was like being in one of those nature documents you see on TV. Later I saw other monkeys in the bushes and this time I was able to take some photos of them too. Definitely the highlight of my walk in Cahuita National park.

• Women's Travel

COLOURFUL CARIBBEAN HOUSES

by Sininen Updated Nov 4, 2005

Cahuita is not really my kind of a place as I am not a beach person, so I found there was not much for me to do. It was also TOO HOT for me there. Anyway I did take quite a lot of photos there and liked colourful wooden houses very much.

• Birdwatching

• get in for free

by arasnosliw Written Jul 9, 2005

good thing they didn't chase after me

Now I wasn't planning on sneaking in the park for free, but I ended up somehow at the Puerto Vargas entrance (where you are required to pay!) without a cent on me. I had intended on entering the other way where it was free, but chance led me here. I encountered two Japanese travelers on the busride, and I followed them into the park as we were having fun chatting in multiple languages that we all didn't really speak. They were volunteering with the park, but I wasn't. The guards at the entrance asked us all if we were volunteers (as they didn't have to pay) and I just kept my mouth shut. Lo and behold I wandered on in with them. Don't guilt me about it now!

• howl like a monkey

by arasnosliw Written Jul 3, 2005

about to pounce on another monkey

I was anticipating seeing the monkeys in Cahuita National Park, so when I first arrived I was a bit disappointed that I did not immediately encounter any. Fast forward 15 minutes, boy was I wrong. Look high up into the trees. You have to be patient, you have to have a keen eye, but they are certainly there. Running and jumping and swinging from tree to tree, there are at least two varieties of monkeys in the park: capuchin and howler monkeys. At some point I heard an abrupt noise above my head and noticed this monkey swinging low just a few feet above me. Good thing the little punk didn't try to grab my hair. Without a good zoom, it was difficult to get a decent shot of a monkey, but that is not a huge problem. After all, I am a furry little monkey and don't need more photos of my own kind. I just have to look at my self-portrait and start howling.

• bamboozle me

taken back by some wood

There are these huge bamboo trees scattered all over the forest. Looking at their height, it makes me wonder how old they actually are. The trail through the forest is about 7 kilometers in length - don't expect it to be a quick hike though. You are going to have to wade through the river various times in order to complete the trek in its entirety. Plus you will be so distracted by all the howler monkeys and other wildlife teeming around you that you will probably stop innumerable times to take photos and gawk in awe. Give yourself 3-4 minimum hours to hike; add more time if you intend on swimming at all.

The two people pictured here are these Japanese tourists I encountered on the bus from Puerto Viejo on my way to Cahuita. They were working within the national park on a volunteer project for sea turtle conservation. Every night they walked for hours along the beach, searching for new eggs that they could place in a protected area so that locals would not steal them and sell them for profit. They were a funny bunch, and their limited english and my non-existent japanese made it all the more difficult to communicate. Good thing I have a very expressive face.

• Cahuita National Park

by arasnosliw Written Jul 3, 2005

a cloudy evening on the beach

Where the jungle borders the beach. Trek through the jungle, observe the wildlife, and when the mosquitos become too much to handle take a dive into the warm Caribbean Sea. Animals like howler and capuchin monkeys, pacas, coati, iguanas, basilisks, sea turtles, crabs, toucans, herons, racoons, opposums, and porcupines all make this place their home.

There are two entrances to the National Park - one at the edge of town in Cahuita at the Kelly Creek Station and the other several kilometers south of town at Puerto Vargas. Although the official entrance is at Puerto Vargas, I recommend entering at Kelly Creek because they only ask for a suggested donation. You can donate as little or as much as you feel like. At Puerto Vargas, there is a standard 6 USD fee.

Take the 7 km trek from one end to the other; as you go through the jungle you must wade through a river - very adventurous eh?

Don't forget your bug repellent; also be prepared to be eaten alive by sand flies - nothing will keep them away from your skin.

• TempNomad's Profile Photo

Cahuita National Park

by TempNomad Updated Jun 21, 2003

Early morning on the beach

This is an amazing park. It's all beach and rain forest. It's barely touched. I was the first person in (6 AM) one morning, and I had the entire place to myself. Lots of animals eating breakfast, beautiful sand, quiet, peace. Really cool. I highly recommend spending at least one night in Cahuita. It's the quiet, but pretty happy side of Puerto Viejo.

• Hiking and Walking

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Army Ants and Leaf cutting ants

by easterntrekker Written Jan 28, 2007

Even though I'm not a bug person ., I can't help but notice these jungle workers. Thyemarch in order across the path and stick to their mission . Pretty photogenic too.

Bathing

Caribbean Sea

Red flags on the beach means that the rip tide can make swimming dangerous so be careful and don't wade too far or stick to areas with a green flag.

PLAYA NEGRA

by Sininen Updated Nov 4, 2005

There are two beaches in Cahuita. One is called Playa Negra because of its black (not really black but dark) sand, and the other white-sand beach is in Parque Nacional Cahuita.

• Eco-Tourism

Instant Answers: Cahuita

• Dec 29, 2013 at 8:02 PM

I found out how to get a reply. This is a comment from the writer of the above. Ana .

Cahuita Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Cahuita things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cahuita sightseeing.